Kids Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not how old someone is, it's how mature they act.

You could have a 13 yr old webhost who you may think is an adult, or you could have a 30yr old acting like a 13 year old...13yr olds probably have a bad name...I'd of thought there are some good ones out there....somewhere :)

Right you are, there are good and bad types of people everywhere you go, the beauty of the world and individual differentiation :)

I don't think kids should host for many reasons. Example below;

11:00am - My site's been hacked and someone is sucking my bandwidth.
11:05am - Try's to contact host :::: NO REPLY ::::
01:00pm - No reply, by this time, I have no site, all files have been deleted by the hackers & my bandwidth has been sucked
03:00pm - Host comes back from a nice day at school

See If my host was here at the time he could of stopped this from happing, but no because he is only a kid he's in school learning his maths & english.

Also kids change their minds quickley, this week you could like hosting & next week something like Fireworks...

So then you stop hosting and your customers are stuck :thumbup:

Last edited:
Also kids change their minds quickley, this week you could like hosting & next week something like Fireworks...

Don't you think that's a little judgemental? Thats like saying all adults are smart. We all know there are some dumb adults out there. I think there are some kids out there that might do that, but all won't. I know I wont.

Started ExonNet at the age of 18, all the legal requirements met, I have my own personal tax/legal consultant and I operate the business out of my home (not the servers - of course). I will be 20 tomorrow for whatever credit that may or may not give me.

The business is paying for itself but nothing I care to retire on...yet.

Exon said:
Started ExonNet at the age of 18, all the legal requirements met, I have my own personal tax/legal consultant and I operate the business out of my home (not the servers - of course). I will be 20 tomorrow for whatever credit that may or may not give me.

The business is paying for itself but nothing I care to retire on...yet.

Happy Birthday :dance: :dance:

dubs said:
Don't you think that's a little judgemental? Thats like saying all adults are smart. We all know there are some dumb adults out there. I think there are some kids out there that might do that, but all won't. I know I wont.

No I don't :cool:

I'm not saying I think only adults are smart, because we are not, no one is perfect not even the queen and tony blair. :)

I'm just saying must kids go throw stages of wanting to do different things. Kids just want to experince with stuff.
and anyway 13 is a very young age to start a business and sell to the general public, :thumbdown

lol, I see what you guys are talking about. Like GAMERGANG said, young men... not kids. When you said KIDS I thought you mean like a kiddie xanga type of thing :p

Kids and hosting is always an interesting topic and now having been on both sides of the spectrum I'd like to offer up my input.

The majority - I'd say 97%-98% of kids - should not be hosting. I'm not saying this because I want to toot my own horn a little later but this is from true experience. There are kids out there who can run a business properly - some better than many adults. There is also a majority of kids out there who aren't capable of running a business. Unfortunately for the hosting industry, a reputation for "getting rich quick" has been established because of the success stories and overall perception of hosting. This is compounded by a lack of capital needed to start up - you can purchase reseller accounts for next to nothing these days.

I think you'll all agree with me that hosting is quite the opposite of easy - it's very demanding. You can spend countless hours trying to rectify problems and explain situations to clients. You need proper software and the knowledge to use that software so you don't leave your clients in the dark. You need proper protection from the legal end - including being old enough to legally enter into a contract or having someone to sign for you.

In light of all of that, I'd consider myself a sucess story. I had my own company until I merged with another. I kept a lot of clients and many of them moved with me when I left my job following troubles with the company formed of the merger. One of the crowning moments came on a board where I read in a post that a member envisioned me as a 30-year-old businessman in a suit. I've known others and read about others around the same age who did the same - so it's possible for teens to host.

One of the crowning moments came on a board where I read in a post that a member envisioned me as a 30-year-old businessman in a suit.
Rather close to the way I envisioned you till seconds ago. I just didn't see the suit. :)

One thing that stumps me is why are so many teenagers interested in starting a hosting biz? Sure when I was a teen I was very interested in computers, but more or so programming then hosting (Back when 50mbs space and 100mbs bandwidth cost $30/month :D ).

These are all good arguments and i myself do not have a problem with young adults under the age of 18 having a hosting business. As long as they provide good service and satisfy their customers than theres no problem. Although i do see that there is a problem when it comes to them going to school. They have other priorities to attend to and may not be able to respond to their customers. Also when it comes to legal matters it would be better for them to be licensed and be able to sign legal agreements. But if the hoster is serious and dedicated and not just looking to have a business b/c its fun or "cool" in their words then they may be a good provider. There are a number of young adults under the age of 18 that are more intelligent than anyone over the age of 25. All i have to say is if you are 18 or under and is making it in the hosting industry than good for you!!!

Ok firstly ill spill it, im only 15 about to turn 16, i do have my own hosting company and yes it is a bloody hard job to fit in around school/college. One problem i have come across is the legal contracts and legislation types. To overcome these i had to get my parents involved and use them as my co - signatures.

At first i made many mistakes, overselling, underselling but now ive got my act together and learnt from my mistakes which is how we develop our mind. I have quite a few clients and i havent recieved one complaint or support issue other than, wots your name?

Overall i feel that TEENS should be able to start their own business because it gives them something to do and gives them an experience but they have to be careful that its the right experience and not doing it for the money!

Well thats my piece

What college do you have at age 15?
Have you ever had a job working retail? Say, at the local grocery store? I would highly suggest something like that. Gives you major experience in dealing with jerks, nice little old ladies, and everyone between. Will help you toms when it comes to customer support/management.

ExileHosting said:
Ok firstly ill spill it, im only 15 about to turn 16, i do have my own hosting company and yes it is a bloody hard job to fit in around school/college. One problem i have come across is the legal contracts and legislation types. To overcome these i had to get my parents involved and use them as my co - signatures.

At first i made many mistakes, overselling, underselling but now ive got my act together and learnt from my mistakes which is how we develop our mind. I have quite a few clients and i havent recieved one complaint or support issue other than, wots your name?

Overall i feel that TEENS should be able to start their own business because it gives them something to do and gives them an experience but they have to be careful that its the right experience and not doing it for the money!

Well thats my piece

What college do you have at age 15?

I am currently studying BTEC first diploma in sport and also Business studies, we have a wide range of choices due to attending a grammar school

Have you ever had a job working retail? Say, at the local grocery store? I would highly suggest something like that.Have you ever had a job working retail? Say, at the local grocery store? I would highly suggest something like that.

I have already done that, got kind of used to it and felt id develop on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.