Server monitoring

WHMCS has a nice server load monitoring part built in. But for availability, I like Pingdom, although many have left it after it changed its prices

Pingdom & WHMCS are good for telling you your website is down. If you are offering your clients hosting services you want to know your server is acting up before they go down, before customers get angry.

Try something like serverdensity.com - you can set alerts for things such as high load etc... giving you time to investigate & fix.

Using observium at the moment, loving it! Monitors server cpu temps, voltage, ram, network, disk all the usual, and works a treat!

we use Pingdom,uptimerobot, site24x7 and a few more, so we can get a more accurate reading as we find Pingdom thinks they are 100% accurate and their system never gives false positives, even after you provide server logs that show your servers were up when they say it was down, they will always say that they are right and your server logs are wrong

I wouldn't use an external monitoring system for monitoring server services. Other than checking availability its not worth it. Services like Pingdom are nice for end-user type monitoring but don't do much for the server admin

Best to set up your own server with its own monitoring software on same network as servers being monitored -- or use a monitoring system that utilizes agents.

We use pingdom currently. As a beta, we began testing out StatusCake which is really cool! Not that expensive and has some very "modern" features

I use Pingdom for our servers and network equipment, its been pretty reliable and accurate and it's very customizable with the ability to add contacts, cell phones and also mobile phone apps for android, iOS and Windows mobile.

I have also used Nagios, which was overly complex for our needs, but still recommended.

+1 for Uptime Robot! It works great and up to 50 sites free! We have used them for a while now.

I definitely can speak the opposite about Uptime Robot. I've not had good luck with them. I tried it out and it seems to have issues monitoring the websites I used. I have 4 different monitoring softwares/companies monitoring our servers, and UptimeRobot would randomly tell me the site is down. I'd check it out and could get to it without any issues. A while later (many times over 15 minutes), I would get an email stating the server is back up. If the server was truly down, I can be assured that clients would have noticed a 15 minute unexplained downtime issue.

I definitely can speak the opposite about Uptime Robot. I've not had good luck with them. I tried it out and it seems to have issues monitoring the websites I used. I have 4 different monitoring softwares/companies monitoring our servers, and UptimeRobot would randomly tell me the site is down. I'd check it out and could get to it without any issues. A while later (many times over 15 minutes), I would get an email stating the server is back up. If the server was truly down, I can be assured that clients would have noticed a 15 minute unexplained downtime issue.

Funny thing thou, I have noticed that to today, but was very strange. All but two of my sites were down! How could that be? They were all in the same server too, hmm.

Now I see what you meant. I might have to look into it a bit more and try new monitoring companies for monitoring our server.

We've tried multiple different services on personal and business levels, and clients have used uptime robot also, along with plenty of other smaller sites...

Either way, none of them are perfect. However, they are definitely worth using a service to keep a monitor on your sites... whether the server is up or not, we've heard clients stories where their sites are down, but the server they are on, is up and running perfectly.