Your View On 'Unlimited' Hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where have I preached anything. Don't confuse correcting misinformation with "preaching" or "championing." No one ever started one of these conversations with "limited doesn't exist" or "limited is a scam."

Nor have I posted deploring something. When you stop putting words in my mouth we can start having an intelligent discussion

I suggest you re-read some of your posts in this thread. I'm perfectly able to get my points across without attempting to belittle or insult anyone who happens to have an alternate viewpoint to my own. Some of your responses to other members here in this thread have been less than professional.

Back on topic, are you going to address the crux of the matter which I highlighted in my earlier post about you claiming not to use "artificial" limits or quotas, but your AUP states otherwise?

How much disk space can I expect to have available to me if I were to sign up to one of your "unlimited" accounts?

How big are the drives?

How do you prevent another user using all the space on the unlimited service?

What if I suddenly find another user on the server has used up all the hard drive?

What if I use up all the hard drive/partition?

These are basic questions that any customer should be able to ask a host (limited or unlimited) and get a honest reply to.

Steve

well he have never answered my question on how can he get more than 500GB of space out of a 500GB drive, all he has done is called me a liar, so i placed him on my ignore list

This is the Unlimited Policy (AUP) that we use - http://www.deroyalservers.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=18

It's displayed within a knowledge-base article for easy and clear access, rather than hidden away within the terms of service.

When looking for an unlimited provider, I specifically look for the hardware specifications, or inode restrictions. If neither are provided, I tend to look elsewhere.

(Also, since DeRoyalServers is a fairly open platform with the option to host either custom 'limited' plans or unlimited plans, I'd rather prefer if you (or anyone here) didn't simply sign up for DRS to take advantage of our open network. If you already have a host, and you're happy with them, don't switch over simply because of the open environment that we provide. I simply included a link to our policy to show what I'd consider to be the proper way to handle unlimited services. It isn't the best business approach, but it is an honest one)

well he have never answered my question on how can he get more than 500GB of space out of a 500GB drive, all he has done is called me a liar, so i placed him on my ignore list

He actually did provide you with an answer, as have I.
Both Collabora and myself have answered your '500GB' question fully, but apparently not in a way that you could properly / fully understand.

If you'd like, I could have a go at answering your questions in an easy 1 by 1 approach. Tried to do so through PM, but you took that as an attempt to carry an argument that we weren't even having.

Last edited:
so it goes back to my 500GB drive as the last i looked a drive is hardware, so has a 500GB limit.

the limits on the hardware depicts the plans you provide, such as say you have a 5TB space server that costs your $2000 a month and you offer a $5 unlimited space plan then in theory whoever takes that plan can use the whole 5TB of space for his $5 as thats what you advertised and sold him, so regardless of inodes etc, if he used the whole space that the servers hardware has then their will be no room for anyone else on the server.

and going back to

http://www.collabora365.com/aup.php

Unlimited Hosting Space and Bandwidth

All our hosting accounts do come with unlimited hosting space and bandwidth. But we start each account with a set limit but as you needs grow, simply contact us to request additional resources and we will increase it to whatever you need.

which is exactly what i have been saying all along that limits are set and have to be set and their is nothing truly unlimited.

Last edited:
so it goes back to my 500GB drive as the last i looked a drive is hardware, so has a 500GB limit.

I give Posilan credit for his reasonable and rational hosting plans. Its refreshing to see an unhypocritical limited host

But you (easyhost) offer unlimited sites, unlimited databases, and unlimited email (all of which require unlimited space) on 1 GB of space....Wait, my mistake: you offer it on 100 MB of space! And you come here and criticize hosts like myself and sidular that allegedly offer the same thing on "only" 500 GB of space?

Last edited:

the limits on the hardware depicts the plans you provide, such as say you have a 5TB space server that costs your $2000 a month and you offer a $5 unlimited space plan then in theory whoever takes that plan can use the whole 5TB of space for his $5 as thats what you advertised and sold him, so regardless of inodes etc, if he used the whole space that the servers hardware has then their will be no room for anyone else on the server.

This will depend on the provider, and their policies for inodes and the likes.
However, in theory, you are correct. If the provider is selling an unlimited hosting plan, that customer would be able to use up all of the available space on the dedicated server, which in your case, would be 500 GB.

Since the customer is not able to go beyond the physical limitations, the 500 GB limit of that server would be the max that the client is able to use. That isn't to say that the plan the client is paying for isn't truly unlimited, it just isn't infinite.

