HostGator Going Downhill

Unfortunate. However you are in luck with the hosting market at most reputable hosts will migrate you to their service free of charge. So need not worry about that part. As for hostgator, I have not personally used them but I have heard of reputation. Couple of friends have worked for them as well.

Did your friends like working for them?

Prior to their many internal policy changes no. They had a very restrictive work environment and no incentives or benefits for working. Furthermore, they were quick to show the boot to people who do not meet "their standard," yet would hire just about anyone with 2 feet.

LOL that is funny. When I had hostgator over 5 years ago the support was lacking. I talked to like 3 different techs and half the time they had no idea what I was talking about. Eventually I added Brent to my skype or was it msn any way I started getting support directly from him.
I was suspended for having an rpg system though. RPG systems are not something they allow. It took until a cpu issue for them to even find that I had an rpg system. I had them for less than a year though. I no longer have an rpg system as it has not been updated in over 5 years as well. I actually think the last update for it was around the time I got hostgator. Let me look at when that actually was. Ah back in 2007.

You mean do not allow rpg system?
Some hosts I had didn't care unless it caused cpu issues. The game used more cpu cycles the longer it went with out a reset so on some hosts I just reset it once a month. I actually did that up until the day I stopped using it. Which I think was about 2 years ago. Just looked and yep we stopped using it as of July 2011, which I guess is actually less then 2 years.

I was using vps at that time. So I guess it was not that long ago that I was able to go back to shared. I am so glad to be able to go back to shared though. It is so much cheaper.

HostGator used to be good, but I agree, now they are going down the drain!!

Honestly I wouldn't put that to much on the fact that EIG acquired them and more to do with their growth.

They are struggling to hire and train the right people to cover their constantly rapid growth, just imagine the daily signups they get - For the past few years I don't think their has been a day they haven't been hiring new people and investing into getting qualified people.

Just to show you how much they try to get new people in the doors, they've invested heavily to get new employees from paying $5000 relocation assistance for new employees, cut marketing budgets to invest that money into hiring campaigns etc...

At the same time somewhere on WHT it was noted that they didn't do what Brent did and they plan to do so soon (cut marketing again to invest that into hiring campaigns).

I really do hope HostGator pulls through like they did before (and I believe they will).

We shouldn't all just attack HostGator because its now an EIG brand, many other factors come into play when considering a company going down hill, you have to remember the same management team etc... are still in place at HostGator running HostGator as normal (unsure of how much influence EIG has behind the scenes but generally things seem to have stayed the same with the exception for struggling to keep up with growth).

We shouldn't all just attack HostGator because its now an EIG brand, many other factors come into play when considering a company going down hill, you have to remember the same management team etc... are still in place at HostGator running HostGator as normal (unsure of how much influence EIG has behind the scenes but generally things seem to have stayed the same with the exception for struggling to keep up with growth).

Since Brent O. is not anymore, there Hostgator won't be anymore what was before, the problem is on our days companies are hiring diploma not people with knowledge (schools are not really what were before). I was a Hostgator customer for years with dedicated servers but right now they are good for Wordpress sites not for serious projects. Other words is a big company but for small projects.

This is just my opinion.

Since Brent O. is not anymore, there Hostgator won't be anymore what was before, the problem is on our days companies are hiring diploma not people with knowledge (schools are not really what were before). I was a Hostgator customer for years with dedicated servers but right now they are good for Wordpress sites not for serious projects. Other words is a big company but for small projects.

This is just my opinion.

Oh HostGator would never be the same without Brent I agree, it was very easy to get in touch with Brent almost felt like a personal company for such a size.

My point was I don't believe their problems today are due to the fact EIG acquired them. I think this would have happened anyways, maybe with Brent he would have handled it differently (cut marketing earlier like before to invest into getting talent into the doors) though who knows.

OK, I was hoping the EIG buyout would not hurt my long term reseller host, but they are going downhill quick. Two email blacklists because of my IP, Google block due to another account on shared server, now 30 minute wait time since they charged me for a domain name that I transferred to another registrar. May be looking for another reseller account soon, hope it is not an insane pain to transfer. :crash:

It doesn't necessary mean that all the EIG hosting providers are not reliable.

Ip blockings, hacks and other issues happen on all types of servers and sometimes they are caused because of the site software which was not updated in time or because of the simple passwords set for the FTP and email accounts.

OK, I was hoping the EIG buyout would not hurt my long term reseller host, but they are going downhill quick. Two email blacklists because of my IP, Google block due to another account on shared server, now 30 minute wait time since they charged me for a domain name that I transferred to another registrar. May be looking for another reseller account soon, hope it is not an insane pain to transfer. :crash:

That is always the problem on shared servers, if someone on the server sends out spam and the IP gets blacklisted this effects everyone on the IP. you could get yourself a dedicated IP on a shared server, so therefore if the your ded IP gets blacklisted then its your doing, but you are not effected by the main servers IP being blacklisted.

That is always the problem on shared servers, if someone on the server sends out spam and the IP gets blacklisted this effects everyone on the IP. you could get yourself a dedicated IP on a shared server, so therefore if the your ded IP gets blacklisted then its your doing, but you are not effected by the main servers IP being blacklisted.

This is false

Reallocation of an IP does not clean up its bad reputation. Moreover the one IP may be part of entire block of IPs with bad reputation. Thus, advice “You do what you want, if you get blocked it’s your fault" is inappropriate since the guy who had that dedicated IP before you may have followed that advice. A lot of ISPs but a lot of weight on domain reputation these days -- in that case it doesn't matter what IP you have, and if you have a good domain reputation "you can take it with you."

Last edited:
This is false

Reallocation of an IP does not clean up its bad reputation. Moreover the one IP may be part of entire block of IPs with bad reputation. Thus, advice “You do what you want, if you get blocked it’s your fault" is inappropriate since the guy who had that dedicated IP before you may have followed that advice. A lot of ISPs but a lot of weight on domain reputation these days -- in that case it doesn't matter what IP you have, and if you have a good domain reputation "you can take it with you."

this show you know nothing bout web hosting

shared hosting shares a single IP address ( say 100 sites), if 1 of them sites sends out spam and the IP gets blacklisted then this will show for the IP for the 100 sites.

if you have 1 of these sites and then get a clean dedicated IP then the blacklist will no longer effect your site as you are no longer on the shared IP.

then its up to the host to locate which site had the IP blacklisted and get rid of that site and then to contact which RBL blacklisted the IP to have the IP unlisted.

It also depends which blacklist you get put on. I know from my ips getting blocked that some times the mail server gets blocked and some times the individual spammers ip gets blocked. Also some times the domain it self gets blocked. it depends which block list it is on.

Personally, I avoid all EIG hosts. They offer 'unlimited' features which I never think is right and don't have an overly good reputation and have slow support (generally).

I use reputable hosts for the services I need, that have good support when it's (rarely) needed.

It also depends which blacklist you get put on. I know from my ips getting blocked that some times the mail server gets blocked and some times the individual spammers ip gets blocked. Also some times the domain it self gets blocked. it depends which block list it is on.

Yep. There's one primary public one that a lot of places use called Spamhaus, and they actually maintain a number of different lists. Some of them are:

• lists of virus-infected machines
  • lists of home computers that shouldn't be sending email directly to the server
  • lists of IP addresses that are directly under control of the spammer
  • there are also IP addresses that they've sent spam from, that can be fixed/de-listed by ISP

There are also a number of lists controlled by the spam filtering companies and those tend to be private, in that you have to be a customer of that company in order to access that list.