Google shutting down Google Checkout on Nov 20, 2013 FURTHER INFORMATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

easyhostmedia

Hi

As Art closed the original thread, i have just got this from Google regarding Google Wallet and Web Hosting, which i think is important to those in the hosting industry

Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 3:34 PM
To: ****************
Subject: RE: [1-1776000001121] Closing your Google Checkout account

Hello Terry,

Please forgive me for the slow response. We’ve received a lot of questions related to the Checkout retirement announcement. Thanks for your patience.

I understand that you want to know if web hosting is accepted by Google Wallet for digital goods (GWDG). Since it is a physical good, web hosting can't be associated with GWDG. Also, since Google Checkout is retiring on November 20, 2013 and we're not accepting new account as of May 20, 2013, I suggest that you contact one of our three solutions provider partner which is Braintree. You can reach them using this number : 1-877-434-2894, or visit them at their website at support@braintreepayments.com.

Thank you again for your patience. If you have further questions, feel free to call my team at 1-855-WALLET-6.

Best,
Eric
The Google Checkout Team

If you have additional questions, please visit our Help Center at http://support.google.com/checkout/sell/

If you received this communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else (it may contain confidential or privileged information), please erase all copies of it, including all attachments, and please let the sender know it went to the wrong person. Thanks.

From the sounds of it Eric doesn't understand web hosting and so that would make the above response invalid.

He states web hosting is a physical good and Google Wallet for digital goods is not for physical goods. Web hosting is not a physical good which he believes to be the case.

Maybe web hosting is allowed, maybe not though it sounds like that specific representative isn't sure himself.

From the sounds of it Eric doesn't understand web hosting and so that would make the above response invalid.

He states web hosting is a physical good and Google Wallet for digital goods is not for physical goods. Web hosting is not a physical good which he believes to be the case.

Maybe web hosting is allowed, maybe not though it sounds like that specific representative isn't sure himself.

yes i have replied to Eric stating the same, but i dont thing Google know what they are doing as i have been told yes and no by different people at Google, but their again Google are unsure of anything as they don't even know how to calculate corporation tax.

Why keep calling? All you need to know is at Wallet for Business site. Sign up, read the TOS and start selling. I have already posted step-by-step instructions exactly the way I did it.

If I was to call your hosting company and a rep gave me info that contradicted, or was not consistent with your TOS, should I go by what the rep says or your TOS?

This isn't brain surgery.

Aside from that, I think Google defines a digital good as a product that does not need a shipping address -- such as a file attachment or download. Web Hosting is neither of these.

Last edited:
This explains a lot as Google class web hosting as a Physical service.

to Collabora TOS are general and do not contain everything about everything, even i bet you provide services etc. that every issue that comes up will not be in your TOS.

Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 5:57 PM
To: ***************
Subject: Re: [1-1776000001121] Closing your Google Checkout account

Hello Terry,

I understand that web hosting is a service that allows individuals and organizations to make their website accessible via the World Wide Web. But as per Google, it is a service that is tagged as a physical service.

Sincerely,
Eric
The Google Checkout Team

If you have additional questions, please visit our Help Center at http://support.google.com/checkout/sell/

If you received this communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else (it may contain confidential or privileged information), please erase all copies of it, including all attachments, and please let the sender know it went to the wrong person. Thanks.

Why keep calling? All you need to know is at Wallet for Business site. Sign up, read the TOS and start selling. I have already posted step-by-step instructions exactly the way I did it.

If I was to call your hosting company and a rep gave me info that contradicted, or was not consistent with your TOS, should I go by what the rep says or your TOS?

This isn't brain surgery.

Aside from that, I think Google defines a digital good as a product that does not need a shipping address -- such as a file attachment or download. Web Hosting is neither of these.

Looks like Google clearly understands what web hosting is just they classify it differently. A representative has clearly described web hosting and that it isn't supported under their Google Wallet Digital Goods gateway and so I'd start looking for an alternative.

PayPal, 2CheckOut & Stripe (By November when GC closes hopefully Stripe will be out of the private beta!).

GoCardLess is also a nice alternative (Though limited to UK customers only).

