how you choose the best hosting providers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea Terry, I know you don't like web hosting geeks.
I was referring to the actual customer reviews and ratings on there.

1&1 - 34/100
Hostgator - 49/100
Godaddy - 41/100
Arvixe - 75/100 ( they just recently started going down hill)

This is still a lot better then most of the "review" sites out there that list those companies as the best in the world!

Yea Terry, I know you don't like web hosting geeks.
I was referring to the actual customer reviews and ratings on there.

1&1 - 34/100
Hostgator - 49/100
Godaddy - 41/100
Arvixe - 75/100 ( they just recently started going down hill)

This is still a lot better then most of the "review" sites out there that list those companies as the best in the world!

but you stated
For honest reviews, check our WebHostingGeeks.com or ReviewHell.com

but they are not honest on both sites the top reviews all pay to be their

I guess there are a few things that needs to be consider in this situation - security, resources and general performance. When it comes to security measures I look for such a features as DDoS protection, reliable hardware, data center protection measures and etc. When it comes to resources - the best thing is when a company can offer you customizable resources so that you can upgrade your plan when you feel the resources you have are not enough anymore. However, when talking about the performance, I think you can get the best opinion only from other customers that have been using the certain service.

Tips to choose the best hosting providers

When looking around for a best hosting provider, keep these five important questions in mind:

Reliability:
How often will your site be unavailable? Reliability or uptime is of vital importance and something that should be carefully considered before choosing a host. For business websites this is even more important than personal.

Customer Service:
Will you get help when you need it? Customer service is sometimes one of those aspects people are willing to compromise in order to get a lower cost. But before you decide this is not important to you, consider your frustration and potential loss of income if you cannot get help when you need it.

Pricing:
Is the cost competitive? Of course price is a consideration especially in tough economic times. Research the cost for your hosting providers comparing each company you consider. Keep in mind that there may be variances in cost based on the available features. So make sure you narrow your choices to the ones that have the features you want first then compare like features. Choose the best combination of cost and features. Also, consider the payment plans and determine if these are convenient for you.

Company Stability:
Will your host be there for the long haul? Companies come and go and the web hosting industry can be particularly prone to fly-by-night companies. Added to that is the prevalence of resellers that have bulk accounts through a major host and resell their services. If you deal with a reseller, make sure you research the reputation of the reseller as well as the primary company.

Space and Bandwidth:
Do you have what you need? Space and bandwidth are primary considerations for your hosting package. The amount of space you need depends on the number and size of the files you will have on your site. Be aware, though, that even large sites typically do not need a lot of disc space so web hosts will offer unlimited disc space or large amounts of disc space as a selling point. The fact is, you will likely not need it so don't put too much emphasis on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
W
Space and Bandwidth:
Do you have what you need? Space and bandwidth are primary considerations for your hosting package. The amount of space you need depends on the number and size of the files you will have on your site. ....even large sites typically do not need a lot of disc space so web hosts will offer unlimited disc space or large amounts of disc space as a selling point. The fact is, you will likely not need it so don't put too much emphasis on this.

You've got it backwards. Its precisely because because you (and your site sukitable for shared hosting environment) will not likely not need a lot of disk space or bandwidth that space and bandwidth are not, or should not be, primary considerations, and thus shaould also be the deciding factor when choosing a hosting plan.

CPU, Disk I/O, RAM are the primary limiting factors in shared hosting environment. Choose a host that recognizes these things and charges by the number of sites you want to host, not how many MB or GB the site needs.

Last edited:
[admin - somehow I butchered my own post and got called away before I could finish editing. Please delete my one above. Thanks]

Space and Bandwidth:
Space and bandwidth are primary considerations for your hosting package. The amount of space you need depends on the number and size of the files you will have on your site. Be aware, though, that even large sites typically do not need a lot of disc space so web hosts will offer unlimited disc space or large amounts of disc space as a selling point. The fact is, you will likely not need it so don't put too much emphasis on this.

You've got it backwards. Its precisely because because you (or your site suitable for shared hosting environment) will not likely need a lot of disk space or bandwidth that space and bandwidth are not, or should not be, primary considerations. CPU, Disk I/O, RAM are the primary limiting factors in shared hosting environment. Choose a host that recognizes these things and charges by the number of sites you want to host, not how many MB or GB the site needs.

Well, Most of the users see 24x7 Support, 99% uptime and Best Services at low cost and Some Discounts.
While I love the 99% uptime or even 100% for your site to stay up and functioning just as you want it to, a lot more resources will come into play. Often the resource you need depends on what you do. If am hosting a streaming website, I will choose a host that gives me a lot of bandwidth. If on the other hand am hosting media files I might go for disk space. Baseline is there is no universal measure a host is good for you depending on your need.

