Your View On 'Unlimited' Hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But question for the guys who are selling unlimited, how are they going to manage it in 2-3 years when customers are using multiple Terabytes of space for dirt cheap price?

But question for the guys who are selling unlimited, how are they going to manage it in 2-3 years when customers are using multiple Terabytes of space for dirt cheap price?

What kind of website suitable for a shared hosting environment uses terabytes of space? 99.9% of such websites are under a couple/few GB.

Last edited:
What kind of website suitable for a shared hosting environment uses terabytes of space? 99.9% of such websites are under a couple/few GB.

What does the amount of space a site use have to do with the discussion.
Here's an easy formula.
If you say you offer unlimited hosting you are a liar.
End of story.

For those who are unfamiliar with the definition of liar:
A person who tells lies.

For those who are unfamiliar with the definition of a lie:
An intentionally false statement.

When someone offers ANYTHING unlimited they are making an intentionally false statement.
That makes them a liar.

How so?
Feel free to debunk any part of the statement.

Unlimited hosting simply removes the artificial limitations imposed by the predetermined disk / bandwidth quotas.
You don't have to have a hard drive capable of sustaining hundreds of terabytes of data to offer an unlimited hosting plan. Just remove the quotas, and your plan no longer has a disk or bandwidth limit. (ie. it becomes unlimited)

How so?
Feel free to debunk any part of the statement.

Stating that a plan is infinite, or deceiving your customers into thinking that they can store an infinite amount of data onto their shared hosting account, is what you would consider to be a 'lie', or more specifically, a form of false advertising.

Listing the physical hardware limitations should be a must for any reputable providing offering unlimited hosting plans.

Unlimited hosting simply removes the artificial limitations imposed by the predetermined disk / bandwidth quotas.
You don't have to have a hard drive capable of sustaining hundreds of terabytes of data to offer an unlimited hosting plan. Just remove the quotas, and your plan no longer has a disk or bandwidth limit. (ie. it becomes unlimited)

No.
There is no such thing as artificial limitations.
You set a limitation and you honor it.
Unlimited, regardless of you capabilities and expansion potential is a lie.
I guess it boils down to some people being completely incapable of comprehending the actual definition of unlimited.

Stating that a plan is infinite, or deceiving your customers into thinking that they can store an infinite amount of data onto their shared hosting account, is what you would consider to be a 'lie', or more specifically, a form of false advertising.

Listing the physical hardware limitations should be a must for any reputable providing offering unlimited hosting plans.

Really?
So you can honestly tell us that you do not understand that infinite and unlimited are the same thing?
I guess this is the problem with the industry today. Ignorance.

in·fi·nite /ˈinfənit/
Adjective
Limitless or endless in space, extent, or size; impossible to measure or calculate: "an infinite number of stars".

Noun
A space or quantity that is infinite.

Synonyms
adjective. boundless - endless - unbounded - unlimited - limitless
noun. infinity - god

No.
There is no such thing as artificial limitations.
You set a limitation and you honor it.
Unlimited, regardless of you capabilities and expansion potential is a lie.
I guess it boils down to some people being completely incapable of comprehending the actual definition of unlimited.

Artificial limitations are simply the quotas that the provider enforces, such as 5 GB of disk space and 50 GB of networking bandwidth.
These are not enforced by the server or hosting environment itself, but rather the host and the specific plan of your choosing.

Really?
So you can honestly tell us that you do not understand that infinite and unlimited are the same thing?

There's no reason to personally insult me, or anyone else for that matter.
Unlimited basically means unmetered. You're able to use whatever the physical servers can allow, but cannot go beyond the physical limitations. (unmetered networking, for example, allows for you to use as much internet bandwidth as you'd require, but you cannot go beyond what the port speed is capable of providing. So, a 100 MB port has a physical limitation of 33 TB, even though the services are advertised as being unmetered)

There's no reason to personally insult me, or anyone else for that matter.
Unlimited basically means unmetered. You're able to use whatever the physical servers can allow, but cannot go beyond the physical limitations. (unmetered networking, for example, allows for you to use as much internet bandwidth as you'd require, but you cannot go beyond what the port speed is capable of providing. So, a 100 MB port has a physical limitation of 33 TB, even though the services are advertised as being unmetered)

Nope.
Unlimited and unmetered are not in any way similar.
You can take my comments as a personal insult if you choose. That is your problem. You seem to have a history of histrionics when being called out on this issue. Such as your post from five weeks ago claiming to be quitting this forum forever.