Google Wallet / Checkout in November is out of the question for web hosting companies.

to me 2co are rogues as if you do not use their services within a 4 month period they deactivate your account without warning ( so basically they are telling you to force your clients to use them)

we use Paypal, Payatrader and Gocardless

Gocardless are great and offer excellent support and they only charge a 1% free, so cheaper than others.

I also love GoCardLess transaction fees which is also capped at £2 :).

As for 2CheckOut I wouldn't assume you have to force your clients to use them, simply offer it as an option and if within a 4 month window no clients opt in then why keep it - your clients clearly don't want to use it so you don't lose anything :).

GoCardLess will support other EU countries within the next 12 months and US based customers within the next 18 months :).

I also love GoCardLess transaction fees which is also capped at £2 :).

As for 2CheckOut I wouldn't assume you have to force your clients to use them, simply offer it as an option and if within a 4 month window no clients opt in then why keep it - your clients clearly don't want to use it so you don't lose anything :).

GoCardLess will support other EU countries within the next 12 months and US based customers within the next 18 months :).

yes forgot the £2 cap.

yes 2co will be gone, not losing anything as signed up free through WHMCS.
I like Payatrader.com as i can also use this for my offline businesses and no need for payment terminals as i can use my Blackberry and Blackberry Playbook as virtual terminals

Looks like Google clearly understands what web hosting is just they classify it differently. A representative has clearly described web hosting and that it isn't supported under their Google Wallet Digital Goods gateway and so I'd start looking for an alternative.

You are asking the wrong question. Web Hosting is classified as "internet and networking" and is a valid category for Wallet For Business.

You need to get out of the Checkout for Digital goods/Wallet for Digital Goods box.

Its fascinating that neither you nor Terry has any interest in actually going to the Wallet for Business Website and viewing the categories that are available during signup or reading the TOS regarding the program. As for me, I'll stick with the legal contract I have with Google that specifies what I can and cannot sell. You can stick with the contradictory info from outsourced customer service reps.

I found my 3rd Webhosting company using google Wallet: Interserver.net

Last edited:
You are asking the wrong question. Web Hosting is classified as "internet and networking" and is a valid category for Wallet For Business.

You need to get out of the Checkout for Digital goods/Wallet for Digital Goods box.

stop repeating the same useless info as you were on the other thread

the question asked was

Hi will Google wallet work with web hosting as ive
heard Google dont class web hosting as a digital product/service

and the replies were from GOOGLE

stop repeating the same useless info as you were on the other thread

You are not the judge on what is useful and what is not.

I have created a Wallet merchant account as a Web Host. I provided information including step-by-step instructions on how a webhost can use Wallet according to Google TOS. I have cited three BIG hosting companies that use Google Wallet.

Yet you call that useless information, and the non-information you provide as useful. As a matter of fact most people may consider "yes-you-can and here is how" more useful than "no you can't and don't ask any questions or contradict me"

You can ignore the info if you want, but its not your place to play gatekeeper for the hosting community.

Last edited:
so what did you do then - quoted from other thread.

at least i have emails from Google.

Like I said:

I have created a Wallet merchant account as a Web Host. I provided information including step-by-step instructions on how a webhost can use Wallet according to Google TOS. I have cited three BIG hosting companies that use Google Wallet.

For some reason that's the part you don't want anyone to see. Don't punish other hosts because you ask the wrong questions. The email you posted at the beginning of this thread is worthless. Its like posting that you can't sell hosting at the Farmers Market. Tell us something we don't know.

Either lead, follow or get out of the way

To be honest, I never liked it anyway !

It would be easier for us to just accept card payments and paypal, we kind of have the best of both worlds that way

Collabora STOP hogging and arguing on MY threads.

I have provided email evidence from GOOGLE which your DONT run or own stating GW DOES NOT SUPPORT web hosting as Google class hosting as a physical service.

you will look sick if suddenly Google find you deceived them and decide to close your Google account.

their TOS mentions nothing, so the next step is to contact them which i did and got their reply asking the CORRECT question.

i am not arguing anymore as it seems you know more about Google than they do.

Just a notice that I am watching this thread closely.

I also think that time will tell who is right. If web hosting turns out to be the kind of service that is against the Wallet TOS, then Google will take measures against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.