Google shutting down Google Checkout on Nov 20, 2013 FURTHER INFORMATION

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just sounds like Google is complicating definitions more than they should be. Maybe what they're doing is a good thing for everyone as it would keep things simpler for them.

Collabora STOP hogging and arguing on MY threads.

I have provided email evidence from GOOGLE .....stating GW DOES NOT SUPPORT web hosting....

No you did not. You see, that is your problem. You don't even know what your own post says or what questions to ask. (and the way you quote mine is even worse)

Clue: Your "email evidence" deals with hosts already signed up for Checkout for Digital Goods being automatically transitioned to Wallet for Digital Goods or web hosts being associated with digital goods.

You have said nothing, zero, zilch about just signing up on the Wallet for Business web site as "Internet and Networking" goods -- except to disparage me and make other rude comments because I am telling others about my experience signing up for exactly that. I am providing information on how a host can use Wallet without violating any Google TOS or other agreements. Nothing wrong with that. Conversations you may or may not have with phone reps about products one may or may not use is irrelevant

Last edited:
another email from Google

Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:26 PM
To: ****************
Subject: RE: [1-1776000001121] Closing your Google Checkout account

Hello Terry,

"According to Alice at Google ( 1 855 WALLET6 ) when you sign up here: http://www.google.com/wallet/business/ you'll be taken to the API info page. On that page select Digital Goods. Fill out form and select Internet, Network, and Digital Media -- don't select Services -- as Primary product type. You can now sell web hosting and domain registration"

This is something Google will not inform anyone to do as Google class web hosting as physical goods and not digital goods.
I have explained earlier that since it is a physical good, web hosting can't be associated with GWDG.

Thank you again for your patience. If you have further questions, feel free to call my team at 1-855-WALLET-6 .

Best,
Eric
The Google Checkout Team

If you have additional questions, please visit our Help Center at http://support.google.com/checkout/sell/

If you received this communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else (it may contain confidential or privileged information), please erase all copies of it, including all attachments, and please let the sender know it went to the wrong person. Thanks.

You proved my point. Web hosts can use Wallet

I have attached a list of "Primary Product Types" you can sell with Wallet For Business. This comes right off of my account page Note that the list stops at T in the picture. You can see the TOS also. I would be more than happy to copy and paste that here also

But I already know that you won't let facts stand in the way of your narrow focus

Attachments

• wallet1.jpg
    wallet1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
You proved my point again. Web hosts can use Wallet

But its funny how you never quote me correctly or completely.

The difference between you and me is this -- you make negative proclamations, and I create solutions

Either lead, follow or get out of the way

Last edited:
CANT means they cannot use Wallet. stop arguing when you have lost i have emails from GOOGLE what have you got NOTHING

I have their web site and instructions!

I have their TOS!

I have an account! As a web host!

I've listed 3 other hosts that also use Wallet

....and the rest of my previous posts that anyone but you can understand!...attachments included!

:shaky::disagree: A few emails that answers only your narrow questions is not the final authority.

:shout:Either lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Last edited:
To try settle this I also asked and got the following response:

Hello Alex,

Thanks for your response. That's an interesting question. Web hosting is a kind of service and services are classified as Physical Goods, thus not eligible for Google Wallet Digital Goods. examples of Digital Goods are MP3s, apps, ebooks, coins in game applications.

I hope I was able to answer your question

Sincerely,

Jenny

The Google Checkout Team

Last edited:
Thank you, Alex, for reaching out to Google. Their response supports the statements that Google Wallet isn't suitable as a merchant tool for web hosting services.

I can only presume they will be adjusting their processes accordingly in given time.

I can only presume they will be adjusting their processes accordingly in given time.

I think this is true and give them time and they will most likely come up with another solution for web hosting when they find their revenue is down as i know many hosts that use Google Checkout

Thank you, Alex, for reaching out to Google. Their response supports the statements that Google Wallet isn't suitable as a merchant tool for web hosting services.

That is not what they said. They said hosting is not a digital good. Of course you will always get the same answer when asking the same question (at least one would hope). Why not follow up with a question like "well, how do I use wallet to sell physical goods?"

Google Wallet for digital goods is formerly known as In-App payments. Web hosts don't use In-App payments as far as I know. No one is claiming you can sell web hosting inside of Angry Birds

They have two APIs: one called Google Wallet for Instant Buy (previously known as Google Wallet for Online Commerce) and one called Google Wallet for digital goods (notice that "digital" and "goods" is not capitalized).

Google Wallet for Instant Buy is "A cloud-based method of accessing and storing payment information, Google Wallet Instant Buy lets buyers purchase physical goods and services on mobile websites and desktop web apps. Buyers can easily access their payment information and make a transaction in a single click or tap. "

Bottom line to date: A host can still use Wallet, as I have already proven time and time again by: (1) Signing up as a Web Host (2) Listing other hosts that use Wallet and (3) providing attachments supporting (1).

Everything on their website, including legal documents support my conclusions. Any web host innocently getting to their site can sign up for Wallet merchant account.

Last edited:
Just for you I have gone ahead and replied to my contact and asked the very question you said

"how do I use wallet to sell physical goods?"

The response:

Hello Alex,

Thanks for the quick response.

We have partnered with different payment processors to accommodate merchants like you. Since you're offering services online and are also using shopping carts, I would suggest integrating your site with Shopify. The Shopify allows users to manage inventory, edit HTML and CSS code, create coupon and discount codes, and accept online payments. They also offer 20% discount to Google Checkout users. If you want to know more about Shopify, simply click this link: http://www.shopify.com/googlecheckout.

