What Forum software do you prefer?

I prefer IPB but it is to costly to have to purchase a licence for it. But the alternative for me would be phpBB which is free and similar from softaculous if you have it.

Phpbb, bbPress Forum, MYBB, SMF, etc are some of the best free forum softwares.

vBulletin, IP.Board, XenForo etc are some of the best paid forum softwares.

forum from years is my big obsession!

MMm...now it's more difficult...

mybb for free platform is the best, but now isn't support like few years ago for forum crisis. but i really dont know why Vanilla Forum is so "anonymous"
It's very light and in core has a lot of features

Paid sw xenforo
I heard it's better of vbulletin and more stable.

I always loved IPB and Vbulletin. These two had a lot of good add-ons and were generally easy to use.

Since this discussion was started 15 years ago, the list in the first post might not be the most relevant thing anymore :)

Personally my go-to forum software is always Flarum - love the software, the ecosystem, and the community.

Since this discussion was started 15 years ago, the list in the first post might not be the most relevant thing anymore :)

Personally my go-to forum software is always Flarum - love the software, the ecosystem, and the community.
Never heard of Flarum before. Must have been living in a cave. Looks interesting.

I've been tracking Flarum since forever and have even considered it as software of choice for HostingDiscussion during migration from vBulletin a few years ago. Back then it wasn't very stable, in my view, and I realized the community wasn't big enough to produce interesting add-ons.

I used to be a Xenforo customer and fan however their updates seem to take forever, they're only on 2.2... 13 years and only the second version and second minor version. I do have a license for IPB and that's my favourite lately.