Softaculous Auto Installer

Hi,

I am a big fan of Softaculous Auto Installer.
We offer it to all our clients. I wanted to know what people here use.
Are they still offering Fantastico or are they offering Both or are they offering Softaculous.
Is it beneficial to add both ? Do customers still ask for Fantastico ?

We removed Fantastico in favor of Softaculous just for the fact that Softaculous keeps their software packaegs up to date, Way better then Fantastico does.

We tried Fantastico, but we prefer Softaculous because it emails users to let them know when updates to the software they installed are available. We hope that will help avoid the security vulnerabilities that often crop up in non-updated software.

it emails users to let them know when updates to the software they installed are available.

It will only do this when the admin chooses to do this, as this is not an automated process.

i.e. the admin has to go into their Softaculous admin area under installations > outdated installations then check all outdated scripts and then click email users of newer version.

They are beta testing a way admins can update certain scripts without contacting clients

So my host is emailing me saying that my softaculous scripts are outdated?
I thought it was automatic as well.

no its a manual process, we try and do this every month.

the new auto update feature will email users when it performs an auto update of any scripts.

Hi,

I am a big fan of Softaculous Auto Installer.
We offer it to all our clients. I wanted to know what people here use.
Are they still offering Fantastico or are they offering Both or are they offering Softaculous.
Is it beneficial to add both ? Do customers still ask for Fantastico ?

Those who used to work with Fantastico still ask to install this auto installer on the server.

Those who already started using Softaculous simply forgot about Fantastico and started using Softaculous instead.

So my host is emailing me saying that my softaculous scripts are outdated?
I thought it was automatic as well.
It is automatic - or at least it is if the "Notify Script Updates" option is selected and the cron job set up correctly.

As an admin, you can also send manual reminders, but not any need if you set the system to do it automatically.

We are a NOC partner for Softaculous and Virtualizor - both are excellent products. We used to also offer Fantasico, but dropped it about 12 months ago - we were disappointed with the delay in updates and the selection of scripts. Softaculous does everything it did and more.

Steve

It is automatic - or at least it is if the "Notify Script Updates" option is selected and the cron job set up correctly.

this does not work

Notify Script Updates
Will send emails when scripts or software updates are available or auto update of scripts or software is performed is checked and cron is set as default 55 23 * * * but i never get any emails when my own scripts have newer versions

this does not work

Notify Script Updates
Will send emails when scripts or software updates are available or auto update of scripts or software is performed is checked and cron is set as default 55 23 * * * but i never get any emails when my own scripts have newer versions

Odd - it should (and does on all the servers we have it deployed on). Anything in the server logs when the cron job runs?

Might be worth having a word with their support to see what's wrong.

Steve

Odd - it should (and does on all the servers we have it deployed on). Anything in the server logs when the cron job runs?

Might be worth having a word with their support to see what's wrong.

Steve

i do get the daily Automatic Cron Updates email, which tells admins which scripts have been updates/removed/added to Softaculous, so this cron works

i do get the daily Automatic Cron Updates email, which tells admins which scripts have been updates/removed/added to Softaculous, so this cron works

I've just checked through the mail logs on one of our cPanel servers for the the cron job which ran last.

It first processed software updates downloads. Then it emailed us with the list of upgraded packages and finally it sent out a bunch of emails to account holders with the subject "Script Updates Available".

Looks like it must be an issue with your installation.

Steve

I've just checked through the mail logs on one of our cPanel servers for the the cron job which ran last.

It first processed software updates downloads. Then it emailed us with the list of upgraded packages and finally it sent out a bunch of emails to account holders with the subject "Script Updates Available".

Looks like it must be an issue with your installation.

Steve

which log do i need to look at, so i can check

which log do i need to look at, so i can check

Easiest way would be to check your SMTP server log file for outgoing mail.

I'll assume you are using Centos 5 or 6:

If you use exim, look in /var/log/exim_mainlog , exim_rejectlog and
exim_paniclog (if all working well, it should be in the mainlog)

If you use postfix, /var/log/mail.log

If you are using the default cron times (50 10 * * *), then look for 10:50 (am) for the activity.

Steve

Fantastico must have got hit hard when Softaculous came out because it's much cheaper and personally think it's a lot better as well.

Not really, they practically have the same software on both, and if you want there is a way to add the software manually so that client can autoinstall on there.

Fantastico is dead in my opinion. We used it for about 4 years. We then started offering it alongside Softaculous and people made the switch. We dumped Fantastico on 60 servers and only use Softaculous now! Great move on our part!

InterWorx has one built in for free. Save yourself $3/month + whatever the price difference is between InterWorx and cPanel (or whatever you're using) at your host.