Your View On 'Unlimited' Hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might agree with that evaluation Art if Tyler was willing to admit he is being dishonest.
His site clearly states he offers unlimited resources.

Then, by your definition, the largest portion of the website hosting industry is being operated by crooks and lying thieves, falsely providing a service that doesn't even exist.

[...]

Tell me, in your professional opinion, how these hosting providers are legally allowed to offer 'unlimited' hosting services? Seriously, I'm genuinely quite interested.

In my professional non-expert opinion :D , I think that just because it is working for companies that offer unlimited resources (due to the fact obviously not all customers are using even a tiny bit of those resources), doesn't mean that it is not a false promise.

I can understand cell phone companies offering unlimited minutes, because they know how many minutes are there in a month, but with hosting, if you don't put a limit to disk space, for example, the cap might grow and grow and grow forever. Then what?

I might agree with that evaluation Art if Tyler was willing to admit he is being dishonest.

This is how we handle 'unlimited' hosting.

"The only limitations we have are enforced by the dedicated servers themselves, and the hardware components that they use. Essentially, you are unable to use more than our physical machines are capable of offering."
(taken from the above linked kb article)

Then, by your definition, the largest portion of the website hosting industry is being operated by crooks and lying thieves, falsely providing a service that doesn't even exist.

Something truly seems wrong with your statement. Would you not think that these large, highly profitable hosting providers would be taken down, or forced to change their policies? False advertising isn't exactly legal. And by your definition of the term, these large and very successful providers are in fact falsely advertising their services.

Tell me, in your professional opinion, how these hosting providers are legally allowed to offer 'unlimited' hosting services? Seriously, I'm genuinely quite interested.

Not sure what your problem is with honesty but yes, I do think that web hosts should be held to a FAR higher standard than they are today.
You seem to equate profitability with honesty. You are confused.

I'd like to see a discussion of unlimited as it's applied cross industry, for example to Sprint's unlimited bandwidth offering. I've been with them for 16 years and just upgraded my wife's phone with them. For the record, I have accounts with two different web hosting providers that offer unlimited accounts, among others.

Here is how we do it: http://www.collabora365.com/knowledgebase/6/Unlimited-Hosting-FAQ.html

And next to the order button we have: "Please Note, while it is rare, we may need to put constraints on accounts that are adversely affecting other customers or otherwise utilizing or abusing resources beyond what would be expected of a personal or small business website."

But apparently, I am known to the Hosting Discussion Community Advisors as a thief and a liar, so one cannot believe anything I post

Last edited:

But so do hundreds, maybe thousands, of other operators. Doesn't make it right by any means, and that works only because most clients don't have "unlimited" demands. Now, if someone suddenly gets 10000 clients who keep adding 10000000000000000000 GB of passive data to their servers every month, I want to see how unlimited providers handle that kind of growth.

There is a reason why even cloud networks establish caps. I presume exactly for the same reason - because extra resources cost extra money. So they make clients pay for precisely what they use.

I'd like to see honesty in this industry Steve.
I really do not see why placing hard limits on services is such a big deal.
Just because big cell phone companies offer "unlimited" service does not make it true and it does not make it honest for hosts to offer it.
If your cell service has never gone down even for a short time then you are certainly in the minority. Even if that is the case the promise of unlimited is a lie until Websters decides to change the definition.

But so do hundreds, maybe thousands, of other operators. Doesn't make it right by any means, and that works only because most clients don't have "unlimited" demands. Now, if someone suddenly gets 10000 clients who keep adding 10000000000000000000 GB of passive data to their servers every month, I want to see how unlimited providers handle that kind of growth.

There is a reason why even cloud networks establish caps. I presume exactly for the same reason - because extra resources cost extra money. So they make clients pay for precisely what they use.

I'll say again. Just because thousands of other operators say the same thing doesn't make it any less of a lie.

Here is how we do it: http://www.collabora365.com/knowledgebase/6/Unlimited-Hosting-FAQ.html

And next to the order button we have: "Please Note, while it is rare, we may need to put constraints on accounts that are adversely affecting other customers or otherwise utilizing or abusing resources beyond what would be expected of a personal or small business website."

But apparently, I am a known to the Community Advisors as a liar. They are the experts

Yes. You are.
You make a claim that is false.
You don't comprehend the definition of unlimited so perhaps you are not responsible for the lie but an honest broker would learn their product before offering something that is not possible.

First, not all providers are this specific when it comes to defining limitations, so good job there.

A follow-up question then:

Therefore, 32 GB of RAM is the maximum that we can physically allocate to any given website.

In reference to 72TB disk space and 32GB of RAM, does it mean that if I were to sign for a $4.95 plan with a single website, I could use all those resources?
That also, to me, is a clear named limit. So why not go with that to begin with?

Blue, if my cell phone service has gone down in the last sixteen years, I've not been aware of it. Of course, I don't monitor it like I do my websites. :)

There's nothing wrong with wanting honesty in any industry, but I make it a point to explain unlimited web hosting to all of my marketing clients, including resource limitations and it's never come back to bite me.

In reference to 72TB disk space and 32GB of RAM, does it mean that if I were to sign for a $4.95 plan with a single website, I could use all those resources?

Yes, a single web hosting account would have complete access to 100% of the dedicated server resources, including 72TB disk space and 32GB of RAM.

That is the maximum storage and RAM that any single website will ever have access to. There are no additional charges or fees, as quite simply, websites with these sorts of operating requirements are extremely rare, and giving out one server to one client wouldn't be much of a hassle.

Now, that isn't to say that we'll simply give out a server to everyone that asks. If your website requires more than a single server is capable of providing, or if it is nearly 'maxing out' the server that it is currently on, the website will be transferred over to a more capable server free of charge.
The first migration will put you onto a more powerful server, but a server that is also being shared with other clients. (possibly five or ten clients, depending on the average resource usage per site)
The second migration only occurs if your website continues to use up a high percentage of the available resources. The second migration will put your website onto its' own dedicated server, one that isn't shared with anyone else, and one that has enough power and space to properly handle your website, as well as your estimated future growth.

You must still abide by the terms of service, specifically the 'Disk Space Abuse' section, which states
Although DeRoyalServers does not limit the amount of disk space available for your use, you are prohibited to use your disk space or website hosting account for anything other than to host website data. You cannot use your web space as an online backup account. DeRoyalServers will be the sole arbiter as to what constitutes a violation of this provision.
Basically, you can only host web documents essential to the operation and management of your website.

Yes, a single web hosting account would have complete access to 100% of the dedicated server resources, including 72TB disk space and 32GB of RAM.

This is the red herring that is constantly put out by the anti-unlimited crowd. They invent a hypothetical scenario that never exists, or is one customer in a million, and when that presents a hypothetical problem the unlimited host is cursed once more. Nevermind that none of these scenarios have ever materialized.

They don't pause and think: Is it worth giving a dedicated server out for $4.95/month for every one million "normal" customers? Is it worth spending a couple grand in additional storage? You betcha! Give me one million normal shared hosting customers and I'll give you TWO dedicated server for that! Hec, I might even give you an unlimited cell phone plan

But that requires one to pause and think......

Last edited:
Tyler, that is some serious migration processes and a commitment to the plan. I presume a website like download.com that occupies TBs of data and burns through even more bandwidth would work since all files are essential to the operation. How about archive.org or search engines that continuously crawl, collect and store data? You must understand where I am going with this. Normally, when I ask other providers about the same, all of them would tell me websites like the ones I mentioned are not suited for a shared environment, so obviously they'd be unable to be fit for their plans. In majority of the cases, a website like this will get suspended, not upgraded free of charge and that's the fact. Quite honestly, you are the first provider who would honor and provide all those resources for a low monthly fee. That's some attention you probably wouldn't want to get from owners of mega awesome & heavy websites. They'll be signing up by the hundreds! :)

This is the red herring that is constantly put out by the anti-unlimited crowd. They invent a hypothetical scenario that never exists, or is one customer in a million, and when that presents a hypothetical problem the unlimited host is cursed once more. Nevermind that none of these scenarios have ever materialized.

They don't pause and think: Is it worth giving a dedicated server out for $4.95/month for every one million "normal" customers? Is it worth spending a couple grand in additional storage? You betcha! Give me one million normal shared hosting customers and I'll give you TWO dedicated server for that! Hec, I might even give you an unlimited cell phone plan

But that requires one to pause and think......

Instead of acknowledging the fact that unlimited resources do not exist, you are providing an excuse for why it works. We are talking about two mutually exclusive things.

Instead of acknowledging the fact that unlimited resources do not exist....

Now you've gone from using red herrings to erecting straw men. No one claims to offer unlimited resources, except the hosts that are invented in the minds of the anti-unlimited crowd.

The liars are not the unlimited hosts. Blue accused me of being a liar and making false claims. I asked him to quote one false claim that I have made. I was met by silence. Thus he lied. I now ask you for documentation of promises of unlimited resources not delivered. I again expect silence. The real lies are coming from only from one side of the debate in this thread

The real marketing scam is not unlimited hosting, its the limited hosts falsely ascribing characteristics of unlimited hosts that do not exist or claims that are never made. That is the BIG LIE. That's the real marketing scam. And too many here are only too happy to repeat the lies. Its called FUD marketing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back