WHMCS 7 Beta

bespokehosting

Anyone on the Beta program for WHMCS 7 and if so what are your thoughts?

Mine so far are no major additions, code is still unstable and only major improvement seems to be auto update (but I could see that causing issues for some folks)

Dean

Hello Dean,

Yes I'm using it, there has been some security enhancements and there is some nice stability updates.

Aye it's not a major upgrade though in my eyes was expecting more tbh.

It is, actually, you just don't see it.

V7 moves from laravel 4.1 to 5.2 . They probably should have done this with v6 (when they introduced laravel), but it is what it is.

V7 adds php7 support

V7 adds in auto-update support (for better or worse).

these are pretty major upgrades and updates, believe me.

Agreed, it's not a terribly huge upgrade from the customer perspective. From the developer perspective? Yeah, it's a nightmare (especially that laravel upgrade, since somewhere along the lines they chose to modify how functionality works).

I have a feeling, just like 6, in the .1 or .2 release, we'll see more upgrades focused on customers

It is, actually, you just don't see it.

V7 moves from laravel 4.1 to 5.2 . They probably should have done this with v6 (when they introduced laravel), but it is what it is.

V7 adds php7 support

V7 adds in auto-update support (for better or worse).

these are pretty major upgrades and updates, believe me.

Agreed, it's not a terribly huge upgrade from the customer perspective. From the developer perspective? Yeah, it's a nightmare (especially that laravel upgrade, since somewhere along the lines they chose to modify how functionality works).

I have a feeling, just like 6, in the .1 or .2 release, we'll see more upgrades focused on customers

Yeah agreed from a developer point of view some fairly major changes, just nothing that jumps out from a customer perspective if you get what I'm saying.

As always stated on the WHMCS forum, they will launch it when it is ready and not before.

Actually, not true in this case.
They've stated it will be launched this month.

Version 7 is anticipated to reach stable by the end of September. That's less than 2 months away.

Now, I'm pretty sure that was just someone speaking out his tail end, but that's an official post from someone inside of WHMCS.

Considering we've not even hit RC yet, I don't think the end of this month is going to happen, but that's just me.

Troll somewhere else. They put forth a time when it'd be released.

they have not given a date, they anticipate by the end Sept. is not a date, it is a hope it will be ready by then.

it depends on how the beta goes and looking at the forum it still has a few issues to sort out.

Not tried it yet but going to install later today on our dev area and see what it's like.

I'm really not sure on the auto update function yet. I can see it breaking a lot of integrations etc despite WHMCS saying it won't.

I'm not going to be in a rush to upgrade to it to be honest, doesn't seem to be any major new features apart from the auto update.

Harry

Not tried it yet but going to install later today on our dev area and see what it's like.

I'm really not sure on the auto update function yet. I can see it breaking a lot of integrations etc despite WHMCS saying it won't.

I'm not going to be in a rush to upgrade to it to be honest, doesn't seem to be any major new features apart from the auto update.

Harry
The auto update is optional, so you can still use FTP

Our first demo attempt of whmcs 7 Beta.
We tried the updater, just was to slow compared to Manuel update or softaculous updating whmcs

Going to test out 7 shortly before putting in to live production.

Based on the above, some great backend improvements but still lots of ground they need to be making.

Yeah agreed from a developer point of view some fairly major changes, just nothing that jumps out from a customer perspective if you get what I'm saying.

The best changes are in the backend (PHP 7 compatibility etc) but there are still some great customer features included. I like the whole spotlight TLD system specifically.

But I don't doubt WHMCS 7 has taken a lot of work to get to where it is now. I also imagine we'll start to see more customers features over the next several minor updates post-stable.