Linux or windows?

My Keyword research suggests there is demand for Windows. My problem is finding the right control panel for it. We will offer it soon so watch this space.

Microsoft is making a big push into hosted services like Windows Cloud Servers and Office 365 Live so it would make sense to use their branding to help your business.

I prefer to use Windows. But I would rather resell cPanel Linux, because it's so turnkey and hands-off. While Plesk is a great Windows panel, I think it has a higher problem ratio.

A lot of anti-Windows dogma is very outdated. IIS7 can actually run PHP better than Linux Apache now. I have a feeling that IIS8 or IIS9 may actually be more like nginx + reverse proxy Apache for rewrite and PHP. Just a gut feeling, nothing to back it up.

Depends on what you want

Asp.net demands windows (or alot of linux hack tricks)

linux works better (out of the box) with php

cpanel is a well known linux control panel and has lots of features and addons for it.

joe

Take it from someone that made the mistake of choosing Windows to start hosting.
You can't get the same level of security with Windows as you will get with Linux right out of the box.
I moved to FreeBSD because of the Windows 2000 server getting hit by hackers with no method of stopping them other than completely denying access to the server.

Even if you had to pay for Linux it would still be worth the money as you get a more secure environment to run.

I even heard some say "well you can't run Windows only programs on Linux" well some you can using Wine. But honestly that is so weak of an argument to choose a platform. Same applies for Linux only programs. You can run them on Windows using cygwin. That does not however make the program fully Linux compliant.
So you can't run ASP.Net who cares. Don't use ASP use something else like PHP/Java/Python take your pick.

I actually started learning programming by having to fix PERL scripts because most of them were programmed to run on a BSD type system, so you had to alter paths and such to get them to work on a IIS server.

Apache is the #1 server on the net and almost always runs on a BSD type system, so stick with what almost everyone is using.

The only thing I can think of that Windows can do that Linux can't is pass the Microsoft Authentic Software verification since it is most definitely not Windows.

Try to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges and you will come out fine.

I sell Linux. I definitely prefer linux, but I have been thinking about offering Windows. It is another income stream of course. So I firgured what the heck.

My Keyword research suggests there is demand for Windows

My experience is that requests for windows hosting service are _generally_ by people who think they need it because they're running Windows on their desktop, not because they need any of the server-side facilities.

What do you prefer to resell? Windows or linux?
Of course you say linux, but if you would like to resell windows what move you to start reselling windows web hosting services?
If you want money - you should sell all what can be selled :)

Linux always better security than windows...
and windows always become the target of attack by hacker..

but windows has a wide range of compatible tools and plug.ins, plus, you don't get softwares from internet if you are trying to run any program, windows automatically searches available software for it.

Actually i like Linux but i use the windows because there are more users connected to windows and it has many applications related to it than any other.

Linux for servers, OS X for desktops, Windows for the garbage.

I've tried all 3 as desktop software and in the end OS X is what I force the family to buy as I'm done dealing with viruses on Windows, and Linux is too difficult for them.