Support Tickets

shockym

What is the preferred turn around time? I know if its not something urgent in our system you can set to low/med/high levels, but what is good? I have heard so many talk about waiting for days for any type of reply from their hosting company.

We try for anytime within the first 20 minutes of one being submitted to show good faith that we are investigating whichever issue might be going on, but I don't think I could handle waiting a day for a response. :rolleyes2

Basically, if the issue is taken care of within minutes, the response can come any day. :)

But, as time passes, we expect more and more from hosts. I would probably be a bit disappointed if no answer would come within a few hours (that is if 24/7 support is being advertised).

Most hosts have ticket resolution SLAs published as 24 hours in order to underpromise and over deliver. As for the initial response, the faster the better to allow the client to know you are on it. Many hosts use an auto resonder to acknowledge the receipt of the ticket. Not personal but at least the client knows their ticket is in the system. Good luck.

I sat that the other day and on the phone with a friend of mine who hosts with DreamHost, she put in a ticket about 7am and nothing til almost 8pm that night. Her entire site was down, for the most part - its a business site thats run with forums so her index page shows (they rub VB for the boards), the calender worked and who's online - everything else was a table lost error.

Its really hard to help calm down someone when they are not hosting with you, its not like you have any idea what exactly is going on w/o being able to peek inside, but once everything did come back up it was a huge PITA since they lost 12+hrs of data doing a restore, good thing for backups. Seriously though if someone had me waiting 1/2 a day for a support ticket reply (even a "We are working on it") I could be happy with that, but nothing for 12+ hrs I would FREAK OUT. :shocked:

If they advertise 24/7 support I would expect a reply in a couple hours, even a generic "we are working on it/are aware of the situation/etc" and hopefully a fix in 12-24 hours. Having the entire site be down would make me a bit more upset but we do still take a risk depending on technology.

I have had terrible experiences with support tickets for different sites. It seems like it always takes several days to get a response. So, I would prefer to telephone a customer service number anyday.

It really depends on what you're paying for.

If you're paying $1/month for basic hosting, then you should not expect very fast (or competant) support.

If you're paying $100/month for basic hosting, then you should expect to have a phone number and immediate response from support.

Diskspace and bandwidth, servers, memory, cpu... all hardware is a commodity these days. What you are paying for is support and service. It's that simple. Pay more, expect more. Pay less, expect less.

We try to reply to tickets within first 3minutes ( basic note like, "we are working on your problem, it should be fixed within 30min" )

Once we find&fix the problem or whatever it is, we make final update to ticket.

Response time should be between 30 minutes - 1 hour.
We Guarantee 30 minutes response time, but usually answer within 10 minutes.

However, there is different between Response and Resolution time. Many issues can be handled within 30 minutes up to 1 hour, but some bigger problems usually request up to 6+ hours.

Response time for a ticket should be within the first 20 mins to an hour (depending on the host and size of the host). Resolution time for ticket will depend on the severity of the issue at hand. Some issues might only take 5-10 minutes, some might take a day or two..All depends on the serverity.

Average response time should be 30 minutes and resolution time should be 24 hours. Many customers get confused with Response time and resolution time. :thumbup:

It's true that every host should resolve there customer's issues as soon as possble but there will be some issues that will consume more than 15 - 20 hours.:shaky:

I guess I should have said first response time. :D

mrzippy I am not sure I follow where you are going with this as I have seen cheaper places still over quite decent service and turn around times. I have even tested some competition out and I have seen those who are "you get what you pay for" and also those who stand aside from the same note with amazing turn over time. I think that depends on the company too, not just what you pay for.

The response should be asap. The issue should be solved within 8-12 hours max. :)

That fully depends on what the problem is too.

"I broke my email, help" is a great deal different than some random person using a bad script on their site that causes some crazed fool to run an injection onto an entire server, causing it to be down for not just their site, but all the sites on the shared drive too.

Just the same, something that could be company wide (cPanel freaking out), could take longer since its not the host waiting on their end, but cPanel on that end instead.

Certainly, you want to respond to tickets as quickly as possible to minimize customer churn, but resolution depends entirely on the issue. When you get a ticket from an administrative contact regarding an issue related to their third party developer and they don't have their developer's contact information, or even understand the scope of the problem, it can significantly delay resolution.