Mostly for me I want support and fast support, I like my tickets to be answered within 10 mins, and the only way I can achieve that sort of support is by going with a big company and obviously they must have good reviews and good uptime.

Good support is key with any hosting solution, while some people suggest large companies they are not always the best or quickest however it's best finding a few providers who you feel look good for your business and test their replies out if possible.

There may be no best hosting provider for all since everyone has a different set of requirements.
Options I consider before buying would be mainly service and support (incase of issues beyond control) followed by a background check and reviews. If a company values a client paying $5/mo, they would value a client paying $500/mo.
I would make a shortlist of the companies meeting my requirements and go with the one most suitable for my needs.
I would never go with long billing cycles with any company I have no experience with regardless of their reputation.

First of all we need to analyze our requirements, then after we need to gather all hosting provider's data. Then need to know their Technical support level, network uptime, features they providing these all points will be different as of their perspectives even we can consider the price here, or else there are many forums where we can easily find solutions for these types of confusions.

First of all we need to analyze our requirements, then after we need to gather all hosting provider's data. Then need to know their Technical support level, network uptime, features they providing....

That's too much work for the average person who plans to spend only a few bucks month. I mean, really, its not like buying a computer.

When in doubt choose a large hosting company that has been around for years to get your process going. Then learn from managing your own site what would be a good host for you. Keep in mind that shared hosting is a commodity and there is not much difference between one host and another. If your web site size is 1 GB it makes no difference if you go with a host with a 3 GB plan or a host with a 5 Gb plan. Similarly with bandwidth, email accounts, etc.

As a matter of fact, disk space and bw should not even enter into the decision making process. Thus do yourself a favor and keep it simple by narrowing your choices to hosts that do not use a bunch of hosting plans based on a confusing array of hosting quotas. Concentrate on other factors instead of trying to compare a dozen confusing plans from a couple hosts

That's too much work for the average person who plans to spend only a few bucks month. I mean, really, its not like buying a computer.

When in doubt choose a large hosting company that has been around for years to get your process going. Then learn from managing your own site what would be a good host for you. Keep in mind that shared hosting is a commodity and there is not much difference between one host and another. If your web site size is 1 GB it makes no difference if you go with a host with a 3 GB plan or a host with a 5 Gb plan. Similarly with bandwidth, email accounts, etc.

As a matter of fact, disk space and bw should not even enter into the decision making process. Thus do yourself a favor and keep it simple by narrowing your choices to hosts that do not use a bunch of hosting plans based on a confusing array of hosting quotas. Concentrate on other factors instead of trying to compare a dozen confusing plans from a couple hosts

As per the requirement client can contact the support team and clear out all the issue, While selecting he needs to check the reviews and customer's feedback. That will definitely help him to choose the hosting provider. And these are the basic research which he needs to do before buying anything online.

This will ultimately come down to the individual who is needing the hosting. Is this hosting a wordpress blog or a mission critical cluster? The hosting company for one would likely not be a great choice for the other, and vice versa.

General qualities you would like to see in a web hosting company, though are:

Friendly staff - This doesn't sound like it would make much difference, but dealing with genuinely nice people on a regular basis will make a human being more likely to overlook the occasional flaw in performance or design.

24/7 Support - This is a must, not because you will frequently open support tickets in the middle of the night, but because the one time you do need someone to check on things at a ridiculous hour, you will be thankful someone is awake in the data center. There is nothing quite like having your busy website offline and having to wait until business hours just to report the outage, let alone get it resolved.

Network Performance - This is big for everyone. The WordPress blog wants faster page load times and the mission-critical cluster wants 100% connectivity at 10Gbps.

Reliable infrastructure - It doesn't matter how nice of people they are or how quickly they respond to a ticket. If there servers are always down, your website would do better with the jerks who's servers are constantly up, but always have a snide remark when you open a support ticket.

Find that sweet spot that blends as many of those characteristics together, but also has experience with your specific project requirements, and you'll have found the best hosting provider...for you.

24/7 Support - This is a must, not because you will frequently open support tickets in the middle of the night, but because the one time you do need someone to check on things at a ridiculous hour, you will be thankful someone is awake in the data center. There is nothing quite like having your busy website offline and having to wait until business hours just to report the outage, let alone get it resolved.

this is what confuses a lot of people as

24/7 Support is totally different to 24/7 Live Support

just saying 24/7 Support could just mean you have support options available 24/7 which could be and FAQ section, Knowledgebase etc. It does not mean a human will be available 24/7.
but saying 24/7 Live Support means that you have a human available 24/7

Status
Not open for further replies.