How much have you earned on hosting

For about 3 years, I made roughly £35k, can't wait to get back into it.

12k for 12 years seems very small to me?

70 thousand and just new with 10 clients

Yes over ten years I made 70k that just 7k per year, design and hosting, four websites at 2k per year that how I did it, my needs were not great so 7k worked ok for me while I learn the business, now I am looking to expend trying to make 70k in one year

70 thousand and just new with 10 clients

Yes over ten years I made 70k that just 7k per year, design and hosting, four websites at 2k per year that how I did it, my needs were not great so 7k worked ok for me while I learn the business, now I am looking to expend trying to make 70k in one year

but you clearly stated in another thread

with just 10 clients I am still new

which indicates you have been in business less than 1 year let alone 10+ years.

The site I now run is Sonwebhost it has ten active clients started it in 2010

but they way you wrote the posts Sonwebhost are new with 10 clients and made 70 thousand.

i would say 2 years then you are not new and too only have 10 clients in 2 years then you must be doing something wrong in marketing

not my intention over 10 years 70k you may be correct that over 2 years I should have more clients I should improve my marketing as you say but lets see how it goes I never give up....

lets see how it goes I never give up....

that is the key NEVER GIVE UP!. i could have walked away in 2005 when i had a host bail out and i lost 90% of my clientbase. i had a great business and was only using a master reseller account which was good and working for me over 4 years (i was thinking of a VPS) but as business was good and as they say if it does not need fixing then just leave it alone. then all of a sudden the sites go down and 3 days later i get a message that they had a hard drive failure and need to change this and my IPs etc would change ( strange for a HD failure) but at least i was back up and running and no lost clients. about 3 weeks later i wake to angry client messages to say their sites were down, so i checked and yes all was down again. after 5 days of constantly trying to contact the host as their site was also down they told me they suffered a hard drive failure and would be back up and running in a couple of days ( strange 2 HD fails in a month) a weeks later and still no sites and nothing from host and many of my clients jumpped ship ( could not blame them) so i managed to find a temp host so i could get what client i had left back online ( this host did not have everything i needed for some clients sites to work 100%, but at least clints were back online. It is then i decided would be the time to look at VPS so i was in charge. I found 1 and i wished i had done this years before. been at this point since and even managed to get some old clients back.

I'm not going to disclose any numbers for our company, however I will add my encouragement to those that are in the business to keep at it. It can be a very profitable business if you run it right - but then, ANY business is profitable if run correctly ;)

I left my corporate job back in early 2000 and have never looked back. We are a 100% debt free company, always have been. As always, the idea is to work smarter, not harder - that usually means having a stellar employee team that are given enough rope to do their job and make decisions as needed!

Thanks for your words of encouragement we all need them in this business. I have benefited form being in this buseness not only financially but as a person with integrity it makes getting online worthwhile. Thanks again.

I'm not going to disclose any numbers for our company, however I will add my encouragement to those that are in the business to keep at it. It can be a very profitable business if you run it right - but then, ANY business is profitable if run correctly ;)

I left my corporate job back in early 2000 and have never looked back. We are a 100% debt free company, always have been. As always, the idea is to work smarter, not harder - that usually means having a stellar employee team that are given enough rope to do their job and make decisions as needed!

Indeed it can be profitable but getting it right can be very hard.

Indeed it can be profitable but getting it right can be very hard.
Very true - especially for people who are just starting out.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that if I was only starting out in web hosting now, I'd not even attempt it and instead invest my time in other ventures. The web hosting industry is a saturated market. That's not to say that you can't do well in it, but it's definitely saturated. Web Design is almost as saturated as really there's no degree or certifications required to say that you're a web host or a web designer. It's taken pretty much at face value.

If starting out, developing a niche or a dedication to a certain product line is almost a requirement. There'll always be giants such as GoDaddy and even Google's Web hosting venture, but many people choose to avoid the nightmares that come with large businesses and instead stay with smaller hosting companies.

As long as you provide good service at a reasonable price, people will continue to sign up for web hosting. When you put everything together, there's money to be made, but the days of starting for less than $100 are quickly fading into the past (thankfully).