Intel or AMD ?

We're currently provisioning servers with Intel, however, we're going to make the leap to offer and standarise AMD for virtualised servers at some point in 2022.

Hey there!
In my years of experience as a technical support engineer in the web hosting business, I've rarely seen hosting companies use AMD processors. Most web hosting companies just prefer Intel over AMD. I don't know the reason or if it does have an impact on the final product, but it is what it is.
Thank you

Lmao, what came first the chicken or the egg. Everyone will have their own opinion.

Last couple of years I personally think AMD has become way better. With the new generation of I series from Intel though I'd say they are catching up and neck and neck at the moment.

Personally, I prefer AMD but we at SpeedyPage do use Intel, it mainly comes down to CPU value when choosing, we may well release a range of services on AMD soon!

Intel not just in hosting but also personal choice, always hated AMD never had much fun with it to be frank.

Intel is more ubiquitous as the name "Xeon" has become synonymous with dedicated servers. However the big providers like Google and Oracle use AMD's Epyc CPU which has I think 128 cores, a monster compared to the usual 4-8 cores. I've been using Intel's Xeon processor since it's inception and it has proved to be able to handle resource intensive processes very well.

Both are great for different things. From our companies personal experience. AMD is better for lower loads, but works faster. Like a RPC or maybe game servers is a good idea for a AMD processor, however Intel is most likely better for like a Virtualization server.

Intel battle is quite clearly defined: If your software and tasks can take advantage of more cores and threads, AMD's processors are better, as they have more.

To put it in simple terms:
Intel = Availability, Popularity and Compatibility
AMD = Performance and Pricing

Most Important is price vs performance.
It can't be always Intel is better or AMD is better. Evaluate your Application, cost and requirements. based on that you can choose best match.

Most Important is price vs performance.
It can't be always Intel is better or AMD is better. Evaluate your Application, cost and requirements. based on that you can choose best match.

I have not figured out a way to compare the 2 in a real world application. Circumstances change so rapidly how can you really know which one is better?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saranya Subramaniam