Your View On 'Unlimited' Hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. The term unlimited has not evolved. It still has the exact meaning it always had.
Check any dictionary.
If unmetered is what you provide then the honest thing to do would be to advertise unmetered.

No. The term unlimited has not evolved. It still has the exact meaning it always had.
Check any dictionary.
If unmetered is what you provide then the honest thing to do would be to advertise unmetered.

The definition of 'unlimited' is evolving, and has been for quite some time.
The evolution of the English language doesn't require instant acceptance.
By changing the definition of a certain word or phrase, and then getting a large group of people to accept this new definition instead of or in addition to the old, you are effectively contributing to the evolution and advancement of the English language.

So yes, the unlimited term has in fact evolved beyond its' original intended definition, and will continue to evolve. Just look at my above reference to the word 'gay', and how very different the original and modern definitions are.

No. The definition has not evolved. PERIOD.
Like I said. Check any dictionary.
Scam marketing does not indicate a shift in word definition.
Your "gay" analogy" is absurd and you should be embarrassed for even using it.

No. The definition has not evolved. PERIOD.
Like I said. Check any dictionary.
Scam marketing does not indicate a shift in word definition.
Your "gay" analogy" is absurd and you should be embarrassed for even using it.

Do you not grasp the concept of how language evolves?
Here's an informative article.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/3309950/Scientists-chart-how-words-are-changing.html
Here's another.
http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/langevol.html

The second article is quite an interesting read.

What I grasp is that the word has a meaning and that meaning has not changed.
Just because a bunch of con artists want it to change doesn't make it so.
Do you grasp the concept of ethics?

What I grasp is that the word has a meaning and that meaning has not changed.
Just because a bunch of con artists want it to change doesn't make it so.
Do you grasp the concept of ethics?

I'm a con artist operating an unethical service. How could I ever understand the concept of ethics?

Do you understand the concept of bigotry?

Wow.
I guess this conversation is over.
Unbelievable.
It's hard to quantify how much you've embarrassed yourself with that statement.

Wow.
I guess this conversation is over.
Unbelievable.

Consider that my 'payback' of sorts for saying I have a mental illness.
I didn't mean anything by it, but you are right. This conversation isn't going anywhere at all, and it's just an endless rant between two sides of the industry that share very different opinions.

Again, sorry for the bigoted remark.

edit:

Then you edit your post with a personal insult against myself.

Artashes, can you please lock this thread, once and for all? There's no reason to keep this going. No one's providing any valuable input anymore.

Blue & Hampshire Hosting is running the kiddie-host unmetered scam. He offers unlimited sites, unlimited databases and unlimited email, (which requires unlimited disk space and unlimited bandwidth) but calls it unmetered instead. He believes this gives him some sort of moral authority to call unlimited a lie while offering the same thing

"Unmetered" (in a shared hosting context) is the biggest scam. Its meant to fool the public, who has already been hoodwinked by the lying critics of unlimited hosting, into believing that its something different

In the context of this thread, unmetered is what limited web hosts use when describing hosting resource quota when they don't want the resource to be known as "unlimited," but at the same time be able to offer unlimited hosting resource. Its an attempt at self-inoculation from the anti-unlimited critics. Here is why I say that:

The term came into popular acceptance in describing bandwidth allocation in Dedicated server plans. Put into its simplest terms, under the standard bw plans customer would select a port speed and transfer limit. Under an unmetered plan customer would choose the port speed but data transfer is not measured. "Unmetered" refers to the "unmeasured."

That use is consistent with the definition of unmetered

So how does the way bandwidth is measured/charged translate when it is applied to the hosting resources that are typically found in a shared hosting plan?

What I have seen among shared web hosts that use the term "unmetered" is they have simply replaced the word unlimited with with the word "unmetered." For example, a host offering unlimited email will be offering the same exact thing in the same exact way when they called it "unmetered" email. The email server, how the email is provisioned, etc. is not changed. The only change is the wording in the hosting plan. In other words Unmetered Email is the same thing as Unlimited Email.

The sneaky hypocrisy of hosts like Blue and Hampshire hosting is they claim to offer unlimited resources -- oops, I meant unmetered resources -- on a tiny bit of a hard drive, while he calls other hosts liars when its offered on the entire hard drive.

Last edited:
I think that most customers understand that unlimited is just marketing.
In case that if you use too much resources you will need to go for a bigger package.
In time when everyone is offering unlimited it is probably hard for a web host not to have also unlimited offer.

I think that most customers understand that unlimited is just marketing.
In case that if you use too much resources you will need to go for a bigger package.
In time when everyone is offering unlimited it is probably hard for a web host not to have also unlimited offer.

Strictly speaking, all hosting plans are marketing devices to get customers. But consider this situation:

Your host has a 2 GB, 5 GB and 10 GB plan. You sign up for a 2 GB hosting plan. Now let's suppose your site is successful and grows to 2.1 GB. What happens? Your limited host will either

(1) suspend your site when you hit the limit,
(2) charge you a premium for going over the limit
(3) ask you to pay for the 5 GB plan, with a new bigger limit
(4) all the above

As an "unlimited host" my philosophy is you should not have to be faced with those choices. Why be penalized for success?

Let's see what happens with the unlimited host. Nothing! Your site goes from 2.0 GB to 2.1 GB without penalty, threats of suspension, or additional charges. That is what unlimited hosting is all about.

Check the TOS of your current host for choices (1) - (4). A couple of other noteworthy observations here

(A) You are being forced to pay for the difference between the 2 GB plan and the 5 GB plan to accommodate only 0.1 GB of space
(B) the limits found in limited hosts as mentioned above are not hardware limits, they are artificial limits created in the mind of the provider to determine how much to charge you. It is these limits that are removed by the unlimited host. Quite simple, really.