Although it is technically possible to have a 500 GB website on an unlimited hosting plan, most websites of that size would require an extensive amount of processing power to properly host. Because most providers limit the CPU and RAM usage, a 500 GB website would likely break the terms of service, and thus be removed from the network.
This isn't a limitation with the 500 GB of web documents stored, and if you operated a website that was completely static, and only had a couple of visitors every month, a 500 GB website wouldn't be much of a problem.

Last edited:
yes that question. I was asking him if his hosting could host my site with no issues. Your last post at the end of page 10 did answer that customer at least in general and maybe even for your hosting but not for the host I asked.

you offer it on 100 MB of space!

WRONG, learn to read the 100MB is a Create Own plan and for emails etc it states ' you chose' as the client ordering this would design their own plan to suit them.

as for the shared and reseller plans you will find if you try and order any apart from create your own then you will see 'out of stock' as these plans are being reconfigured as we have upgraded our servers

WRONG, learn to read the 100MB is a Create Own plan and for emails etc it states ' you chose' as the client ordering this would design their own plan to suit them.

It says "you choose" in your 100 MB plan description. There is no limit specified, therefore its apparently unlimited. Maybe I am wrong about that.

But you avoid my mention of the 1 GB Plan, under which you explicitly do offer unlimited hosting resources. So if you want to stick to that one its ok. I am sure the answer will satisfy the "you choose" plan.

Original question:

But you (easyhost) offer unlimited sites, unlimited databases, and unlimited email (all of which require unlimited space) on 1 GB of space....Wait, my mistake: you offer it on 100 MB of space! And you come here and criticize hosts like myself and sidular that allegedly offer the same thing on "only" 500 GB of space?

This came after your proclamation that its impossible to offer unlimited hosting on a 500GB hard drive that has only 500 GB of space. So in light of this, I wonder what justifies you offering unlimited hosting on 1 GB of space

Last edited:
It says "you choose" in your 100 MB plan description. There is no limit specified

this is because it is left to to the client to chose what they want for them resources as its a design your own plan, these pans actually start with none as a client may design a plan where they dont want emails or databases etc, they design a plan through a configuration tool once then client on order.

as stated i have just upgraded our servers, so I am in the process of configuring new plans, so i have disabled old plan for the time being.

this is because it is left to to the client to chose what they want for them resources as its a design your own plan, these pans actually start with none as a client may design a plan where they dont want emails or databases etc, they design a plan through a configuration tool once then client on order.

as stated i have just upgraded our servers, so I am in the process of configuring new plans, so i have disabled old plan for the time being.

That's actually a pretty handy feature. Do you have a maximum amount of space that the customer can order? What's the highest they can get?

It says "you choose" in your 100 MB plan description. There is no limit specified, therefore its apparently unlimited. Maybe I am wrong about that.

But you avoid my mention of the 1 GB Plan, under which you explicitly do offer unlimited hosting resources. So if you want to stick to that one its ok. I am sure the answer will satisfy the "you choose" plan.
I give Posilan credit for his reasonable and rational hosting plans. Its refreshing to see an unhypocritical limited host

no i did not, go and try and order 1 you will see it like all the others 'out of stock' as they are being re configured.

Call me crazy then, or maybe not....I have attached a screen shot of your plans. As I recall, you have had these plans for a long time.

So I ask, if its your contention that its impossible to offer unlimited hosting on a 500GB hard drive that has only 500 GB of space, what justifies you offering unlimited hosting on 1 GB of space. Please enlighten me.....I am willing to learn.

Attachments

• easyunlimitedhosting.JPG
    easyunlimitedhosting.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
That's actually a pretty handy feature. Do you have a maximum amount of space that the customer can order? What's the highest they can get?

currently a max. 5GB space and 50GB bandwidth, this will most likely be increased once we get our standard plans sorted.

So I ask, if its your contention that its impossible to offer unlimited hosting on a 500GB hard drive that has only 500 GB of space, what justifies you offering unlimited hosting on 1 GB of space. Please enlighten me.....I am willing to learn.

You are able to create an unlimited number of databases or other similar features within the total 1 GB space provided.
If you wanted, your entire website could consist of one giant 1 GB database, using up your entire web space allotment.

The concept is similar with the unlimited host, but I think his main reasoning is, quite simply, you are aware that you can create as many databases within the specified space provided. It's the simple fact that the space is advertised upfront that makes it 'okay' to state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back