Free Resellers?

I can understand free hosting, but free reseller? If you plan on making $$$ you should at lease pay a little.

tarsick said:
I'm a newbie here and I don't know much about being a free reseller. I'm not sure but it seems to me it's a venture. One must be a highly experienced person in this area. Could anybody clear it up for me (I mean all advantages and disadvatages)?
Thanks in advance

Advantages:
- There would be little or no costs on your part, so breakeven would proberly happen very quickly if you have the customers. (-tax though :disagree: )
- Could be a good way to get an idea of becoming a full blown reseller and what it will need out of you.

Cons:
- Guessing but there would proberly be a lot of restrctions with only small limits on web space and number of domains you can host.
- Chances are custom branding is very limited, and there maybe forced ads or something similar.
- The control panel (if they actually have one) would proberly be something real cheep, but you never know.
- You are not assured that your site will be on 24/7 and if there small if they go down they pull you down as well.

Hope this helps, most of it is just a bit of common sense, Just read the terms and conditions and all that.

I've been looking for a free reseller account too for sometime before putting up my own web hosting service. But they basically work as a sort-of an affiliate program where you hand them clients. I actually discovered an OK hosting company who offers a reseller account with an extra free sub-seller account, which I think is a better business model compared to a free reseller account.

I don't think I have ever seen a free reseller because it use's to much resources plus it allows you to make money without paying anything. But I seen some that offer free if you give them a percent.

Nothing comes for free. Soeone still has to foot the bills and anyone footing the bills for you to enjoy and make money would expect atleast base returns if not profits. So, most such free resellers if so, are based on fact that if you can generate enough revenue for them through advertising, you can have free reseller. Such hosts using free resellers can get washed away any time advertising revenues fall or parent co. feels otherwise.

Many offer private label reselling programme where they say it is a free reseller but then they put your domain and business to risk, because they act as your company and provide support to clients. Also, you keep profits but price slabs they give you is something which is difficult to get many clients.

Few may have it to fill up server but they rather control clients records, so any time they can knock you off and have control over clients, something that client may not realize since their sites don't get affected.

So, there is nothing like free lunch.

Gil857 said:
Davinci, how is resellerspanel working for you? In a sense, it almost seems like an affiliate plan, except that you have control of the packages and prices. The low maintenace of it is appealing, because they take care of support and billing, correct?

I'm looking to get started in reselling, and as my time is limited at the moment, this might be a good place to start. Can you tell a little more about your experience with them?

The main problem is that everyone tends to use the same template. You are able to customize the header and footer, but if you don't have a unique design you come off looking like all the other resellers. That being said, you can use your own designs, but I don't have the expertise for that ATM.

I have had several customers sign up and then quit within the 30 days. It's frustrating but then what can you do? There is a limit on how low you can put your prices. Although, you now can create custom plans for individual customers, which is a good feature.

It is very low maintenance. Yes, they handle all of the billing and support, which is 24/7 with a 1 hour response time guarantee. All you have to do is promote it and sell your packages and your profit adds up. Once you reach a certain amount ($50, I think), they send you a check. You also make money by signing up other resellers under you. You make a percentage of what they sell. I have had better success signing up affiliates rather than customers.

LOL @ the above reply.

As for resellerspanel.com they are excellent and from what my clients are telling me they prefer their custom made control panel to the ever popular cPanel.

The best thingis you have nothing to lose by trying and you dont need a domain name to get operating (although it's a good option), site is all up and ready to go in minutes.

Client signs up and they look after everything else from there from billing to support and you get your slice. You can set your prices a packages for everything except extra mysql databases from memory (only adjusted them once).

but it is totally free to get set up and making cash, worst case would be you have lost some time.

Only draw back is they only supply two templates for you to use and customization is limited.

And yeah as said earlier, a good starting poiin if you want to get started and not lose anything up front, wouldn't be a long term thing.

Last edited:
A free reseller is more rare than Big Foot.
Why?

Why would a company say "Im going to give you a reseller account so you can make money by potential customers...and i wont charge you a penny!"

However, I (and many others) offer Affiliate programs which would allow you to sell hosting via a company (me), they pay me...i pay you. Doesnt cost you a penny (other than the hosting)

(and yes..i know this thread is old)

Gixxer if I could thank you for that post I really would. I do not get it either as I read the title and went in my mind 'huh', really now who is willing to give something away for FREE. Anything worth a value that is.

Can't really see the point of a free reseller account. For one you are running a business on a reseller account and when things go wrong (and they will) you have to rely on free support and a company who really doesn't care if you leave? Not much of a contract or incentive to live up to SLA. You do get what you pay for and in this instance you'll probably lose money and customers. All in all a poor business decision.