Daily Backups

@EasyHostMedia: Not sure if it is the same company (old site maybe?) but Jet's site is located at: http://www.jetbackupmanager.com/

Clicking order sends you strait to BuycPanel (maybe an exclusive reseller provider?). Doesn't look like they allow you to buy a license directly it seems so no need for a client area etc

Gotcha. I guess they changed websites and forgot to update the old site :D

Looks like they go exclusively via BuycPanel, can't see any other links to order directly or a reseller list etc

They also seem to use cpanels own backup system, so i assume it will work the same way in that to backup 30GB you have to have 30GB free on the server for it to carry out the backup.

they do have a clientarea through jetserver.net which you access through the forum link.

i have submitted them a ticket as i wanted a couple of queries answered on this

Sorry, been away , dealing with some stuff the past week or so. Life happens ;) .

it lets you chose Daily Backup Retention,Weekly Backup Retention , Monthly Backup Retention for as long as you want and as many as you want. will also allow you to
Not so... Their cpanel interface doesn't let you specify how many backups to keep at all. This is very different from the cPanel backup system itself, which lets you specify how many days/months/weeks backups you want to keep (unless using incremental).
With cPremote, there's no option to keep anything more than the most current (day, week, month) when selected. Looking at how they store backups, this is not possible, since they store them in backupdir/weekly/account , backupdir/monthly/account, or backupdir/dayofweek/account. So, basically, you're rotating the backup out every time it's made.

RE: jetbackup and their website.

I first found out about this when purchasing a cPanel license through buycpanel, correct...
This does appear to be exclusively sold through them, but you don't have to have a cPanel license through them... It's just sold as an addon to a cPanel license.

They also seem to use cpanels own backup system,
Not at all.
They maintain one 'full' account backup, and as many snapshhots as you need. Right now, I've got the system set to keep 90 days
cPanel's backup system handles things very, very differently, maintaining just one backup (if incremental is chosen), just like cPremote. You can have one weekly, monthly, daily, that's it. The only differences with cPanel's backup and cPremote are that cPremote lets you back up every day (as opposed to daily, monthly, weekly) and restore from those incrementals
The disk usage for jetbackup is rather nice too. For example, I have an account with 21G of data (my owncloud setup). With 15 uncompressed backups, the storage is only at 73G. I'm not 100% sure as to how they keep that so low, but I'm certainly not one to complain.
I've had to restore a few times from it, and haven't found any problems with the data so far.

The major feature for me with jetbackup was multiple backups, multiple systems. Like I mentioned, I have MySQL databases backed up every 6 hours, since that data is going to be more volatile than anything, and it keeps up rather well.
Adding to this, their ability to limit the client's backup via inode, and charge for restores (with a WHMCS plugin) isn't horrible, either.

Not to sound like I'm shilling for these guys, they have their issues, for sure.. However, so far, this is probably one of the best backup systems I've seen as far as cPanel is concerned. Everyone else is quite limiting with the # of backups you can do, or running just one, or storing in just one place, etc.. Not this system.

They also seem to use cpanels own backup system

Not at all.
They maintain one 'full' account backup, and as many snapshhots as you need.

i see you been selective to my quotes. my full quote is

They also seem to use cpanels own backup system, so i assume it will work the same way in that to backup 30GB you have to have 30GB free on the server for it to carry out the backup.

the cpanel backup system requires you to have a free 30GB space if you want to backup 30GB as it makes a backup on your server then sends that to the remote location.

after speaking to the guys a jetserver to told me that it does use the cpanel backup system to make the backups

We find R1Soft is great. Our backups are never more than 30 behind your data and the customer can restore using the plugin in the control panel.

There's a couple of other unmentioned ones in here
Jet Backup runs pretty well for the cost. I have this configured to dump MySQL databases every 6 hours and accounts daily ( so , 5 MySQL backups a day).

I tested this for a day, I am a developer too, from user perspective the setup is too complicated, from developer side after I setup a job and ran the job manually at the end of logs told me the backup was successfully sent to backup server but in fact wasn't, I know what was the problem but the program is not telling me, so I skip. This made me to keep backup method with scripts in the house using rsync method, and restore by tickets).

JetBackup is impressive but I guess they have to work more in user setup interface and documentation. This program has potential.

I tested this for a day, I am a developer too, from user perspective the setup is too complicated, from developer side after I setup a job and ran the job manually at the end of logs told me the backup was successfully sent to backup server but in fact wasn't, I know what was the problem but the program is not telling me, so I skip. This made me to keep backup method with scripts in the house using rsync method, and restore by tickets).

