HostGator Going Downhill

I do think Hostgator was a better company under Brent, but I haven't seen a trend, at least in current reviews, that they're going downhill.

I do think Hostgator was a better company under Brent, but I haven't seen a trend, at least in current reviews, that they're going downhill.

The only main difference I have noticed is:

1. That "personal" feeling has gone (as Brent was always up for a chat / engage with clients)
  2. HostGator is growing to fast vs their hiring & training capabilities

Of course some improvements has been made under EIG such as domain management is now automated (previously they manually handled domains with no real automation in place) among other things.

I've never been that impressed with hostgator, I've had an account there for almost a year when it was starting to get really big and it just wasn't that nice. High server loads, not enough support, long waits for things to get done, etc. I really don't see much of a difference now from people I've talked to about it.

I totally agree. When a company founder leaves - its never a good thing. Personally once a company is aquired its all about profit and not the customers. You many want to look elsewhere.

Personally once a company is aquired its all about profit and not the customers.

May be you personal view, but not always the case.

We have taken over companies where we wont not see any money from them clients for many months.

We have also taken over clients from resellers who could not pay their hosting fees and we would terminate them, buts its not their clients fault their host could not pay their bills.

In our book, clients come first and profit second.

May be you personal view, but not always the case.

We have taken over companies where we wont not see any money from them clients for many months.

We have also taken over clients from resellers who could not pay their hosting fees and we would terminate them, buts its not their clients fault their host could not pay their bills.

In our book, clients come first and profit second.

Couldent agree anymore with you.

Hostgator get so many reviews, good and bad, but number of clients compared to the bad reviews is minimal, but there live support does suck if any of you have used it.

Couldent agree anymore with you.

Hostgator get so many reviews, good and bad, but number of clients compared to the bad reviews is minimal, but there live support does suck if any of you have used it.

I think their live chat sucks on an operator basis - you get some skilled and experienced techs and then you have those who just finished college and completed the training course and are in the field.

Eureka! Hooray! Someone suddenly found that overseers are... oversellers! It took some time. I hope that the solution isn't going with the next overseller only because it will take a few months before it start going downhill.

The only thing I'd say is "Leave. Go wit ha decent provider".

Eureka! Hooray! Someone suddenly found that overseers are... oversellers! It took some time. I hope that the solution isn't going with the next overseller only because it will take a few months before it start going downhill.

The only thing I'd say is "Leave. Go wit ha decent provider".

If you think unlimited is any different from the quotas you offer (75,000MB space & 999,999MB bandwidth at $9.99 per month) then you are on another planet.

When you subtract the persons (and competitors) with an anti-eig bias and consider the number of real complaints versus total customers, the negative posts are minimal

Its easy for a host to point fingers when all they have is a single server with a couple hundred sites. Let's see how these same "reviewers" do with tens of thousands of servers and a million sites.

Last edited:
They have only famous name. Look at other unknown hosts. Don't afraid. PayPal is secured and trusted payment method. So they will refund :)

This is my opinion but your choice.

They have only famous name. Look at other unknown hosts. Don't afraid. PayPal is secured and trusted payment method. So they will refund :)

This is my opinion but your choice.

They are a very well known brand, that is what having millions in the bank for marketing can do for you :).

Brent took this company great places, I kept off the EIG bandwagon for a while but now I have to say that EIG datacenter move has damaged this company by a fair bit. That being said I can see improvements in getting the issues resolved asap.

This is by far EIG largest acquision (Second would be BlueHost at 50% of its current size today) so of course it would have been a struggle, but I;m sure they'll pull through, learn from mistakes for future acquisions etc...

I wonder, does this have an effect on the premium hosting brand ASmallOrange (Owned by EIG, formerly Brent from HostGator).

Hi,

I've experienced multiple downtime and resource limit reach with hostgator

Eh resource limits, I'd be interested in hearing if since EIGs buyout, has the resource limits changed? So... How long ago was you having issues? Where do you host now and what was you primarily hosting in your package causing resource issues?

Our resource limits are generous and essentially 99.95% of our client base is more than satisfied (never run into any issues with resource limitations), though we do get that 0.05% that simply have sites that have outgrown the shared environment, not just with our hosting but really any.

Last edited:
I agree i used them for a while and i was getting ddosed they put a firewall in place and still my site was down all the time its so frustrating aswell my members wondering what is happening with my site as its down 100% of the time, i just cancelled my package.

OK, I was hoping the EIG buyout would not hurt my long term reseller host, but they are going downhill quick. Two email blacklists because of my IP, Google block due to another account on shared server, now 30 minute wait time since they charged me for a domain name that I transferred to another registrar. May be looking for another reseller account soon, hope it is not an insane pain to transfer. :crash:

I have not had the same problems with HostGator. In fact, I would rate the support I got on the ticket I submitted yesterday as excellent. The tech not only fixed a problem (in about 2 hours) that I had been working on for 3 days, but took the time to explain how to spot and fix it if it occurred again. I wrote it up on my vanity blog.

I have been on the inside of an "acquired company" so I do realize that the EIG acquisition is probably not good news long-term, but I have not seen any problems yet.

I have not had the same problems with HostGator. In fact, I would rate the support I got on the ticket I submitted yesterday as excellent. The tech not only fixed a problem (in about 2 hours) that I had been working on for 3 days, but took the time to explain how to spot and fix it if it occurred again. I wrote it up on my vanity blog.

I have been on the inside of an "acquired company" so I do realize that the EIG acquisition is probably not good news long-term, but I have not seen any problems yet.

Is your site(s) still located in Dallas or have you been moved to Provo Utah? Most of the people saying there's no problems are still in Dallas.