Uptime Guarantee - Good or Bad Idea?

An uptime guarantee is good. If you don't live up to the guarantee, you should give you customers something for the inconvenience.

An uptime guarantee is good. If you don't live up to the guarantee, you should give you customers something for the inconvenience.

That is a given since you will most likely compensate for the downtime experienced.

From a sales perspective this is an excellent idea however one shouldn't offer such unless they have the ability/resources to truly provide it. Many hosts offer this without considering the implications of it.

An uptime guarantee is not just an idea to promote the sales but it proves the reliability of your customer service.

How can an uptime guarantee relect your customer service?

uptime is the recordable online/offline status of your server/IP etc. it does not record how reliable your customer service is.

your servers could have an uptime of 100% but your customer service skills could be 0

your servers could have a shocking uptime of an average 80% but your customer service skills could be 100%

so once again an uptime guarantee has NOTHING to do with Customer Service

Over the past few months, I have had numerous discussions with webhost resellers about the issue of "Uptime Guarantee or Commitment". From an end user perspective e.g. website client, I can definitely understand why you would want some type of uptime guarantee; however, if you are the webhost reseller with just a reseller account and do not your own or control the server, how can you honor the uptime guarantee?

I'm very curious to hear other people thoughts and comments on this simple but very explosive issue.

Work with a good web host which can offer you web hosting with multiple network lines infrastructure as backbone of the datacenter, as well as you can also make sure to mention clarifications of network uptime exclusions to ensure that your customers are not been mis-guided with your promised uptime.

Over the past few months, I have had numerous discussions with webhost resellers about the issue of "Uptime Guarantee or Commitment". From an end user perspective e.g. website client, I can definitely understand why you would want some type of uptime guarantee; however, if you are the webhost reseller with just a reseller account and do not your own or control the server, how can you honor the uptime guarantee?

I'm very curious to hear other people thoughts and comments on this simple but very explosive issue.

An uptime guarantee shows to your customers the confidence you have in the services you're providing. However, with every bad fly-by-night host offering an uptime guarantee and not honouring it, it's diluted the effects a lot.

An uptime guarantee shows to your customers the confidence you have in the services you're providing. However, with every bad fly-by-night host offering an uptime guarantee and not honouring it, it's diluted the effects a lot.

its not just fly by night hosts offer uptime guarantees and not honouring it. it is also the fly by night kiddie hosts.

here is a prime example

1-YEARS-UNLIMITED-RESELLER-HOSTING-99-9-Uptime- £3.99

The winner of this auction will receive One YEARS UNLIMITED RESELLER Hosting which will allow you to Create Unlimited numbers of Individual cPanel Accounts with all of the features listed below :

- Unlimited Bandwidth

- Unlimited Webspace

- Unlimited E-mail accounts

- Unlimited SQL Databases

- Unlimited Parked Domains

- Unlimited Addon domains

- Free SMS Renewal notices (optional)

- Free AccountLab + (optional)

- RV Site Builder

- Runs Nignix Plugin for faster hosting

- Guaranteed 99.9% Uptime

to make it look attractive they also state
10% of the final sale price will support Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity

so £3.99

ebay list fee 40p
ebay FVF approx. 40p
paypal fee approx. 47p
charity fee approx. 30p

so approx £1.57 leaving the seller approx. 2.42 for a years reseller hosting.

we work realy hard on our business like most hosts and these so called kiddies hosts give genuine hosts a bad name.

Do not make a guarantee that your bank can not cash, if there is no way of knowing how it will be as a host or a reseller do not attempt to write a check you can not cash. In the end that is what is going to matter, if the client is upset they will take their business elsewhere.

I honor my up time guarantee. Depending on the severity of the downtime they can get discounted of their next month or even next month free.

Usually customers care about the uptime guarantee so that they know the hosting company will take responsibility if the server crashes. This takes form of some sort of monetary compensation.

How do you honor them? With fine prints ofc. With so much conditions that I find the words pretty meaningless.

its not just fly by night hosts offer uptime guarantees and not honouring it. it is also the fly by night kiddie hosts.

here is a prime example

1-YEARS-UNLIMITED-RESELLER-HOSTING-99-9-Uptime- £3.99

to make it look attractive they also state

so £3.99

ebay list fee 40p
ebay FVF approx. 40p
paypal fee approx. 47p
charity fee approx. 30p

so approx £1.57 leaving the seller approx. 2.42 for a years reseller hosting.

we work realy hard on our business like most hosts and these so called kiddies hosts give genuine hosts a bad name.

I personally don't believe in unlimited hosting or services which are advertised on ebay, as majority of them are scam.

I personally don't believe in unlimited hosting or services which are advertised on ebay, as majority of them are scam.

Unlimited is really a marketing ploy as nothing is unlimited. but if you market this correctly and have a good TOS then you can offer such services (we have tested this and the word unlimited does attract clients), but like the ebay example i quotes you can look at these and at that price it may not be a scam, just the host has no clue on how to run a hosting business and wont last long at them prices.

that ebay seller now seems to have lost the plot now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ctm/Unlimited Web Hosting 5 Years for 5?nfItemId=330750115015

5 Years Unlimited Web Hosting For The Small Price Of £2.99!!!

Last edited:

Did you ever ask yourself why does your unlimited hosting, with an unlimited disk space and traffic, cost you only 9$ per month, while a private server that has a 250 GB memory limit and 1.5 TB traffic limit per month can reach up to 175$?

Or, for instance, what interest does the Internet-business giant YouTube have in paying millions per year to host your videos? It was far in 2006 when YouTube was already paying something about 2 mln $ per month for a 25 petabytes (25.000 TB) traffic.
willy.boerland.com/myblog/youtube_bandwidth_usage_25_petabytes_per_month

Here is the officially released information about the number of watched videos and the amount of traffic that they gained in 2006.

Now don't you think that they could buy an unlimited hosting for 120$ per year? Unlimited disk space and traffic- this is what we are promised in all the commercials, but we are not getting what we are paying for.

Uptime Guarantee - Good or Bad Idea?

Uptime is really an important factor for each hosting company.

For example, while observing the uptime of Justhost , 200 websites hosted at Justhost were analysed.As a result, the company real uptime became 97.75%.

dropbox.com/s/e3d4tudh2np5jgf/Justhost.JPG"]https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3d4tudh2np5jgf/Justhost.JPG

Now don't you think that they could buy an unlimited hosting for 120$ per year? Unlimited disk space and traffic- this is what we are promised in all the commercials, but we are not getting what we are paying for.

Exactly, as they state in the adverts, but cannot even provide as unlimited does not exsist. If it does can anyone tell me where i can get a car with an unlimited fuel tank and where i can get unlimied fuel for the tank