JetBackup is impressive but I guess they have to work more in user setup interface and documentation. This program has potential.

yes i tested this a while back and chose cpremote rather than jetbackup

It seems complicated to find a decent backup software.

We find that R1Soft doesn't cope well with large volumes of data (with 3TB to backup daily per large server incremental backups over 10Gbps private network take around 4 hours the first time but after only two weeks can start taking just as long as the initial backup.

We tried bacula4hosts but didn't like depending on their hosting infrastructure that is too far away from France and their self hosted version is too expensive at the moment.

We used Rsync previously but not with a control panel so end users could restore their own data.

cPremot's 7 days backup retention is too low but I think we might give Jetbackup a try athough their website doesn't work well on iOS and their logos are a little flashy so first appearance isn't that good, hope their software is better.

cPremot's 7 days backup retention is too low

no ideas why people go on about this.

cpremote allows you to backup daily, weekly or monthly

it has a link in clients cpanel that allows clients to

Restore Document Root
Restore File / Directory
Restore Home
Restore Mail Directory
Restore Database

from the last

Daily backups
Weekly backups
Monthly backups

from the backup server

Oh, thanks for the info we might give their product a go then !

The reason about this is when you search them on Google 7 days backup retention comes up as description and it's a big title too. They add daily, weekly and monthly options after this. I don't think I ever read up to the "daily, weekly and monthly" part.

I guess the 7 days is promoted as a feature as cPanel only gives 1 day backup retention + weekly and monthly.

However someone comming from a product like R1Soft sees 7 days and thinks that's all it can do.

I guess the 7 days is promoted as a feature as cPanel only gives 1 day backup retention + weekly and monthly.
cPanel lets you keep as many backups as you want, if they're uncompressed.
With incremental backups, cPanel, and cpremote as well, will only let you keep the latest backup from daily, weekly and monthly, unless you select the 7 day backup from cpremote, in which case you're only keeping 7 days worth of backups.

This is not good by any means.

cPanel will hopefully soon add the ability to perform remote incremental backups. i think we will wait and see how that goes. We're looking for a backup solution that allows us to restore a full backup using maximum disk capacity and maximum bandwith. With R1soft we feel it's limited to 1GBps connexions as with our 12 disk raid10 over 10Gbps network uncompressed transfers never get anywhere close to what we would expect. Rsync seems capable of this by running it with parallel.

cpremote as well, will only let you keep the latest backup from daily, weekly and monthly,

well this is all you want, why take up server space holding backups from months back

cpremote takes incremental backups, so will only makes a fresh backup if you have made changes to your site and then it will only backup the files you have changed.

by taking a backup everyday, week and month, then you have 3 backups to restore from

cPanel will hopefully soon add the ability to perform remote incremental backups. i think we will wait and see how that goes. We're looking for a backup solution that allows us to restore a full backup using maximum disk capacity and maximum bandwith. With R1soft we feel it's limited to 1GBps connexions as with our 12 disk raid10 over 10Gbps network uncompressed transfers never get anywhere close to what we would expect. Rsync seems capable of this by running it with parallel.

The problem with R1Soft is always disks and merge points. The more restore/merge points you have, the slower it gets. So that means, your first backups are fast, then it gets slower, and slower after the time.

The trick is not to abuse how many restore points you are saving. It does not matter how fast your disks are, eventually its so slow that backups will not complete anymore. A few years back, I was emailing back and forth with David one of the developers and creators of R1Soft about this.

The only way to avoid this is not using that many restore points.

R1Soft is very glitch with XFS formats, they didn't even supported it just a few months back and its still not working perfectly. XFS is the default now on CentOS 7. It works fine with ex4 but with XFS I would still wait.

R1Soft does not work properly over WAN either. So you need to have the backup servers in the same DC or very closely to the machines you are protecting. Example, it does no resume connections, so if your connection breaks it will not resume, and its awful if your latency is high (like with any block level backup).

I see some persons doing this mistake with R1Soft. They put their backup servers in another remote place (for data security) but doing backups over the Internet works only great for file level backup systems, not for block ones like R1soft.

well this is all you want, why take up server space holding backups from months back

cpremote takes incremental backups, so will only makes a fresh backup if you have made changes to your site and then it will only backup the files you have changed.

by taking a backup everyday, week and month, then you have 3 backups to restore from

If I remember correctly (haven't used them for a while now), cPanl's old backup system only had a month old backup once a month as every time it was replaced it went back to being 0 days old.

Not being able to specify the nuber of weeks or moth backups to keep does seem dangerous, unless you are sure that the monthly backups are always at least 1 month old