HostGator Going Downhill

It is interesting that this site is featuring a HostGator affiliate banner today...

The list of hosting companies now owned by EIG is quite long. I have looked around for hosting companies not on that list, but it's a rather long process to find a good hosting company. I had a recommendation for an outfit called web hosting buzz, but I found that they recently disabled sending email from a hosted PHP script -- meaning I can't even do a group email to the guest authors on one of my sites, which is a show-stopper.

One thing I have considered is doing a CPanel installation on my S3 account, as well as hosting my mailing list there. However, I'm not sure I want to devote *that* much of my life to maintaining my websites. Especially since if I have any technical issues there, I will be on my own. The problem that the HostGator tech fixed for me yesterday is one that I would never have found by myself.

For now, HostGator is satisfactory (actually more than just satisfactory), but I'm keeping my eye out for a another one in case I start experiencing the problems everyone is talking about in this thread.

I've had enough practice in just the last week (I did 4 migrations back and forth between two domains) that I can now do a complete host migration of any of my sites in about 10 minutes, so I could get all of my sites off of HostGator with a day's notice. (I keep regular backups.)

The IP addresses for the name servers I am using are listed with a Utah physical address.

Give it some time. :)

It is interesting that this site is featuring a HostGator affiliate banner today...

The list of hosting companies now owned by EIG is quite long. I have looked around for hosting companies not on that list, but it's a rather long process to find a good hosting company. I had a recommendation for an outfit called web hosting buzz, but I found that they recently disabled sending email from a hosted PHP script -- meaning I can't even do a group email to the guest authors on one of my sites, which is a show-stopper.

One thing I have considered is doing a CPanel installation on my S3 account, as well as hosting my mailing list there. However, I'm not sure I want to devote *that* much of my life to maintaining my websites. Especially since if I have any technical issues there, I will be on my own. The problem that the HostGator tech fixed for me yesterday is one that I would never have found by myself.

For now, HostGator is satisfactory (actually more than just satisfactory), but I'm keeping my eye out for a another one in case I start experiencing the problems everyone is talking about in this thread.

I've had enough practice in just the last week (I did 4 migrations back and forth between two domains) that I can now do a complete host migration of any of my sites in about 10 minutes, so I could get all of my sites off of HostGator with a day's notice. (I keep regular backups.)

The Ad you're seeing of most likely because you've been to their site. They're cookie targeted ads - Google Ads.

Give it some time. :)
All things, good or bad, eventually come to an end. So far, HostGator has not given me any reason not to recommend them.

It may be possible that the general negative buzz about the EIG takeover has prompted them to improve service.

Or maybe I'm just lucky.

Or maybe my support ticket requests are unusually well-worded. I go to some lengths to explain exactly what the problem is, what I have already tried, and the results I experienced. I don't submit a support ticket until I have spent a substantial amount of time working on the problem myself. Then, I give some thought about the subject line to try to make it easy to understand, with keywords that make it easy to find later.

Since I'm a programmer myself, I know that the tech support folks *really* like that approach.

There is an art to getting good support.

I love customers who take time and effort to explain something clearly, this drastically reduces time to fix.

HostaGator is probably the only EIG host with good reviews. Time will tell, if they keep their staff it might stay like this.

I have used HostGator off in on in the past, I will say I think there service is going down hill. In the past I have had really bad load times and sites not even loading. Support took forever to get back to me. I finally moved away and happy I did.

Agreedddd Hostgator downhill

Dude,

I'm very far from being a HostGator fan and I think that they are over seller, but when I see posts like yours, I tend to start advocating… How do you know that any particular company is going downhill? Are you a customer? HAve you tried one's services? Do you know anything about their servers or the way they manage them? Do you have any information about what did the new owner change after the acquisition… or you are just posting, posting and posting?

I used to work in domain registrar& hosting provider company and one of my tasks was constant comparison of company's services to our competitors' services quality and cost.

Hostgator was on the list and I contacted them once in chat with an intention to register a domain and create a single Email forwarder to my Gmail. They started to assure me I needed a full hosting plan for that (Email/URL forwarding comes free from Registry with a domain, in case you did not know).

Upsell? of course. Seems legit? Nope. Satisfied? Not even a bit.

Yes, it is a usual business practice, but I contacted them several times afterwards and got the same results. They always tried to sell me what I did not need and tried to assure me it was vital for my requests.

Their services may be reliable, but their sales techniques are awful, for sure. They are not going downhill, though, they simply modify their tactics and modus operandi. If this results in better support and more fair approach to customers - I am really positive on it.

My first ever web host. Hostgator, they used to be fantastic. But I don't know whats been going on with them lately, ads in cpanel, support has gone down the drain. Bullocks. Always pick a small business I've moved to, always been happy.

I got some customer from them.HG going down for their support.Now a days taking time to provide support.they have to hire more people for support otherwise they loose all customer.

Hostgator has not started off the new year with rave reviews. The key in web hosting is to provide high quality customer service as domaingood points out in his/her post. There are some good providers out there who understand this and are taking note of the exodus from Hostgator. Many good mid level web hosting providers are doing a better job at providing high quality support than the big known names are at this point.

HostGator is considered a large buisness when it comes to hosting and domains and things of that nature. There are so many mixed opinions about HostGator that it is hard to judge whether they would be a good company for you. I personally like HostGator and believe they do an excellent job. But then again, I am one of many people who has an opinion on HostGator.

Going down hill? No way! Haven't you seen their fantastic new art direction?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v30x_aNq1XQ

Personally, I think they can't go wrong with a film / concept like that. Definitely the best web hosting short film I've seen all year.

Shooting a short video like this, which is funny, no doubt has anything to do with web hosting. Whoever puts efforts on videos like this, instead of focusing on improving the reliability of service, is definitely going wrong.

Web hosting is not that hard to do if you do not cheap customers offering "unlimited" if you do not use tricks to limit the resource usage and if you invest in quality infrastructure and network. a good service speaks for itself.