Your View On 'Unlimited' Hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kindly direct you to page 4 of this thread, where an almost identical conversation / comparison has already taken place.

If he can't tell the difference between the gas station attendant limiting his purchase and the gas tank limiting his purchase, there is no hope of him making the distinction between a host limiting a hosting plan resource and a piece of hardware limiting a hosting plan resource

If he can't tell the difference between the gas station attendant limiting his purchase and the gas tank limiting his purchase, there is no hope of him making the distinction between a host limiting a hosting plan resource and a piece of hardware limiting a hosting plan resource

nest time call into your local computer store and get a 500GB disc drive that will hold more that 500GB.

as stated if a disc is 500GB then that is its LIMIT, so all disc has a LIMIT.

nest time call into your local computer store and get a 500GB disc drive that will hold more that 500GB.

as stated if a disc is 500GB then that is its LIMIT, so all disc has a LIMIT.

I'll try one more time. If you ask the computer store if they limit you on how much you are permitted to use, they would tell you they don't -- its unlimited. The limit found in hosting plans are created by the provider not the hardware. When the provider doesn't limit you its unlimited.

You need a computer class so you can learn how Operating Systems and quotas are related. There is more to the world than cpanel.

Last edited:
A disc that has 500GB space is LIMITED to 500GB space no matter what anyone says as you can place anymore that 500GB on that disc, so it has a LIMIT of 500GB

A disc that has 500GB space is LIMITED to 500GB space no matter what anyone says as you can place anymore that 500GB on that disc, so it has a LIMIT of 500GB

You do not understand what it is that the unlimited hosting provider is actually offering.
With your hard drive analogy, the limited hosting provider is essentially splitting that 500 GB drive into separate partitions, each given out to a paying customer. The more partitions you have, the lower amount of space you can provide to each of your customers, as more sites on the same space = less space available per site.

Unlimited hosting removes the predetermined partitions, and instead offers up as much or as little space as each site requires.
Both services are unable to go beyond the 500 GB hard drive, as doing so is physically impossible. With unlimited, it simply implies that you are not restricted to a set amount of space determined by the provider, and can instead use the space freely without worry of going over a set limit, as quite simply, no limit exists. I like to refer to these predetermined quotas as being 'artificial limitations enforced by the provider', rather than physical limitations enforced by the hardware, as both the unlimited and the limited host will still be restricted by the available hardware at hand.

Does that make any sense? I'm not trying to start an argument, just hoping to clear some things up in terms that you may understand.

You do not understand what it is that the unlimited hosting provider is actually offering.
With your hard drive analogy, the limited hosting provider is essentially splitting that 500 GB drive into separate partitions, each given out to a paying customer. The more partitions you have, the lower amount of space you can provide to each of your customers, as more sites on the same space = less space available per site.

Unlimited hosting removes the predetermined partitions, and instead offers up as much or as little space as each site requires.
Both services are unable to go beyond the 500 GB hard drive, as doing so is physically impossible. With unlimited, it simply implies that you are not restricted to a set amount of space determined by the provider, and can instead use the space freely without worry of going over a set limit, as quite simply, no limit exists. I like to refer to these predetermined quotas as being 'artificial limitations enforced by the provider', rather than physical limitations enforced by the hardware, as both the unlimited and the limited host will still be restricted by the available hardware at hand.

Does that make any sense? I'm not trying to start an argument, just hoping to clear some things up in terms that you may understand.

Excellent explanation. But put up your shields and get ready to repeat yourself again, for the next post will be about hosting imaginary 300 GB websites unsuitable for a shared environment and how all those imaginary customers with their imaginary 300 GB websites are being scammed into believing unlimited hosting is supposed to accommodate them :rolleyes2

Last edited:
Excellent explanation. But put up your shields and get ready to repeat yourself again, for the next post will be about hosting 300 GB websites unsuitable for a shared environment and how all those customers with their 300 GB websites are being scammed into believing unlimited hosting is supposed to accommodate them

Most of these are fair questions, especially if you don't quite understand how the unlimited host operates.