Sincerely,
Jenny

The Google Checkout Team

That is not what they said. They said hosting is not a digital good. Of course you will always get the same answer when asking the same question (at least one would hope). Why not follow up with a question like "well, how do I use wallet to sell physical goods?"

Google Wallet for digital goods is formerly known as In-App payments. Web hosts don't use In-App payments as far as I know. No one is claiming you can sell web hosting inside of Angry Birds

They have two APIs: one called Google Wallet for Instant Buy (previously known as Google Wallet for Online Commerce) and one called Google Wallet for digital goods (notice that "digital" and "goods" is not capitalized).

Google Wallet for Instant Buy is "A cloud-based method of accessing and storing payment information, Google Wallet Instant Buy lets buyers purchase physical goods and services on mobile websites and desktop web apps. Buyers can easily access their payment information and make a transaction in a single click or tap. "

Bottom line to date: A host can still use Wallet, as I have already proven time and time again by: (1) Signing up as a Web Host (2) Listing other hosts that use Wallet and (3) providing attachments supporting (1).

Everything on their website, including legal documents support my conclusions. Any web host innocently getting to their site can sign up for Wallet merchant account.

Just for you I have gone ahead and replied to my contact and asked the very question you said

Thanks. But she is suggesting you use Google Checkout with a cart that already has it implemented for you. I think we already know we can use Google Checkout. Maybe you should tell her whmcs is a good cart too

What about Wallet? Make her answer your question. Get her to say there is absolutely no way web hosts are allowed to use Wallet

Last edited:

The response:

Hi Alex.

As i seem to get replies from a different Google contact i asked the same question, to see if they give any different answers.

Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2013 4:00 AM
To: ***********
Subject: RE: [4-1350000001270] Closing your Google Checkout account

Hello Terry,

Google Wallet can no longer be used to sell physical goods. We have no replacement for that, instead Braintree would help you as a solution provider for your business. Please refer to this link https://support.google.com/checkout/sell/answer/3080449?hl=en for additional information.

Sincerely,
Eric
The Google Checkout Team

If you have additional questions, please visit our Help Center at http://support.google.com/checkout/sell/

If you received this communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else (it may contain confidential or privileged information), please erase all copies of it, including all attachments, and please let the sender know it went to the wrong person. Thanks.

On 06/21/13 13:15:35 ************* wrote:

Hi

If I am using WHMCS then how can i use Wallet to sell Physical Goods?

notice how he states

Google Wallet can no longer be used to sell physical goods.

from that Google link

https://support.google.com/checkout/sell/answer/3080449?hl=en

Is Google offering a replacement product?

No, Google is not offering a replacement processing solution for physical goods and services. We’ve partnered with three premier players in the payments industry to offer alternatives for your eCommerce needs. The links below will guide you to more detailed information about each offering, including negotiated discounts for Checkout users:

Payment Processing: Braintree Payments
Hosted storefront: Shopify
Email invoicing: Freshbooks

We recognize this transition may be difficult; it impacts you and your business. We’re committed to helping you with a smooth transition. While we are unable to offer a direct replacement for Google Checkout, we are continuing to invest in a variety of exciting new payments products to meet real world needs for both buyers and sellers. You can learn more about our recently launched payments products below:

Google Wallet Instant Buy: Quick and easy payments on mobile, desktop, and in-app
Google Wallet Objects: Digital commercial objects and stronger third party issuer-consumer relationships

What I notice is no one has mentioned or asked about web hosts or the meaning of "internet and networking" products. If you look at my attachments one can sell Time Shares and Airline Tickets too. Other than what is happening with Google Checkout, there are no notices of any changes.

What about Wallet? Make her answer your question. Get her to say there is absolutely no way web hosts are allowed to use Wallet

Thus the proper question has still not been asked. Web hosts are still using Wallet, the list of excluded products have not changed, and web hosts can still sign up for Wallet without any caveats from Google. So I stick to my story, which is written on the web pages on Google for merchants to read

And no one has accepted my Just Sign Up challenge and post what they see. (Sign up for Wallet, not Checkout)

Last edited:
A quick summary of the issue with GC and GW

post 1

I understand that you want to know if web hosting is accepted by Google Wallet for digital goods (GWDG). Since it is a physical good, web hosting can't be associated with GWDG.

post 5

I understand that web hosting is a service that allows individuals and organizations to make their website accessible via the World Wide Web. But as per Google, it is a service that is tagged as a physical service.

post 23

This is something Google will not inform anyone to do as Google class web hosting as physical goods and not digital goods.
I have explained earlier that since it is a physical good, web hosting can't be associated with GWDG.

post 29
Web hosting is a kind of service and services are classified as Physical Goods, thus not eligible for Google Wallet Digital Goods. examples of Digital Goods are MP3s, apps, ebooks, coins in game applications.

post 35

Google Wallet can no longer be used to sell physical goods.

Google have stated many times they class web hosting as Physical Goods which they have stated Wallet can no longer be used to sell Physical Goods (web hosting)

I just read this

https://support.google.com/checkout/sell/answer/3080449?hl=en

Retiring Google Checkout Announcement

On November 20th, 2013, Google will shut down its Checkout product. Here’s how this may affect you:

Merchants selling digital goods may transition to Google Wallet for digital goods
Merchants selling through Google-hosted marketplaces (e.g. Google Play) will be unaffected
Merchants selling physical goods will need to switch to third-party alternatives (see below)

Status
Not open for further replies.