What you fail to do is face the facts that you are wrong.
Until you are able to understand the simple simple definition of unlimited you will never be honestly representing your services.

Nope.
Unlimited and unmetered are not in any way similar.
You can take my comments as a personal insult if you choose. That is your problem. You seem to have a history of histrionics when being called out on this issue. Such as your post from six weeks ago claiming to be quitting this forum forever.

What you fail to do is face the facts that you are wrong.
Until you are able to understand the simple simple definition of unlimited you will never be honestly representing your services.

Unlimited and unmetered are identical within the shared hosting industry and market. There is no true difference between the two terms.
Unlimited is truly just a term to describe unmetered shared hosting services.

You can take my comments as a personal insult if you choose. That is your problem. You seem to have a history of histrionics when being called out on this issue. Such as your post from six weeks ago claiming to be quitting this forum forever.

Saying that I have a personality disorder is in fact a personal insult.
Not sure how that could be perceived as being a complement, or even a part of a normal conversation.

Unlimited and unmetered are identical within the shared hosting industry and market. There is no true difference between the two terms.
Unlimited is truly just a term to describe unmetered shared hosting services.

Nonsense.
Industries do not get to choose their own definitions of real dictionary words.
That is why it's called lying.
You can hide behind "marketing" and "industry standard" but at the end of the day if you offer it you are a liar.
There is a true difference.
That is not even a debatable subject.

Nonsense.
Industries do not get to choose their own definitions of real dictionary words.
That is why it's called lying.
You can hide behind "marketing" and "industry standard" but at the end of the day if you offer it you are a liar.
There is a true difference.
That is not even a debatable subject.

Then, are you suggesting that all of the large industry-leading website hosting providers are 'lying' to their consumers, simply because they are using an apparently incorrect term?
HostGator, 1and1, BlueHost, FatCow, GoDaddy. These are some of the largest and most well-known hosting providers in the world today, and they all offer unlimited website hosting services.
Are they all liars, too?

edit: I'm not saying I agree with their marketing practices.

Last edited:
Yes. They are.
Are you suggesting it's OK to lie just because bigger and better companies than you do the same thing?

Yes. They are.

Then, by your definition, the largest portion of the website hosting industry is being operated by crooks and lying thieves, falsely providing a service that doesn't even exist.

Something truly seems wrong with your statement. Would you not think that these large, highly profitable hosting providers would be taken down, or forced to change their policies? False advertising isn't exactly legal. And by your definition of the term, these large and very successful providers are in fact falsely advertising their services.

Tell me, in your professional opinion, how these hosting providers are legally allowed to offer 'unlimited' hosting services? Seriously, I'm genuinely quite interested.

Really?

Actually, Michael, the way I took Tyler's post is that he doesn't seem to disagree that physical hardware limitations should be provided. So if I understand his post correctly, he agrees that offering either unlimited (or infinite) resources is deceiving and is a form of false advertising.

Then, are you suggesting that all of the large industry-leading website hosting providers are 'lying' to their consumers, simply because they are using an apparently incorrect term?
HostGator, 1and1, BlueHost, FatCow, GoDaddy. These are some of the largest and most well-known hosting providers in the world today, and they all offer unlimited website hosting services.
Are they all liars, too?

I would agree with the statement that they are lying because it is not possible to deliver unlimited resources that you do not possess in the first place, whether you do or not impose hardware or quota limitations. No one in the world is a holder of any unlimited resources.

I think the whole argument is getting out of hand because the two industry groups (one that believes unlimited is a lie and the one that believes it is not) will never come to a common ground. It is a matter of perception of what "unlimited" is. You won't be able to convince each other in the opposite, so I suggest to just let it out there for the public to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back