Although I honestly cannot answer how a host would handle a 300 GB website, as normally, these hosts enforce CPU and RAM limitations. This applies to both limited and unlimited.
Being as how a website with 300 GB of web documents would normally be very intensive on the CPU and/or RAM, this website should not be hosted on any kind of shared hosting environment. The disk space in this situation isn't the issue, it's the amount of resources that the site itself would require.

Now, if the website were hosting files that had no relation to the actual website, such as backup files or computer programs, this site would likely be suspended, again, by most of the unlimited and limited providers. Website hosts prefer to host web documents, not computer programs or files.
That being said, I would personally be very suspicious of a website on any shared network with more than 50 GB of content, let alone 300. Statistically speaking, most of the websites on the internet today use less than 2 GB of total space. Anything between the 30 and 100 GB range should be put onto a VPS or even a dedicated server, strictly for the extra processing power, which would be reserved exclusively for your website if hosted on a VPS or a dedi.

Most of these are fair questions, especially if you don't quite understand how the unlimited host operates.

Yes, they are and I have answered such questions on a hundred occasions throughout the years. But at the moment we are not answering questions we are battling lies and misinformation designed to make a limited plan more appealing at the expense of the unlimited plan -- instead of host relying on their own merits. They are hoping that if they tell the same lie over and over again it will become truth. Sometimes I can't help but think its intentional.

Excellent explanation. But put up your shields and get ready to repeat yourself again, for the next post will be about hosting imaginary 300 GB websites unsuitable for a shared environment and how all those imaginary customers with their imaginary 300 GB websites are being scammed into believing unlimited hosting is supposed to accommodate them :rolleyes2

Although I honestly cannot answer how a host would handle a 300 GB website, as normally, these hosts enforce CPU and RAM limitations. This applies to both limited and unlimited.
Being as how a website with 300 GB of web documents would normally be very intensive on the CPU and/or RAM, this website should not be hosted on any kind of shared hosting environment. The disk space in this situation isn't the issue, it's the amount of resources that the site itself would require. .

And that is the truthful answer that we would both give. But although the issue is resolved here, I am just predicting someone will bring it up as if it was never mentioned, just like the 500 GB disk example we see above. I use the word "imaginary" because with 99.95% of sites suitable for shared hosting environment under 5 GB the example is a ridiculous one to use.

Last edited:
I kindly direct you to page 4 of this thread, where an almost identical conversation / comparison has already taken place.

You also explained it to him on Page 2:

easyhostmedia, an unlimited hosting provider does not provide an infinite amount of disk or web space, nor does it offer a truly infinite hosting experience.
Unlimited is a type of hosting account that does not enforce predetermined disk or bandwidth quotas.
You seem to be under the impression that unlimited equals infinite, which it simply does not.

I would never go with unlimited hosting. I wold go with a reputable provider that may offer something such as 10GB disk space for more than unlimited.

However, I will do my research and make sure it is premium.

I would never go with unlimited hosting. I wold go with a reputable provider that may offer something such as 10GB disk space for more than unlimited.

That's not logical (except for the reputable part). If you look at the servers of unlimited hosts you will see that virtually all of the sites are under 10GB. In other words, that same unlimited host could have offered a 10GB plan instead and the server would have the exact same configuration and thus, same performance.

If the server has 500 sites that are less than 10 GB, it doesn't matter how they got there -- server will perform the same no matter if those sites were sold under an unlimited plan or a limited plan. But your comment suggests that by merely changing the wording of the hosting plan and shopping cart item, server performance changes. Of course, that's silly

Last edited:
As question for Collabora is particular as you seem to be the person championing "unlimited" hosting in this thread the most:

How large are the partitions you set up for hosting accounts? In other words, If I buy one of your hosting packages at $1.95 a month, I'd like to know how much I will be able to upload before I fill it up and get you have to upgrade it with more drives/larger partitions for me to also fill.

