Linux or windows?

Both of them have different usage. More user preferred Linux as you don't need to pay extra just for an OS.Also, Linux is the most common platform and easy to use. Most hosting company offer this and included on their packages particularly (CentOS) while Windows OS are being made as add ons for the service.

MOD NOTE: Signatures must be setup in your profile and not manually added to your messages.

Depends on the requirement. If you build your site with .NET, then you need to use Windows. Windows is user friendly. But I believe Linux is good OS too.

Linux is much easier than windows. Windows giving so many issues such as virus issues , Waldemar , hacking etc.. Personalty I don't like window.

Linux is much easier than windows. Windows giving so many issues such as virus issues , Waldemar , hacking etc.. Personalty I don't like window.

I believe both of them have their superioty. If someone build their site with .net, we cant go for linux, we need to find windows hosting provider.

I find it difficult to be an expert in both. I've chosen Windows because its what I know plus the fact you can run php on windows just as well if not better.

Yes, definitely right, you can run both PHP and ASP.NET on windows. This is the superiority in windows. ;) And windows is very user friendly.

I prefer linux and I'm not interested in windows .

I second that. We run Linux cPanel servers only. My workstation is Ubuntu. I run a Windows VM for certain things but Linux does everything I need.

We have 6 techs, all but one run some flavor of Linux. The designers, they usually use MACs (shocker) and Windows.

if you would like to resell windows what move you to start reselling windows web hosting services?

Windows hosting is not so popular as Linux hosting. However some users ask about Windows hosting solutions. So if you know how to run reliable Windows hosting and have enough resources then why should you not provide it ?

Most people tend to say that linux is safer, linux is better, etc etc. Its easy to find a good Linux Server Administrator out in the market.
But is hard to find a good Windows Server Admin.

A well managed windows server is as good or even better than a linux server from my point of view.

Having both, Linux and Windows is good for any hosting company if you have the resources to manage it. Having a windows server with a poor managment will bring many headaches to you and your clients.

The way hosting panels are today just about anyone can start a linux hosting business. It takes a little more savvy to manage a windows hosting environment. I don't think I have met a windows host that did not have hands-on server experience, but I have met plenty of linux hosts that don't.

However some users ask about Windows hosting solutions.

Asking and ordering are 2 different things.

we had several clients ask about Windows Hosting, so we went to the expense of setting up a Windows server and then mailed all clients that we had a Windows server, 3 months went by and not 1 client (even those saying they wanted Windows hosting) signed up or asked to migrate to the windows server, so we decided to revert the server back to a linux server

Linux is easier to use and it costs less than Windows.

It depends on what you know. I think windows is easier (if no control panel available). However, the control panels for linux makes it easier for the novice then the control panels for windows does. (given a profession to do the installation)

I have a customer with a linux cloud server at Rackspace. Most of the tasks I have to do require me to do reasearch on Google. The OS is Ubuntu and I have noticed that some the commands I read about don't work on Ubuntu, further complicating my day. If it was windows, no problem for me. Fortunatlely I have a Linux guy I can call when the going gets rough -- and pay.

it costs less than Windows

Only on the surface.

Last edited:
We use only Linux. We do occasionally have clients asking for Windows but the vast majority prefer Linux.

Haven't really used windows but I definitely prefer Linux. I've used it more and know more about it which is why i'm tending to stick with it at the minute. I might have a look into Windows in the future though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansrtch