Your View On 'Unlimited' Hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I ask, if its your contention that its impossible to offer unlimited hosting on a 500GB hard drive that has only 500 GB of space, what justifies you offering unlimited hosting on 1 GB of space. Please enlighten me.....I am willing to learn.

I stated Unlimited space plans on a 500GB drive as the drive has a 500GB space limit.

I stated Unlimited space plans on a 500GB drive as the drive has a 500GB space limit.

You are mistaking the meaning of the term.

Unlimited means you are able to use a hosting account with no predetermined limitation, and may use up to whatever the hardware is able to provide.

If you're looking for a service capable of going beyond the drive's capabilities, it would be called 'infinite' rather than 'unlimited'. Infinite hosting just isn't possible, and with our current technology and hosting standards, will never be possible. (wouldn't it be cool if you could get an infinite hosting plan, though?)

You are able to create an unlimited number of databases or other similar features within the total 1 GB space provided.
If you wanted, your entire website could consist of one giant 1 GB database, using up your entire web space allotment.

The concept is similar with the unlimited host, but I think his main reasoning is, quite simply, you are aware that you can create as many databases within the specified space provided. It's the simple fact that the space is advertised upfront that makes it 'okay' to state.

I have been hosting on and off since 2002. I know exactly how plans work. When I first included things like unlimited email at the time, that was considered a little fishy. Now its SOP.

I am looking for an explanation that does not contradict his stated position on unlimited hosting, knowing full well he cannot provide one. How does he go from having one database in one plan to unlimited databases in another without doing what you and I do about quotas?

Without the use of quotas, how can a host claim that unlimited hosting does not exist because there is no such thing as unlimited disk space, and at the same time offer a package of hosting resources that require unlimited disk space without being self-contradictory?

How is putting unlimited hosting resources that require unlimited space on a 1 Gb disk allocation more virtuous than simply putting it on available space? Certainly it is most likely the case that "available space" will be larger than 1 GB. So what is the critic offering that is so superior?

This is not about one particular host, its about a hosting plan model. I have nothing against such plans. What I don't appreciate is the hypocrisy and moral superiority displayed by some of the limited hosts when they pontificate on unlimited hosting while practicing the very thing they claim to despise. How many times does one have to be accused of lying and scamming before its ok to be "rude" to his accusers?

Last edited:
I have been offering hosting since 1999 and what i offer and have offered in the past has always worked, when i upgrade servers i always look at our plans

My question:

So I ask, if its your contention that its impossible to offer unlimited hosting on a 500GB hard drive that has only 500 GB of space, what justifies you offering unlimited hosting on 1 GB of space. Please enlighten me.....I am willing to learn.

Your answer:

But you are just going in a circle. You too have an "unlimited space plan" by offering unlimited sites, unlimited databases, and unlimited email. That's because that amount of hosting resources requires an unlimited amount of space. But you are offering only a limited 1 GB of space. So please teach me how I can offer unlimited hosting on a 500 GB hard drive with 1 GB of space, because you are saying I can't do it with a 500 GB hard drive with 500 GB of space.

Last edited:
A little late to this thread, and as usual the conversation is always interesting in these debates :)

Since I have never bothered much with the Shared hosting world, or markets that really utilized "Unlimited" a lot, I never used it much. My take on the "Unlimited" marketing in the Shared hosting industry is that I think hosts can by all means utilize that verbiage, but fully disclose what "Unlimited" really means. I've seen way to many complaints on that verbiage and it could have easily been avoided by just disclosing the conditions of "Unlimited".

Now...in the Dedicated Server world I will admit we personally use "100Mbit Unmetered Bandwidth" on some of our servers (we utilize this form of bandwidth at one of our datacenters). I will even throw this marketing into the arguement even though I use it. Even though it's Unmetered, there's obviously conditions and we make sure to let customers know, especially during the checkout if they're ordering one of them.

In the end, my opinion is that it's fine using it as long as the hosts disclose what Unlimited really means. I personally don't really think it's that effective anymore though anyways. A very large majority uses "Unlimited" now, so I (personally) feel it has lost some of its marketing power.

My two cents....won't be arguing with anyone's points :)

Last edited:
I will admit I view the word unmetered different then unlimited. I view unmetered how the pro unlimited people in this thread are explaining unlimited as being. However I do not view unlimited that way. Un limited is not limits, un metered is No set quota. I have however gotten to the point where when I see unlimited I translate it to what it should be which is unmetered.

Bunnykins observation is on the mark. In the context of this thread, unmetered is what limited web hosts use when describing hosting resource quota when they don't want the resource known as unlimited, but at the same time be able to offer unlimited hosting resource. Here is why I say that:

The term came into popular acceptance in describing bandwidth allocation in Dedicated server plans. Put into its simplest terms, under the standard bw plans customer would select a port speed and transfer limit. Under an unmetered plan customer would choose the port speed but data transfer is not measured. "Unmetered" refers to the "unmeasured."

