Pros & Cons of Bitcoin

CarlC

I have been looking into bitcoin a little and really don't know what the advantages or disadvantages are. I don't get a lot of requests for it but do do a lot of business in other countries.

There is more advantages than disadvantages the main ones being low fees, ability to accept payments from any country and chargebacks are non-existant to my knowledge.

The big drawback is in some countries banks try and restrict bitcoins. For example if you use Bitpay and are from the UK you must make £1000 worth of funds before you can withdraw to your account. This is due to UK banks trying to put off businesses working with Bitcoins.

Apart from the low fees, I doubt there is much you lose by not offering Bitcoin. Am yet to have my second client asking to use bitcoin to pay. May be its just me any our clients.

Indeed most providers probably get Paypal/credit cards payments the most. But being more accessible does not hurt when it real viable option.

Problem with offering payment options that are not that used is you end up with one client who pays through it lets say $4 a month for shared hosting and the withdraw fees become very high because you have very little volume on that gateway

Problem with offering payment options that are not that used is you end up with one client who pays through it lets say $4 a month for shared hosting and the withdraw fees become very high because you have very little volume on that gateway

In that case I would keep that gateway's balance as a "backup" funding solution. Then you need a "little boost" hey you got something right? With Bitcoins you could even get more in "real cash" value to get more than that $4. In fact that why a provider stated why they openly accept Bitcoins.

In that case I would keep that gateway's balance as a "backup" funding solution. Then you need a "little boost" hey you got something right? With Bitcoins you could even get more in "real cash" value to get more than that $4. In fact that why a provider stated why they openly accept Bitcoins.

I am yet to find a data centre that accepts bit coin. Its still a tricky option for serious brands

Well, Now every other firm online is accepting BitCoin.
It got low feeds, and there are no chargebacks either. Also, There are ways to handle disputes or give refunds now if you're using bitpay, could be available with other 3rd party services.

So, You shouldn't think about it & just start using it.

I personally haven't seen much use for bitcoin but it is a venture that I would like to see more often. Bitcoin looks like something that would go far but due to having somewhat of bad reputation. I don't really see it as a viable option at this time.

Last edited: