Kids Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be true here either ;) yeah I'm only 18, currently trying to work around with my existing work schedule(I'm working as IT helpdesk in university), and I manage to cover all my existing support :)

Young Hosters....

i can understand why some people don't like young hosters for example before i decided to do my own hosting business, i brought some web hosting not a reseller package just plain simple hosting from a company called reaperhost.com.

i must have been with this company for no more than a week, and so i decided to go and check my online forum from work and post some reply's to posts and when i went to my site "This account has been suspended" and so i went to reaperhost.com to send a ticket and you know what the same at their end "This account has been suspended".

and so i done my research and found their number i rang the number as i wanted to get my money back "30 Day money back if not satisfied" and a lady answerd it and i said hello is this reaperhost and she said no :rolleyes2 so by now i was a little confused, and then she said i shall get him for you

so in the back i hear her shout max. so i waited for this max to come to the phone and he said hello, and i said hello and said what has happend about reaperhost.com and he goes nothing. "ok" i said thinking to myself something is wrong, anyway i get to the point to asking for my money back

the phone goes dead, "hello" i say no answer just the dial tone. by now i have come to the conclusion that he hung up on me

so even till this day reaperhost is no more and i have not go my money back. this is why i am a bit nervous of being hosted by a kid and as said by someone else what happens if they get broad with web hosting or have no income. the client suffers!!!

any way im going to shut up now!! :rolleyes:

p.s.

i have respect for those who care!

I think everyone who posted here pretty much made all the points that were needed to be made. It's not that hard and there shouldn't really be even a debate about it.

Majority of the kids today are immature in the business aspect. They get a wild hair up their ass and think they can do it. Then they want to go play some video games and blow off a customer or what not. Thats not good business ethics.

Same thing can be said about a 30 year old person (male or female). Wants to go to the bar with some friends, get drunk, etc... all the while their server goes down, and bam, their customers are screwed.

Its not necessarily about the age, although it is more common in 'young adults' rather than 'old adults'. If you are serious about it, and you have your head in the right place, anyone can do it, 13 to 65.

Someone said its all about your dedication and maturity level, and I am with them 110%. Once again, age will not necessarily play a role here.

And I am only 11. :party:

kidding. ;)

Well...

Let truth be known, I am 13, and own a very successful hosting company; American-Hoster.com

I have, now, over 100 clients that are all happy with their services and support; and I run a one man operation :rolleyes2! I started out on a HostDime server paying $160 a month, got my first few customers to handle the bill then moved them to an InterServer, Inc. server; which are faster, cheaper, and better. Now I pay $300 a month for 2 servers ($150 each) and now make about $1500-$2000 (averaged) profit. American-Hoster.com is my newest site, I used to own Inferno-Host but felt it was a retarded name so I closed it.

Still have the same opinion about, literally, kid hosts? :)
---------------
I also have a gaming server for Battlefield 2, which I have on my home, dedicated T3 connection :thankyou:

13 Years old and making $1500-$2000 impressive :)

I have no problem with Kids Hosting, as long as they know what they are doing, as long as they are dedicated and actually want to do this and not to scam or trying and make some pocket money.

Thanks...

Thanks for your complement. All I want to do is make a difference in the hosting world; to teach the over priced idiots (I will call them idiots for the time being) how hosting is done. Thats why I give extended support so that customers stay. To this day, I haven't lost a single customer :). That was and still is the hardest part today; on top of school and all. I am currently making all A's, for anyone wondering.

as long as they know what they are doing

Yes - I know what I am doing.

I just finished making my own 729 file firewall for my server. Which I have installed and works fine. It logs all cpanel logins with the attempted password and when an invalid password is entered it e-mails the client with the attempters attempted-password and the attempter's IP. I also have it set to reboot the server dead at midnight (TIME ZONE: GMT -5) to clear the RAM and let high processor-using programs restart to a normal, smaller amout of processor usage. It also will lock every port except those that are specifically set to be allowed, such as 80, 2082, 2083, 2086, 2087, etc., etc. Any other port will be denied until I get the e-mail about it and telling me how to allow it IF I want to. It also will log, but not deny, suspicious DoS attacks and IF an IP gets added to the list 50 times, it gets banned for 30 minutes. If it happens again they get banned for 30 days (Those can be disabled and changed.) It also logs what programs are using what ports and when; making trojans and other viri easier to detect when running so I can put a stop to them. It also fixes the service start up on servers that do not start the process as they should; like mine for instance: it loads them all up after the server has been on for 15 minutes or so. I have fixed that problem for cPanel/WHM servers. I also made a WHM addon to controll the firewall, add coding to the firewall, etc., etc.

