What Forum software do you prefer?

I perfer xenForo, its sleek and fast. I own the company that makes IceBB, no plans to countinue its development right now.

I like PHPBB for the price but the support behind it is good too.
I need to know the community will close holes or fix problems fast.

vBulletin for the frontend features. Definitely the best.

However I prefer MyBB for the backend features, such as the Admin CP and Mod CP, seem more easy to understand and just generally better than vBulletins ones.

I believe vBulletin is the most comprehensive forum software if you are ready to pay for the license. SMF (simple machines forum) is a free-of-charge yet powerful solution, a smart choice, though.

I'm amazed at the number of people who are still saying vBulletin is the choice of forum software. The latest development of vbConnect is horrendous. Yes its still beta but it should be considered Alpha. I dont know anyone that has purchased it and is happy with it. IB has also left their terms and conditions open to allow them to take a cut of your Google Adsense revenue should they choose to do so. While they have said in the past they have no plans on doing so, they still have the ability "to make plans" to do so.

This is a direct quote from vBulletins TOS surrounding the Adsense Integration:

When installing this version [version 4] and using the AdSense integration provided by vBulletin.com, users are agreeing to allow Internet Brands to access information about the performance of their ad units. Internet Brands will also be given a monetary referral credit if someone signs up for an AdSense account through a link on the vBulletin forum rather than the owner of the forum.[33]

Questions about the Adsense Integration and revenue sharing were proposed to vBulletin developers and the following was said:

The owner of the forum is also agreeing to potentially share revenue in the future. While the percentage of revenue sharing is currently set to 0%, a vBulletin Team Member has stated it may be subject to change in the future.[34]

Users are required to opt-out of data sharing if they have activated the AdSense integration and linked their vBulletin.com account with their AdSense account, but by doing so are left unable to use the integration features.

The owner of the forum is also agreeing to potentially share revenue in the future. While the percentage of revenue sharing is currently set to 0%, a vBulletin Team Member has stated it may be subject to change in the future.[34]

Users are required to opt-out of data sharing if they have activated the AdSense integration and linked their vBulletin.com account with their AdSense account, but by doing so are left unable to use the integration features.

And guess what, by sharing this information with vBulletin, you are in direct violation of Google Adsens's Terms of Service which states you cannot share your Adsense revenue details.

Over the past few months IB has going on a banning spree on their forums to silence any criticism of the software and just asking an honest question about something that isn't working is enough to have your Official vBulletin Form account suspended or banned. There are many power users of the software that have been members for years - since the Jelsoft days that can no longer access the forums because of their criticism. Just look at any forum admin website and there is no lack of complaints.

In preparation for the mass exodus of users (which IB knew was going to come because of all of the complaints), IB limited the sale of your own personal vBulletin license and even charges a $50 transfer fee if you decide to sell it. Once its sold - it can never be sold again (except in Europe where EU laws prevent this).

Now take a look at the lawsuit IB filed against XenForo over the ex Jelsoft Developers creating a new forum software. IB Claims their code was filled with stolen code from IB's vBulletin. Most specifically the facebook "Like" button. Yes that's right, IB, owners of vBulletin are claiming a copyright on the "Like" button technology. I wonder how Facebook feels about that. When vBulletin hired an expert to comb through all of Xenforo's code looking for stolen code, their expert couldn't find a single line. The Judge in the case ruled IB intentionally filed a lawsuit in the hopes Xenforo wouldn't be able to afford to fight it. This wasn't the case.

Now I'm not at all advocating XenForo is a better software, I've never used it, but I can say vBullein is quickly loosing its member base and a few other forums software suites are on the rise because of it (IPB and SMF).

Personally, what IB has done not only to destroy vBulletin, but also the childish ways they treat their customers, forum members, and the frivolous lawsuit against XenForo was more than enough to permanently turn be off vBulletin for as long as its owned and developed by IB. They are trying as hard as they can to create a monopoly on the forums software market.

If your still interested in using vBulletin, by all means go right ahead and spend your money. Just remember you're purchasing a dyeing software that will probably be around for the next few years - 5 - 10, but the cost will go up (the price has risen 75% since IB purchased it from Jelsoft), and other forum software will surpass it. Every great kingdom has to fall at some point and vBulletin has started to colapse

Last edited:
I used to say VBulletin, until i tried figuring out their plugin system, then I ran away screaming. :)

Now I use Drupal, and couldn't be happier with it. The forum needs some touching up, but if you download the Advanced Forum module, as well as some other modules, it is just like one of the other popular forums. And writing modules for Drupal is really easy. I wrote a module last weekend. I expected it to take at least two weeks, but it was done in two or three days. I still want to add features to it, but the point is that it is a lot easier than I would have ever imagined.

There are tons of modules for Drupal to extend its functionality, and most of these modules are very well-supported and actively developed.