Technical Suport Coverage

Zachary McClung

Dear HD,

I understand that every hosting company is different it its aspect of support. If you are a budget hosts you are likely to have less support and business solutions are most likely to have dedicated lines. This is all making a personal assumption. I know, that some companies are different as for budget hosts providing excellent support.

The question is how many individuals do you have to cover support at 12:00 am to 8:59 am, 9:00 am - 4:59 pm, 5:00 pm - 11:9 pm. These are estimates I am just curious to when is support the most important and when are the key assets of your support team available.

I don't think you can really ask this question fairly.

If a company is in India but most of their clients are from the US their support hours are going to peak at different times than if a Canadian company had the same type of client base.
We are from Eastern Canada and for some reason the majority of our clients are from the West Coast of both Canada and the US so our support is more concentrated later in the evening because of the 4 hour time difference.

storagedump.com said:
you dont need a big staff. you need a knowledgeable staff that can resolve issues fast, happy customers, low staff budget, happy you.

Not sure that I can agree with that. I'd rather hire 10 average people at $10 / hour than one know it all at $100/hour.

I'd rather hire 10 average people at $10 / hour than one know it all at $100/hour.
I'm not so sure about that either. Sometimes you need a man with real knowledge to solve a difficult issue.

I've hired experienced, qualified, knowledgeable techs for $1.25/ticket. Money isn't the big thing when hiring support people. All my staff are based in the United States, and it's just playing with time zones to get everyone on a comfortable shift. I have 24/7 tech support with all U.S. techs, and it doesn't burst my budget. Even new/budget hosts can do it with a low amount of financial resources.

WPT-Nick said:
I've hired experienced, qualified, knowledgeable techs for $1.25/ticket. Money isn't the big thing when hiring support people. All my staff are based in the United States, and it's just playing with time zones to get everyone on a comfortable shift. I have 24/7 tech support with all U.S. techs, and it doesn't burst my budget. Even new/budget hosts can do it with a low amount of financial resources.

May i ask where you find these types of technicians?

We're a South African based company, though we have a server in the states, and we're looking @ expanding our business.

How would it work if I get someone from "outside" to support our clients? Would it work if I setup something Cerberus / Kayako and they logon from their office to do the support - when it comes in?

SoftDux said:
How would it work if I get someone from "outside" to support our clients? Would it work if I setup something Cerberus / Kayako and they logon from their office to do the support - when it comes in?

Yes it is possible :) we work for many of our clients the same way.

ThinkSupport said:
Yes it is possible :) we work for many of our clients the same way.

Hey Think Support - how come your ticket packages are "100 tickets per month". How can you charge per ticket and per month?

I've only ever seen per month/per server/ and per ticket prices anywhere else.

storagedump.com said:
you dont need a big staff. you need a knowledgeable staff that can resolve issues fast, happy customers, low staff budget, happy you.

100% agree, i see lot of hosting companies has support staff who has no clue abt wot their doin, when you ask a Q from them, they practically answer something else lolz, so if you can have at least 2-3 people with good konwledge that's more than enough

websiteideas said:
Not sure that I can agree with that. I'd rather hire 10 average people at $10 / hour than one know it all at $100/hour.

You might be able to get away with this for a while, but if you ever experience a serious problem and none of these guys know how to solve it, it might do serious damage to your companies reputation if you cannot find someone to solve things quickly.

Hello,

We used to work for 24x7x365.we do provide the service with Live chat , phone support and ticket support.Pure webhosting solutions.

Most users don't bother if you have 24/7 support online. They want their requests to be resolved in a timely manner. Though, we do provider unmanaged vps etc. but we do provide support to managed service question except when the support requests are at peak.

Though, we do provider unmanaged vps etc. but we do provide support to managed service question except when the support requests are at peak.
Isn't there a danger of raising customer expectations beyond the specifications of what they're paying for, and the few times when you can't provide that level of service they became accustomed to, end up hurting you?

We use a combination of inhouse and hired technicians so we have everything covered in a TRUE 24/7 environment. Yes it does cost us a quite a bit more to do it this way, but we feel that having support there round the clock is really noticed by your customers and it gives me peace of mind knowing everything is covered. So the extra cost is well worth it.

I have 24-7 Hour support. Our livehelp is closed after typical bussniess hours 10-8 pm. however our tech support is always online for tickets.