What are some things that absolutely need to be in your KB?

MarkPoppen

I believe every web hosting company should have a knowledge base or support center of some sort. I've been working on our KB for a while and it's slowly growing with, hopefully, helpful information.

What do you think are questions that absolutely need to be answered in a knowledge base?

cPanel/WHM Manuals

how you work your billing schedule

a good list of how to change DNS/Namservers etc. at various registrars

I don't prefer to have a KB at the moment as we're small, very small. I guess, KB is good when you have a lot of members and you don't prefer to get bugged much.

A good list of articles in the KB would include:
1. Setting NS and DNS
2. Using of Billing softwares (if you offer reseller)
3. Basics of the control panel

I don't prefer to have a KB at the moment as we're small, very small. I guess, KB is good when you have a lot of members and you don't prefer to get bugged much.

That is not necessarily true, I think any host start up would benefit from a well structured and extensive KB even when they don't have that many clients. You can actually use it as a very helpful marketing weapon and it will set you apart from the abundance of hosts that either haven't bothered making one or have one just for the purpose of having it, left abandoned with just a few articles.

I am a big fan of the moto that when you start something you better do it good. So if you really want to have a KB I suggest you fill it with unique content and a lot of it. You could do sales and billing common questions (pricing policies, refund policies), site/mail problems and common fixes (site/mail down, problems sending/receiving, error 404/500 etc), application helpers (depending on what you offer - basic wordpress/joomla/drupal articles), definitely cPanel guides, domain registration/transfer helpers and so on and so on. The more experience you gain from client questions/issues - the more information you have for the KB. :rolleyes2

Simple and complex articles of how to's and just any type of guides are good . These days you have many different people looking to purchase hosting related services.

There are people who know a lot and some who don't know anything related to hosting.

Things like how to set up domain name servers , sub domain creation, even stuff on how to make email accounts and log into them.

Think outside the box here the more you include in your kb the less support tickets you may receive and the less work for you and your team.

Must include Name Server setup, Mail, Basic ideas of cPanel/WHM and how to use it like reset password...etc.
Better to include as much as more information about Hosting and its tools.

Any question you've had someone open a ticket for more than once! :D

Having an extensive and informative KB can save your business countless hours and money in support costs. Every web host should definitely invest their time working on building a good KB for their customers and potential customers as well. :thumbup:

Must include Name Server setup, Mail, Basic ideas of cPanel/WHM and how to use it like reset password...etc.
Better to include as much as more information about Hosting and its tools.

Great points! I can't believe I forgot to add articles about that!

Thanks.

Any question you've had someone open a ticket for more than once! :D

This is exactly what I've been doing so far! Just need to find questions that people are not asking us.

The most important articles that your KB should have is about to how to use the tools that you are offering with your web hosting plans. for example, articles related to control panel, file manager, ftp and email accounts is a must in your KB.

What about using tutorial videos, either demowolf type or creating your own on a youtube channel. I've seen this done with some hosts.

What about using tutorial videos, either demowolf type or creating your own on a youtube channel. I've seen this done with some hosts.

Absolutely, that's just another idea to give more support and helpful resources to your clients. The DemoWolf tutorials are mostly cool and comprehensible and if you have a better idea on how to give information through videos that can make a great YouTube channel and another marketing method to popularize your brand. :rolleyes2

We try to take note of what our clients have been submitting support tickets about and make sure that the topics are included in our knowledge base.

I personally believe topics that are related to the services you sell or whatever server packages you have sold to your customers. So basically, if they come across any issues they can refer to the KB alone instead of raising the question through the support.

You need to add the posts related with the below things:

cPanel/WHM Manuals
Application Installation Steps
Security Updates
Precautions for Hacking Issues
Billing Related issues
Email Client Related issues etc

Fill your KB with as much as you can. It will reduce alot of load on your support staff, allowing some customers to help themselves. The more your support staff reference that KB in their replies - the more it will train customers to seek out the answers too. :)

Just my two cents...

Knowledge Base should contain
* Steps to install control panels, steps to unable modules like TUN/TAP, PPP and etc.
* Billing Queries and solutions
* Sales details, latest discounts
* service Queries and solutions
* announcements about latest hosting features
* Description about techniques they use to overcome any problem occur in hosting services.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hostys