HostGator Going Downhill

paradiseweb

OK, I was hoping the EIG buyout would not hurt my long term reseller host, but they are going downhill quick. Two email blacklists because of my IP, Google block due to another account on shared server, now 30 minute wait time since they charged me for a domain name that I transferred to another registrar. May be looking for another reseller account soon, hope it is not an insane pain to transfer. :crash:

OK, I was hoping the EIG buyout would not hurt my long term reseller host, but they are going downhill quick. Two email blacklists because of my IP, Google block due to another account on shared server, now 30 minute wait time since they charged me for a domain name that I transferred to another registrar. May be looking for another reseller account soon, hope it is not an insane pain to transfer. :crash:

you will see many forum posts and google complaints on all EIG brands.

hope it is not an insane pain to transfer. :crash:

If it helps - HostGator allows you to make cPanel backups if they're less than 4GB in size - same with reseller accounts. If it's bigger than that, you have to request one of their admins to make the backup for you.

We transfer clients from them all the time.. just a PITA to have to move hosts to begin with!

I do backups regularly with them now because one of my clients did not, screwed up their own account, and lost just about everything they had added since I designed their site (I keep backups of what I do for them, so we just had to jump back to square one).

I do backups regularly with them now because one of my clients did not, screwed up their own account, and lost just about everything they had added since I designed their site (I keep backups of what I do for them, so we just had to jump back to square one).

dont forget its not the hosts responsibility to backup a clients accounts, they should be doing this themselves.

We do daily/weekly and monthly backups using cpremote, but these are basically for our benefit. we do offer our clients for £2 a month an option to request copies of these backups if they wish and we will restore these for them. if they dont chose this option and request a copy of a backup then we charge a one time fee of £15. We also use the cpanel news option to have a note on all cpanels that the user must carry our regular backups

dont forget its not the hosts responsibility to backup a clients accounts, they should be doing this themselves.

Clients assume this is the hosting company's responsibility. Hosting Company assumes that this is the clients responsibility. Its a tough game. :devil:

Clients assume this is the hosting company's responsibility. Hosting Company assumes that this is the clients responsibility. Its a tough game. :devil:

A host should have it in their TOS that clients are responsible for their own backups. they should also remind clients, apart from us listing in our TOS and at the order stage and in every cpanel, we also state this on the welcome letter clients get.

I completely agree they need to backup their own sites, it is not host's responsibility. I was just talking about boo boo's that have happened on their site. The backup size limit is annoying too, have to request if site is over 4GB like handsonhosting said.

ARGH! I know backup is important, my client didn't, just pointing out there was a crash and HG did not have an emergency backup for them. Not main problem with them, should have left out of comment... geez... I feel like elementary student who keeps getting same "lesson".

How many hosts does EIG own any way? My google searches are not coming up with much info.

Well some info I guess. Here are the hosts I could find so far with google.

Fatcow, Powweb, iPowerWeb, IPOWER, dot5hosting, HostClear, Startlogic, Globat, Easycgi, Serverbeach, virtualave, Choopa, Webhost4life, Ipage, BizHostNet, bluehost, hostgator, asmallorange, justhost, homestead, and domain.com

2slick.com
AccountSupport
A Small Orange
ApolloHosting
Berry Information Systems L.L.C.
BizLand
BlueDomino
Bluehost[
Dollar2Host[
Domain.com[
DomainHost
Dot5Hosting
Dotster
easyCGI
eHost
EntryHost
FastDomain
FatCow

FreeYellow
Glob@t
Homestead
HostCentric
HostClear
HostGator
HostMonster
hostwithmenow.com
HostYourSite.com
HyperMart
IMOutdoors
Intuit Websites
iPage.com[
IPOWER/iPowerWeb
JustHost
MyDomain
MyResellerHome
NetFirms

Networks Web Hosting
Nexx[
PowWeb[
PureHost
ReadyHosting.com[
Saba-Pro
SEO Hosting
Southeast Web
Spry[6][11]
StartLogic
SuperGreen Hosting
USANetHosting
VirtualAvenue
VPSLink
WebHost4Life
Webstrike Solutions
Xeran

Wow that is a lot of companies. I think I had hosting with some of those. I still have a t-shirt from netfirms. I didn't actually use the hosting though. I just signed up to get the free t-shirt.

Thanks for the info I will remember to stay away from these hosts. :)

Geez, I didn't realize EIG owned that many of them. Money talks I guess.

As for the backups - most hosts do have in their TOS that they are not responsible for backups. Many of those hosts still have daily backups as a bonus to their clients.

Either way, if you're a customer of anything, always take responsibility into your own hands. Never rely on someone else.

I learned the hard way to always make my own back ups. Even if the host makes the back ups it is still a good idea to make your own.

I had a host that was making back ups but also went out of business and if I didn't have my own back up I would have had to start over.

2slick.com
AccountSupport
A Small Orange
ApolloHosting
Berry Information Systems L.L.C.
BizLand
BlueDomino
Bluehost[
Dollar2Host[
Domain.com[
DomainHost
Dot5Hosting
Dotster
easyCGI
eHost
EntryHost
FastDomain
FatCow

FreeYellow
Glob@t
Homestead
HostCentric
HostClear
HostGator
HostMonster
hostwithmenow.com
HostYourSite.com
HyperMart
IMOutdoors
Intuit Websites
iPage.com[
IPOWER/iPowerWeb
JustHost
MyDomain
MyResellerHome
NetFirms

Networks Web Hosting
Nexx[
PowWeb[
PureHost
ReadyHosting.com[
Saba-Pro
SEO Hosting
Southeast Web
Spry[6][11]
StartLogic
SuperGreen Hosting
USANetHosting
VirtualAvenue
VPSLink
WebHost4Life
Webstrike Solutions
Xeran

I though A Small Orange was still owned by Brent of HostGator and not included in their sale.