XEN vs OpenVZ

XEN is best as it supports for both Linux and Windows

XEN is best as it supports for both Linux and Windows.
some more useful points on that are -->
1. A Xen VPS will run its own isolated kernel, load its own kernel modules, use fully dedicated virtualized memory, I/O and scheduler, and will be just as stable and customizable as a dedicated server.
2. OpenVZ VPS are more cost-effective, easier to understand, and are usually much more effective than Xen as cheap VPS, due to having the extra resources available that a Xen VPS would be using to run its completely isolated environment.

Last edited:
OpenVZ uses a single patched Linux kernel , leads all VPS to share the same architecture and kernel version. It has Burstable RAM Which will be used only when its available on main server. If the RAM is full the VPS will stop running present processes for better performance. For startup clients, it is suitable.

XEN allows user to run several Operating Systems and Kernel Versions. XEN uses SWAP for Best performance ,which releases the RAM to use further in case of heavy load on RAM. XEN is more suitable for client who need Stable VPS and High performance.

OpenVZ with VSwap and you’re fine, Xen for dedicated resources to your VM. And if you wish to load up kernel modules such as CloudLinux, etc… go for KVM. But on top of this - it is always important to purchase solution from a reputable host.

Isolation comes with a performance hit.

OpenVZ will perform better if the host is not overselling the RAM.
VSWAP is better than burstable RAM, as it acts like SWAP and makes the customer upgrade to next level of RAM earlier.

If you purchase OpenVZ and actually use the Burstable RAM, you are affectively borrowing from a pool of shared RAM. And all the other customers can borrow too, which can lead to RAM shortage.
VSWAP is memory, but acts like disk, slowing down memory access by a very large factor when you use it, thus you prefer not to swap.

So if you know you need 4GB of RAM, you shouldn't buy 2GB RAM 2 GB Burstable, you should buy 4GB Guaranteed with whatever burstable, otherwise you're in trouble. Or 4GB of RAM with whatever VSWAP.

You get what you pay for.

Xen is better here, that you always know what your getting, but the machines need more omph to acheieve the same performance, so it no good getting an underpowered Xen box.

Xen always gave impression of "production" virtualization platform, at least for us.

OpenVZ is good too only if you know what is your host business model, overselling will only jeopardize your business one day. So, select your provider carefully if you are planning to host on OpenVZ.

OpenVZ is not bad at all, as it offers resource optimization on the physical server. However, some providers might oversell. XEN is quite good, but I would recommend anyone to use Kernel-based Virtual Machines or WMware virtualization.

Xen is better for customer, secure environment but OpenVZ is good for provider specially for overselling and more profit.

With Xen its so hard to oversell RAM so you can't even think about HDD overselling ;)

Although Xen and OpenVZ VPS hosting options are both open source server technology, there are enough key differences between them. XEN is faster then OpenVZ

Xen all the way. That is if your business model is to not oversell. Better performance, better support, and supports a wider range of OS's.

Just my two cents.

I would pick XEN Virtualization, It is hypervisor on microkernel which allows to work on multiple Operating system and results great performance.

If you are a customer, I'd explain it this way, in a nutshell:

OpenVZ is more budget friendly
Xen is more stable

OpenVZ servers can be oversold
Xen Servers cannot

OpenVZ is Linux only
Xen is Linux or Windows

But there is nothing wrong with an OpenVZ VPS and I highly recommended them

I have got vm on both platforums and I have used them in the past on both of them I am using KVM the now and the OVH platforum