Steve

there is no hope of him making the distinction between a host limiting a hosting plan resource and a piece of hardware limiting a hosting plan resource

What about the third option - where a host advertises "unlimited" hosting, preaches in forums that they don't set any limits (with the exception of hardware limits) - indeed even belittling anyone that may question their motives and them tuck away in an AUP that the service is indeed "artificially" limited by them:

http://www.collabora365.com/aup.php

Unlimited Hosting Space and Bandwidth

All our hosting accounts do come with unlimited hosting space and bandwidth. But we start each account with a set limit but as you needs grow, simply contact us to request additional resources and we will increase it to whatever you need.
So you *do* set "artificial" quota's then (something you have repeatedly deplored in this thread), although no mention to what it actually is...

Steve

As question for Collabora is particular as you seem to be the person championing "unlimited" hosting in this thread the most:

How large are the partitions you set up for hosting accounts? In other words, If I buy one of your hosting packages at $1.95 a month, I'd like to know how much I will be able to upload before I fill it up and get you have to upgrade it with more drives/larger partitions for me to also fill.

Steve

Normally, unlimited hosting does not come with any kind of predetermined quotas, or in this case, a partition.
You could, in theory, upload as much data as you'd require, as long as it will fit within the limitation set forth by the hard drive itself.

Although I cannot answer for Collabora, as his services are likely operated in a different way than my own. The idea is generally the same.

I am actually interested to know how Collabora operates their/his unlimited network, especially at such a low monthly rate. The $1.95 mentioned is assuming you sign up for one year of pre-paid hosting, and the monthly price is rather the equivalent of what you would be paying, if it were a monthly subscription. Still, even at the $2.95 rate, it is fairly inexpensive for the assumed services provided. Will have to wait for Collabora to elaborate before coming to any kind of false conclusions.

Normally, unlimited hosting does not come with any kind of predetermined quotas, or in this case, a partition.
I would hope that the drive is either a single partition of a separate set of raided drives, or at least partitioned from the OS partition - OS's (especially Windows) *really* don't like to run out of disk space :shocked: :shaky: :D

Steve

What about the third option - where a host advertises "unlimited" hosting, preaches in forums that they don't set any limits (with the exception of hardware limits) - indeed even belittling anyone that may question their motives and them tuck away in an AUP that the service is indeed "artificially" limited by them:

http://www.collabora365.com/aup.php

So you *do* set "artificial" quota's then (something you have repeatedly deplored in this thread), although no mention to what it actually is...

Steve

As question for Collabora is particular as you seem to be the person championing "unlimited" hosting in this thread

Where have I preached anything. Don't confuse correcting misinformation with "preaching" or "championing." No one ever started one of these conversations with "limited doesn't exist" or "limited is a scam."

Nor have I posted deploring something. When you stop putting words in my mouth we can start having an intelligent discussion

Last edited:
Collabora, what are the specifications that you use with your shared hosting servers? Total hard drive capacity, CPU and RAM specs?
Can't seem to find that information on your website.

Also, what's the port speed? Is it hosted on a 100 Mbps or a 1 Gbps uplink?

Unlimited is limited by the hardware, and without the hardware specifications properly displayed on the site, it is a tad misleading for those interested to learn of the true hardware limitations.

Where have I preached anything. Don't confuse correcting misinformation with "preaching" or "championing." No one ever started one of these conversations with "limited doesn't exist" or "limited is a scam."

Nor have I posted deploring something. When you stop putting words in my mouth we can start having an intelligent discussion

Sadly, I must agree with Posilan on this one. You have been very pro-unlimited, and have been acting rather hostile towards those asking questions.

Last edited:
Sadly, I must agree with Posilan on this one. You have been very pro-unlimited, and have been acting rather hostile towards those asking questions.

I agree with the hostile part. He didn't even answer my question about his hosting. The chances of my hosting with him are 0. I do not like hostgator and I would rather host with hostgator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back