What payment options do you offer?

Silk

Our host allows PayPal, Google Checkout, and check or money order. The PayPal automatic subscription is very nice. No need to remember to pay that way, it just does it automatically!

We rarely accept check (people don't normally send checks any more these days) - but PayPal and Visa/MasterCard are vital to our business. More than 80% pay using a credit card directly with our merchant account. The remaining 19.9% pay with PayPal (or a credit card through PayPal).

If there's a dozen clients that use checks in our system, I'd be shocked at that high of a number!

Major credit cards (Cisa, Mastercard and Discover) here but we get a little mix with Google Checkout and Paypal (the latter tends to be the bigger preference of the two). We have two clients who pay via check and they are long time ones so to us it is fine. I don't know many that use a check anymore, I think my mother-in-law did when she purchased her new vehicle and the last I wrote was for a school trip for my daughter. Checks are pretty much a slow dying out thing of the past.

Checks are pretty much a slow dying out thing of the past.

cheques/checks are almost gone now all in favour of Plastic cards. In the UK most retailers wont accept cheques anymore. The only cheques i tend to write now are for my summer shows/country shows i trade at, even when i had to pay my taxes i had to send cheques, now its all done online.

PayPal
Merchant account for CC
Google

I have one that is going to start mailing cheques/checks. Very specific situation.

I don't accept checks simply because it is so out of the realm of what I do. It would be like taking a car to work 10 miles away, but for the last mile you ride a bike. It will get you there, but it's just so different from what you're used to anymore, it just feels.......... I don't know, weird somehow.

I used to accept cheques from local clients only as i was able to collect these personally until 2 years ago, i had a client whos cheques would always bounce every other month, so it was another trip to them to get the cash + charges my bank placed on my account, which they always paid. Then after i banked a months cheques and i got a call from my bank manager as he wanted to see me. It had come to a point the bank had noticed the large amounts of bounced cheques going through my account that they gave me 28 days to find alternative banking. I was that annoyed with the client that i took along my laptop with the bounced cheque to get the cash. I asked the client if he had backups of his site, when he said yes i said good because watch, i turned on the laptop went to the clients account and hit terminate and told the client their goes your account and your site.

even if he did not have backups i was going to let him watch me terminate his account, so after that i stopped accepting cheques.

Last edited:
I can not wait for the day that I never have to deal with a check again, professionally or personally. When my kid needs one for a school trip I break out the check book, the last time I did this I had to actually write a check for $1.10, who cares cash anymore?

The only checks we accept (other than one long time client who is a few states away) are always local, and they also are kind to send the check ahead of time so when the payment is actually due, it is here by that date. I love great clients!

when we accepted cheques, as these were local, we made all the clients that paid by cheque due on the same day of the month and then we collected these 8 days before that due date, so this gave the processing time and we had the money before their due date

when we accepted cheques, as these were local, we made all the clients that paid by cheque due on the same day of the month and then we collected these 8 days before that due date, so this gave the processing time and we had the money before their due date

You no longer accept checks for those clients you had? Why did you stop accepting them if your local clients choose to pay that way?

We actually have about ten or so that still use checks. We have not yet run into any problems with bouncing (but, too, they are business clients, so I think it is less likely their checks would bounce).

We actually have about ten or so that still use checks. We have not yet run into any problems with bouncing (but, too, they are business clients, so I think it is less likely their checks would bounce).

It was a business client that caused all our problems. 3 months after we got rid of them as clients, their business as far a i know also folded as they were evicted from business premises. for the same thing.

what was strange, they could pay in cash, but cheques bounced, this was the same with their landlord, he would get cash from them after bounced cheques

Paypal and Credit Card (One time & Recurring through Stripe), covers what most people need. Not had a request for alternative till date.

My host accept credit cards (via 2Checkout payment system) and PayPal. As an alternative method we can provide customer with our bank account details, so that they could make a wire transfer

Right now we are only accepting PayPal and credit cards. We are looking into expanding to Payza and possibly Bitcoins too in the future. Bitcoin is indeed becoming more popular but there is always a risk with it and other digital currencies such as Litecoin. The prices may vary greatly and in case the coins are losing their value it's all out from your pocket.