The name for it is unknown as I am still finding bugs in it and in cPanel to add to it to fix. It fixes about 500 cPanel/WHM bugs; like when transferring a large site (over 6 GB) from another server, it dosent modify the httpd.conf file. Leading to the account not showing up in user list and the users domain showing the cPanel page reading "There is no website configured at this address.". As well as many other bugs.

And yeah, I'm still only 13...

I will post back on this forum soon with how to install my firewall/custom-cpanel-fix. :thumbsup:

AmericanHoster said:
to teach the over priced idiots (I will call them idiots for the time being) how hosting is done.
What is wrong with over priced hosting solutions? And why call them idiots? Just because they charge more than the industry average, doesn't make them that. Most of them are actually earning enough to provide good service. :rolleyes2

Artashes said:
What is wrong with over priced hosting solutions? And why call them idiots? Just because they charge more than the industry average, doesn't make them that. Most of them are actually earning enough to provide good service. :rolleyes2

Well, see; they trick people who dont know much about hosting and/or normal hosting prices into buying over-priced hosting. To me, they are considered selfish; if they dont dedicate the time to looking for themself a great server at a great price then they are considered - to me - an idiot. Alot of people share this aspect; you should too:rolleyes2. That just shows how lazy they must be if they wont look for a great server at a great price. I call them idiots because I want their foolishness to stop and it is stupid to continue charing prices. I saw one day, I wont name, a host that had 500 MB storage and 10 GB bandwidth for $29.99 a month! No matter what I woulden't buy that if my life depended on it! Thats the kind of people I call idiots. I see some that are a doller or so high but that is NOT what I consider an idiot. Dont get me wrong... :thumbsup:

AmericanHoster said:
Well, see; they trick people who dont know much about hosting and/or normal hosting prices into buying over-priced hosting. To me, they are considered selfish; if they dont dedicate the time to looking for themself a great server at a great price then they are considered - to me - an idiot. Alot of people share this aspect; you should too:rolleyes2. That just shows how lazy they must be if they wont look for a great server at a great price. I call them idiots because I want their foolishness to stop and it is stupid to continue charing prices. I saw one day, I wont name, a host that had 500 MB storage and 10 GB bandwidth for $29.99 a month! No matter what I woulden't buy that if my life depended on it! Thats the kind of people I call idiots. I see some that are a doller or so high but that is NOT what I consider an idiot. Dont get me wrong... :thumbsup:

I think what you may mean is that a lot of cheap teens share this aspect :D. The only reason you see prices as low as they are today is because of *sigh* I hate to say their name because frankly I think they provide a horrible network...is because of companies like cogent...*feels dirty*. Because of their dirty and ill equipped network people now thing you can get insane bandwidth for a cheap price. What they fail to realize is how ill the internet as a whole is because people can now push more bandwidth for their trojans, DDoS, IRC, etc through the network. Before cogent and cheap resellers you saw prices such as this before so why would you call a company or a person an idiot because they are simply relying on the old model which guarentees that they will/should without a doubt provide excellent service and support while making a profit?

Businesses will definetly pay the extra money to go with with services that have been proven reliable and better than a cheap way to go. Personally I see that you are not looking at what that host might actually be catering to (businesses).

AmericanHoster said:
Well, see; they trick people who dont know much about hosting and/or normal hosting prices into buying over-priced hosting. To me, they are considered selfish; if they dont dedicate the time to looking for themself a great server at a great price then they are considered - to me - an idiot. Alot of people share this aspect; you should too
I should too?

Unfortunately, I do not share the same view. In fact this has nothing to do with someone being selfish. Some people choose to charge $5 for 10 GB, some choose to charge $25 for 10 GB. If it works for them, then who is to criticize? I say good for them. They are in business of making money, as you are. Would you call managers of a supermarket in an elite residential area idiots because they charge more for same grocery items than a store in a poor residential area? That just shows how lacking your knowledge of economics is.
AmericanHoster said:
I call them idiots because I want their foolishness to stop and it is stupid to continue charing prices.
To everyone who charges higher prices for web hosting solutions, know that AmericanHoster thinks you are idiots. Good one. :thumbsup:
AmericanHoster said:
Dont get me wrong...
Jeez, how could I? :)

Well...

My servers, of their running time, have had 100% uptime, as I have used a free monitering website that tested it. Bandwidth isin't that expensive and they shoulden't charge high prices for it. I am just sharing my opinion, as a forum is intended for... My opionion is that they are idiots, not the ones that have slightly high prices, but the ones that charge $25+ for what its valued at about $1 (Or what I would charge if they asked for that; I charge $0.92 USD per GB of storage and $0.12 per GB of bandwidth). If you don't see it the same way, you must not have grown up having to walk to the local store. Until I was 7, my family didn't have a car. As embarrasing as it is, it happens; some of the worlds greatest people were poor. Though, things have changed now. We now own 13 cars, and don't usually have to freat about bills. Also, I just visited a chat room on YIM, and only 2 people of the 38 in there opposed to my opinion of them being idiots. Therefore, Senad, obviously, other people besids "kids" share this aspect.