As you can see above I and others are called all sorts of names for this type of service. That is what is known as FUD Marketing.

Thank you for listening. If you have any technical (or philosophical) questions about unlimited hosting feel free to ask me, the unlimited host. I also have over 10 years of Windows server administration experience (without a control panel) in all sorts of environments and feel I am uniquely qualified to answer you.

Last edited:
So now what happens with the unlimited host? Nothing! Your site goes from 2.0 GB to 2.1 GB without penalty, threats of suspension, or additional charges. That is what unlimited hosting is all about.

what you explained is Unmetered as you are not keeping a metered check on plan usage.

Most hosts i know have an overage structure that charges an overage per MB, so you only pay for what you go over.
i.e. we charge an overage fee of £0.0020 per MB, which is not a high price

Strictly speaking, all hosting plans are marketing devices to get customers. But consider this situation:

Your host has a 2 GB, 5 GB and 10 GB plan. You sign up for a 2 GB hosting plan. Now let's suppose your site is successful and grows to 2.1 GB. What happens? Your limited host will either

(1) suspend your site when you hit the limit,
(2) charge you a premium for going over the limit
(3) ask you to pay for the 5 GB plan, with a new bigger limit
(4) all the above

As an "unlimited host" my philosophy is you should not have to be faced with those choices. Why be penalized for success?

Let's see what happens with the unlimited host. Nothing! Your site goes from 2.0 GB to 2.1 GB without penalty, threats of suspension, or additional charges. That is what unlimited hosting is all about.

Check the TOS of your current host for choices (1) - (4). A couple of other noteworthy observations here

(A) You are being forced to pay for the difference between the 2 GB plan and the 5 GB plan to accommodate only 0.1 GB of space
(B) the limits found in limited hosts as mentioned above are not hardware limits, they are artificial limits created in the mind of the provider to determine how much to charge you. It is these limits that are removed by the unlimited host. Quite simple, really.

As you can see above I and others are called all sorts of names for this type of service. That is what is known as FUD Marketing.

Thank you for listening. If you have any technical (or philosophical) questions about unlimited hosting feel free to ask me, the unlimited host. I also have over 10 years of Windows server administration experience (without a control panel) in all sorts of environments and feel I am uniquely qualified to answer you.

Most hosts i know have an overage structure that charges an overage per MB, so you only pay for what you go over.
i.e. we charge an overage fee of £0.0020 per MB, which is not a high price

Thank you for your honesty

It's not a scam really to offer unlimited. But I prefer to keep it to where my clients know exactly what they are getting. They know the limits when they sign up.

And also by setting limits it gives the client reason to upgrade to a higher plan when they need/want more disk space/bandwidth.

I had a client that had signed up for our $4.00/per month plan.

He after a few months decided to upgrade to our $7.50/month plan as he needed more disk space.

If we were offering unlimited than the client wouldn't have upgraded and paid more money.

I know that unlimited is not in our future. Maybe for other hosts but not us.

Chad

I had a client that had signed up for our $4.00/per month plan.

He after a few months decided to upgrade to our $7.50/month plan as he needed more disk space.

If we were offering unlimited than the client wouldn't have upgraded and paid more money.

You, my friend, are one of the most truthful fellows on here.
And for that, I tip my hat in your honor. :)

We offered unlimited bandwidth and unlimited disk space for awhile, but based on community pressure and research into forums such as this, we changed from unlimited to a finite amount of GB for both. The result? No dropoff of customer influx or business.

Probably best to stay away from hosts that offer unlimited plans such as these, as they are probably not the types of quality companies that can handle a large amount of customers, but rather ones that rely on gimmicks.

Probably best to stay away from hosts that offer unlimited plans such as these, as they are probably not the types of quality companies that can handle a large amount of customers, but rather ones that rely on gimmicks.

You don't have to resort to gimmicks to offer unlimited hosting, if you have the technical know-how.

But you don't seem to be bothered by the use of gimmicks. As a matter of fact it wasn't a guilty conscience for using gimmicks that changed the way you did business; the only reason you changed was pressure from hosting forums. To wit:

We offered unlimited bandwidth and unlimited disk space for awhile, but based on community pressure and research into forums such as this, we changed from unlimited to a finite amount of GB for both.

Offering gimmicks didn't seem to bother you then. Maybe you still like a good gimmick

As a matter of fact you still offer unlimited sites, unlimited email and unlimited databases (which still require unlimited space) all for 99 cents. I see you haven't lost your touch for a good gimmick! You replaced one gimmick with another one while trying to convince us the new gimmick represents an increase in honesty and hosting integrity. That in itself is a gimmick. I think you topped yourself. Congrats!

(Note: I have nothing against your hosting plans -- just your post in relation to the plans)

Last edited:
Unlimited hosting plans offered on non-cloud machines, still sounds suspicious and can't be considered as a 100% reliable due to many server-side issues as the statistics show, but cloud technology gives anyone the ability to expand their needs of getting vast amounts of space/traffic for the appropriate calculated fee.

I would say that unlimited hosting can be used if you truly understand what it means. Anyhow whenever you choose hosting you should go trough checklist of questions to try to compare different hosting companies. And I don't mean just looking on some review sites.

You should develop list of questions which you find important to choose and compare your host.

List for web hosting comparison should look something like this.

You can also add additional questions mainly you want to project how fast your website will grow.

In that way you will know when "unlimited" offer will not be sufficient and you will have to move to something like VPS.

Problem is that a lot of people don't even know a single thing how to compare hosts, other than price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back