Daily Backups

RSYNC, Bacula and R1Soft are all pretty common in the hosting industry. What sort of infrastructure are we talking about here and are you looking to retain this data for a weekly or monthly retention to go back to?

Mainly for me it would to be back up a server to a backup solution and possibly allow clients to pull backups when needed. At the moment I am looking at getting a storage dedi and getting cpremote but wanted to know other options before making my decision.

I would like daily and weekly backups including sites, files, databases for clients.

If you want to allow your clients to have access what control panel are you using? Some have integrated options available already to make this process easier. You don't say what type of setup you have, and sorry, I haven't looked at your site, are you running your own private network and plan on setting it up locally or are you looking to set this up remotely through a third party service?

I have not launched, there is no website at the moment.

I am going to setup my cpanel server in dallas and I have my website in dallas I will also be providing dedicated servers.

Shared Web Hosting and Dedicated Servers are my tea so to speak. I might branch out in other locations. But for now my focus is central.

I am just wanting to provide good backup for shared web hosting clients. So cpRemote is looking good but I know there are other solutions. I could even use cpanel backup in WHM but the clients would not be in so much control as to pull their own backups if they did something.

cpRemote is just a GUI for RSYNC that integrates in with cPanel to give you and your clients better/easier management options. Also, for RSYNC make sure you get your servers on open Gbps ports so your backups/restores are less likely to saturate your connection. If you are reselling for one of the Dallas area providers ask them if they have their own system you can use that may be optimized for their network.

The simplest method to backup your services is to make a bash script which will export databases and compress files, put all together, crypt that archive then send it to a safe place! Make sure that your bash script is triggered by a cronjob once or twice daily and you're safe!

The simplest method to backup your services is to make a bash script which will export databases and compress files, put all together, crypt that archive then send it to a safe place! Make sure that your bash script is triggered by a cronjob once or twice daily and you're safe!

How's that going to help him offer access to his clients through cPanel?

There's a couple of other unmentioned ones in here
Jet Backup runs pretty well for the cost. I have this configured to dump MySQL databases every 6 hours and accounts daily ( so , 5 MySQL backups a day).

This can handle 'snapshots', which is slightly different from incremental in that only the files changed get backed up, not the entire account.

For < $5/month, this is a pretty decent deal, honestly . I use it, and the only problems I've had have been addressed very professionally by their team.

Then there's CP Remote. This runs about the same price, but mimics the cpanel backup functionality (including incrementals) and only lets you keep 7 backups. It's alright, but I moved up to JetBackup because it allows a good deal more flexibility, including multiple backup servers, multiple backups a day (hence 4 MySQL backups daily), etc.

I'd recommend R1SOft backups, you can retrieve backups easily from that. You can also configure the backups on your servers using scripts for disaster purpose.

We used to configure daily and weekly backups on server using scripts and use them when needed. :)

See, to me, this screams 'restore', not backup. I can't see a single case where it mentions that it does backups?

Maybe you're looking at the wrong page or you just didn't read it at all but backups are mentioned all over. But for your convenience:

Support for remote incremental backup & restore NEW!

Remote backup in form of snapshots sync modified files & save disk space NEW!

Is just a couple I found within seconds of opening the link.

Restore manager allows you to use cPanels backup system (then Restore Manager won't generate the backups) or configure a remote backup server to use in which case it will generate backups.

Last edited:
Jet Backup runs pretty well for the cost. I have this configured to dump MySQL databases every 6 hours and accounts daily ( so , 5 MySQL backups a day).

so go on their website and click order you are taken too https://www.jetapps.com/order which just throws up this

Not Found

The requested URL /order was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

which does not look good.

i have used cpremote for many years without issue and where do you get

only lets you keep 7 backups.

it lets you chose Daily Backup Retention,Weekly Backup Retention , Monthly Backup Retention for as long as you want and as many as you want. will also allow you to Enable 7 days Backup Retention (if selected, the daily and weekly backups will be skipped) along with Backup configuration files, Backup configuration dirs and Full mysql Database backup. you can also backup locally or to a remote location. clients also have access through cpanel to restore.