Last edited:
Wow. Great way of polling, a bunch of random people who know little to nothing of anything involved in the industry. What if another company called you an idiot for the prices you charge? I charge (per standard prices on the site) $0.001250 per MB of storage and $0.111111 per GB of transfer, not bandwidth - as the two are different and if you know so much you'd know how to use the proper terms. You'd also know that 1,000MB does NOT equal 1GB and would not have it written this way on your site. You, sir, are stiffing people out of their money. So therefore you are a thief and a liar. Way to do business.

Last edited:
1 GB is 1024 MB, I am not a n00b in this. I have done it for quite some time and yes, my prices are considered great from all I have compared them to. I know my terms, just dont make false assumptions about what people say.

:thankyou: and have a nice day...

P.S.
I have better things to do with my time than read about someone TRYING to correct me when you are going to ultimately make yourself look like a fool.
I will not read another post from this thread nor will I write here again.

*tries to pinch myself so I can wake up*

OK, let's try one more time.

AmericanHoster said:
I am just sharing my opinion, as a forum is intended for... My opionion is that they are idiots, not the ones that have slightly high prices, but the ones that charge $25+ for what its valued at about $1 (Or what I would charge if they asked for that; I charge $0.92 USD per GB of storage and $0.12 per GB of bandwidth).
I am not in the business of telling people how much they should charge for their services, but calling them idiots is not professional. You are making a very bold statement. As everyone takes responsibility for what they say, just wonder for a second how it reflects back on your company's image.
AmericanHoster said:
If you don't see it the same way, you must not have grown up having to walk to the local store. Until I was 7, my family didn't have a car. As embarrasing as it is, it happens; some of the worlds greatest people were poor. Though, things have changed now. We now own 13 cars, and don't usually have to freat about bills.
How is that relevant to the discussion?
AmericanHoster said:
Also, I just visited a chat room on YIM, and only 2 people of the 38 in there opposed to my opinion of them being idiots. Therefore, Senad, obviously, other people besids "kids" share this aspect.
Doesn't mean they were not all kids, does it?

Sorry to hear that you took such a negative approach to my post. I never called you a "n00b" and I didn't make any false assumptions, where did I make a false assumption? On your site - under webhosting you state: 5GB, but under the order form you state: 5,000MB. They are different.

Here's a basic lesson in economics for you along with some words of advice. Please don't be defensive, just accept what I am telling you, and what Art, John, and Senad have said.

Having the lowest price will do nothing for you. When you have a family, and you have to put food on your table, $2000/month just won't cut it. You don't have to pay for your house, you don't have to pay for your car, car insurance, gas, utilities, clothing, etc. Your only expense is the cost of the servers (as far as i know). Life doesn't work that way. You need to be able to make a living that will allow for you to provide for yourself in the future - which is why pricing isn't always rock bottom. You have to decide on a target market, not just anybody who has a website. You need to research what these people are willing to pay and find the equilibrium between supply and demand. For instance, if you have a candy bar and it costs you 25 cents. Why sell it for 26 cents when people will buy it for a dollar? This relates directly to Art's example with the grocery store in a more wealthy area. If they are willing to pay that price, why not profit from it? Im a market economy, which is what this is, price is not the only factor in a consumers choice in a product. They judge what they get for the product, the quality of the product and so on. The beauty of such an economic system is that there are no set controls on pricing, which gives companies the freedom to price according to their target market. There's a reason why companies charge what they do, and they stay in business because they have it backed up with research. And research that researched the research.

You need to get a business model. With what you have said so far, you seem much better suited to work for a hosting company instead of running one. You seem to be very technically savy, which is a major plus. You could develop that interest and talent into a less risky career that would allow you more free and study time. Why waste away your teen years running a hosting business?

One thing should be clear, for a 13 year old, you do write better and know more than quite a few adults I've met on various boards. :)
I also have it set to reboot the server dead at midnight (TIME ZONE: GMT -5) to clear the RAM and let high processor-using programs restart to a normal, smaller amout of processor usage.
I understand your reasoning behind this, but I still think it's a wrong decision to reboot the server daily.
Why waste away your teen years running a hosting business?
Well said Jordan. Nothing can turn back the time, the joys of childhood and the happy times of the teen years.

Jordan has indeed made a terrific post, which I really enjoyed reading! Just a very good lesson and smart advice.

Dan, I missed the part with the server being rebooted daily. But won't it mean that it is not 100% uptime as claimed?

Art,
You are correct, good catch - he said it in post #47:
I also have it set to reboot the server dead at midnight (TIME ZONE: GMT -5) to clear the RAM and let high processor-using programs restart to a normal

Status
Not open for further replies.