So how does "unmetered" translate when it is applied to the hosting resources that are typically found in a shared hosting plan?

What I have seen among shared web hosts that use the term "unmetered" is they have simply replaced the word unlimited with with the word "unmetered." For example, a host offering unlimited email will be offering the same exact thing in the same exact way when they called it "unmetered" email. The email server, how the email is provisioned, etc. is not changed. The only change is the wording in the hosting plan. In other words Unmetered Email is the same thing as Unlimited Email.

Note: I am not criticizing it, just explaining it.

Last edited:
My question:

Your answer:

But you are just going in a circle. You too have an "unlimited space plan" by offering unlimited sites, unlimited databases, and unlimited email. That's because that amount of hosting resources requires an unlimited amount of space. But you are offering only a limited 1 GB of space. So please teach me how I can offer unlimited hosting on a 500 GB hard drive with 1 GB of space, because you are saying I can't do it with a 500 GB hard drive with 500 GB of space.

Well, I am honoured that you have listened to my instructions and pontifications regarding unlimited hosting resources and changed your own quasi-unlimited plans and brought them in line with your own posts. However, "you choose" does have hints of "unlimited," but I always did think that was a good catchy wording. Its exactly what I offer, but in a single plan -- I call it something else, of course

Last edited:
changing the "you choose" messes up the table for some reason, but the words "you choose" is exactly waht they do as its a configuration setup the same as with dedicated servers.

Unlimited usually means that there is no exact limitation of the resources, which is exactly for shared hosting service. This is normal, because there is no exact limitation on shared server environment. You can use 1 GB disk space for example and you can use 10GB disk space for example.

Unlimited usually means that there is no exact limitation of the resources, which is exactly for shared hosting service. This is normal, because there is no exact limitation on shared server environment. You can use 1 GB disk space for example and you can use 10GB disk space for example.

This is quite true :agree:

The limits spoken of are really an artificial creation invented by the provider. The provider sets the quotas and these are the limits. No quota? No limit. No Limit? Unlimited

Even when a limit is specified by the provider in the hosting plan, there are other limits found in the TOS preventing customer from using the entire specified limit. Thus your 200 MB wordpress site on a 3 GB plan may be suspended if a bad plugin chews up CPU.

As you read through some threads, when this happens on an unlimited host the anti-unlimited crowd blames the unlimited plan, for there is no such thing as being "truly unlimited." When it happens on the limited 3 GB plan, the host is called "responsible" for protecting the integrity of the server. In reality the unlimited host suspends the site for the same exactly the same reason

But if we use the same logic used by the anti-unlimited crowd we must conclude that there is no such thing as "truly 3 GB!" We don't hear that of course because the anti-unlimited crowd is made up of the hosts offering the 3GB plan (and other limited plans)

Thus on the one hand we have hosts that forgo the artificial quota limits found in hosting plan and use other limits not specified in hosting plan. On the other we have the hosts that specify artificial limits in the hosting plan but also have those other limits not specified in hosting plan that can prevent you from using the specified limits

Its as you say, no matter what, the limits are really not known until the site is deployed. One may now ask: Then what is the purpose of the artificial limits? The answer is: $$$

Last edited:
I do believe in unlimited space or bandwidth I think that's just a to get people to the sites. Unlimited emails, databases and what not are also not unlimited. You are limited to the space you have.

. Unlimited emails, databases and what not are also not unlimited. You are limited to the space you have.

Of course, just as unlimited web space is limited to the space you have

Tell me, given disk aggregation, if I offer you unlimited sites, unlimited email and unlimited databases on 3 GB disk space (even though they require unlimited disk space), and your website is 3 GB, how much unlimited email do you get?

On the flipside, if your employees use 3 GB of space for email before building a site, how much space do you have for unlimited sites?

Last edited:
Nothing is really unlimited, everything has a limit at some point.

Its a matter of context. In a hosting plan "Unlimited" refers to the artificial limits imposed by the provider on the hosting resource. When the provider refrains from imposing those limits, the hosting resource is unlimited. There will always be physical limits, but the term "unlimited" is not referring to the physical hardware, just the artificial (and sometimes arbitrary) limits traditionally imposed by the provider. These limits are known as "quotas" in the server admin universe. Unlimited is the absence of a quota

Even when a limit is specified by the provider in the hosting plan, there are other limits found in the TOS preventing customer from using the entire specified limit. Thus your 200 MB wordpress site on a 3 GB plan may be suspended if a bad plugin chews up CPU.

If we use your logic we must conclude there is no such thing as "3 GB!"

Last edited:
I guess you can always read the small print, alot of hosts etc have catch ons in the small print, always worth to give them all a read first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back