Support personnel profiles

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
What I don't see a lot of today on webhosting provider's sites are profiles of their support staff. Do you agree or does this make any difference to prospects?

What I don't see a lot of today on webhosting provider's sites are profiles of their support staff. Do you agree or does this make any difference to prospects?
never really thought of this, but maybe fine if you are a small company with 2 or 3 support staff, but if you are large with hundreds of staff then this can be hard to do

It makes a world of difference. No matter how big the company is, I've always enjoyed seeing pages with pictures of staff on them. The bigger the mosaic of pics, the bigger the impression. So rare in the hosting world, but it's really cool to see the people behind the servers. It brings across a strong message of it being a people-company first.

Some companies go even further. They create profiles of owners/CEOs. I remember a company called Micfo, which I partnered with for a few years back in the early 00s. As much as Micfo has grown to be an industry behemoth, they still stay true to their values: "We are simply people serving people and though we deal with technology issues, we remember that our clients and colleagues, like ourselves, are people first" is what they say on their site. Additionally, they created a whole page profiling their CEO, who goes above and beyond sharing intimate details of his personal life, outside of work.

So next time someone submits a support ticket, they know there is someone on the other side who is definitely taking care of it, whether it takes 3 minutes or 30 to respond.

It makes a world of difference. No matter how big the company is, I've always enjoyed seeing pages with pictures of staff on them. The bigger the mosaic of pics, the bigger the impression. So rare in the hosting world, but it's really cool to see the people behind the servers. It brings across a strong message of it being a people-company first.

Some companies go even further. They create profiles of owners/CEOs. I remember a company called Micfo, which I partnered with for a few years back in the early 00s. As much as Micfo has grown to be an industry behemoth, they still stay true to their values: "We are simply people serving people and though we deal with technology issues, we remember that our clients and colleagues, like ourselves, are people first" is what they say on their site. Additionally, they created a whole page profiling their CEO, who goes above and beyond sharing intimate details of his personal life, outside of work.

So next time someone submits a support ticket, they know there is someone on the other side who is definitely taking care of it, whether it takes 3 minutes or 30 to respond.
I also like a company that if you have an issue that staff cant sort out or won't sort out and you send a friendly email to the CEO, you get a friendly reply back either from the CEO or the exec. team.

I hate it when you get a so-called Auto reply to your email hours after sending your email (which to me is not an auto-reply, but a staff member sending a canned reply) or you get a ' your email has been deleted without being read' reply to me both these are ignorance as they don't care about you or your custom

For web hosting, we recommended our staff to upload their pictures and a small bio, but we did have some that didn't want to be publicly known or have their image out there. I can understand that.

From a marketing perspective, when we work with small businesses, especially in the service industry, we highly recommend that they have pics online, and if they don't want to do a bio, they can add a favorite quote etc. We work with quite a number of House Cleaning Companies and a few Carpet Cleaning and Plubing Companies. We not only advise them to have the pictures online, but when they schedule a visit, send the picture of the staff to the customer. This almost immediately builds a report with the client, and when they open they door they can say "Hi John" etc.

Hosting is a little different of course, but nothing beats a personal touch. That's really all that separates companies these days.