Paypal fees: Too high, or not that bad?

I think Paypal fees is reasonable. Their fraud system is pretty good; You can get lower fees from other merchant but you also need to calculate your loss on chargeback.

Paypal is great if you are starting out, there's not much to invest there, BUT, the fees are higher. Our merchants rates are much much lower.

I feel That paypal is reasonable for what it is, think about how many people use paypal as apposed to another type of merchant.

Honestly I don’t think I would use PayPal if I had a choice but if you want to accept payments online there really isn’t a lot choice out there.

I know there are other choices but PayPal is just to popular with buyers. IMO

I find the fees calculation a bit annoying. I mean if you receive like $1 per transaction, you ought to loose $0.31 on it which is like 31%

One must not forget it's our hard earned money too. For bigger transactions I don't mind the fees they are taking..maybe it seems easier to eyes. But on small transactions, it is huge in my opinion.

Transaction fees are high everywhere IMH. As a starting company I'm seeing a lot of these prices for the first time and to be honest I had not expected bank fee's to be so high (except Paypal, which I did check).

I pay like 14 cents per incoming transaction to my business account. So on an average client transaction I would lose:

Paypal - €0,35
Bank - €0,14

or

iDeal - €0,45 (!!)
Bank - €0,14

For small 1 euro transaction it takes over 55% of your income right there, which is huge. That's why you need to come up with a way to reduce the amount of transactions. Like only having clients pay for 12 months instead of month per month for 1 dollar packages.

I personally think they are truly awesome. Whenever we have a situation, we always just give them a shout and they have a been great to us.

Aslong as you can show them you have a strong clientele and inform them the situation, they will work with you.
Each transaction they do take 2%, but thats just them running as a business. Considering I never wait on hold for more than 2 minutes when calling them, I have no complaints.

It's in the millions, I am almost breaking 1K in fees in just 4 or 5 months.

Your lucky then. :thumbup:

IMO, the fee's are not too bad, and now new companies / sites are taking paypal, it will get all over and be used by everything and everyone.

I am paying next to £500 in fee's a monthly currently, could be more, the fee's are nothing until you start taking thousands a month, then it is seen as a big fee every month, but it is pretty good for what it does.

I rarely use support but it does suck, and they are bad with disputes.

But for dealing in big money, it is a hefty fee. :smash:

Paypal offer reliable and fast service. And once you get into their VIP section with your own manager, your fees can be lowered even more.

The fees can sometimes be a bit annoying if I know the fees are going to be excessive then I get the sender to cover 1/2 the fees. To check the fees you may want to use ppcalc.com, it's pretty simple to use and very useful. However, you get used to the fees and begin to just accept them. Of course I would prefer they were less, and the more income you have coming though paypal, the lower they are however, until you get to that stage PayPal could do something to lower them.

PayPal has to have some sort of a profit in mind for the services that they offer. If it wasent for PayPal offering the services that they do, like many said above, small businesses would not be able to do any online sales unless having quite a budget.

The PayPal fees are irritating, but reasonable.

Really there fees are low. Compare it to having a mercant account that you pay for plus each trasaction has a fee and your looking at a lot of money. paypal is really fairly cheap if you don't do high volume business.

I also think that PayPal hasn't got big fees. In coparison with some other big payment gateways, I would say it is somewhere in the middle. Also, it is probably the most common gateway on the web, supports many countries and does not generate problems too often.

I also think that PayPal hasn't got big fees. In coparison with some other big payment gateways, I would say it is somewhere in the middle. Also, it is probably the most common gateway on the web, supports many countries and does not generate problems too often.

I would question the fact that they don't generate problems too often.

But they allow alot of small businesses to operate online without setup/or monthly fees that other merchants will charge.

Paypal fees is really fair. It really costs a lot when we consider other payment gateways. Ultimately, they can't provide free service and need to survive with profits to continue.

So, what is everyones opinion about Paypal and the various fees associated with it?

Obviously many of us would probably prefer that there were none at all, but since they are there...how much do they bother you?

Do you think that the fee's are excessive, or not all that bad?

PayPal fees are crazy. I'm looking forward when they will die :)
I prefer Liberty Reserve

Paypal fees are high . But if you are running a business and have a business account you can pay to have less fees like 1.9% than 3.6%