3. Pixabay
  4. Free Images
  5. Canva
  6. Flickr
  7. Getty Images
  8. Crello
  9. iStock
  10. Google Advanced Image Search

In my younger days when i was a freelance photojournalist i did work for a local newspaper who provided me with a camera (when cameras used film), but any pics taken using the provided camera belonged to the newspaper, so i would take pics with 2 cameras ( 1 belonging to me, so i could sell pics to wherever was willing to pay.)

There are a lot of sources for free images, like the ten listed just a couple of replies above this one.

Just do pay attention to the licenses that they are released under, a lot of Creative Commons images for example are free but do require attribution.

A consolidation of sites that I've verified as still online as of February 22, 2021

https://www.iconfinder.com/free_icons 316,879 free icons!
https://www.flaticon.com/ 4,098,000 vector icons
https://thenounproject.com/ Icons for everything - Over 3 million curated icons
http://www.freepik.com/free-icons +81,000 Free vector icons for personal and commercial use. Download in .PNG, .EPS and .SVG format.
https://www.vecteezy.com/ Download free vector art, stock photos & videos
www.picography.co Gorgeous, High-Resolution, Free photos that you can use however you like with our free license.
www.foodiesfeed.com Search in more than 1700 free food photos
www.isorepublic.com Thousands of High-Resolution CC0 Licensed Images
www.foter.com 335 Million Free Stock Photos
www.Pixabay.com Stunning free images & royalty free stock
Over 1.9 million+ high quality stock images, videos and music shared by our talented community.
www.Pxhere.com Free of copyrights under CC0. Do whatever you want.
www.Unsplash.com The internet’s source of freely-usable images. Powered by creators everywhere.
www.Pexels.com The best free stock photos & videos shared by talented creators.
www.negativespace.co Beautiful, High-Resolution Free Stock Photos. For personal or commercial use, all of our CC0 licensed images are completely free to use!
www.lifeofpix.com Free high resolution photography
www.vecteezy.com Download free vector art, stock photos & videos. Professional quality creative resources to get your projects done faster.
http://freeimages.com Find free stock images, ready for your projects
www.99Designs.com World-class design. At your service. 99designs is the go-to graphic design service by Vistaprint. We make it easy to work with professional, creative experts from around the world and build your brand through custom, memorable design.
www.gratisography.comFREE USE-AS-YOU-PLEASE PHOTOS & VECTORS THAT STAND OUT! Truly unique. Usually whimsy ;) Always free. PEACE OF MIND LICENSE WITHOUT COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS!
www.picjumbo.com Beautiful FREE stock photos. Download free stock photos, backgrounds and free high-resolution images for personal and commercial use
www.dreamstime.com 156 million stock photos, world's largest stock community, 34 million users. Royalty-Free Stock Photos for as low as $0.20USD/download or free
www.freepik.com Graphic resources for everyone. Find Free Vectors, Stock Photos and PSD
https://stocksnap.io Beautiful free stock photos. Hundreds of high resolution images added weekly. Free from copyright restrictions.
www.123rf.com Millions of Stock Images, Vectors, Footage and Audio Clips At Stunningly Low Prices

Last edited:
I have found some of my pictures on Google images marked as Getty images so be careful. You can google my name Lavoy Allison and see a picture of my pasted Chihuahua Taz. They are pictures people uplaod to Twitter and other places. I used one of those pictures in a book under my name and they took it down. I had a beautiful cannabis plant that I had posted a picture on Twitter that came up in Getty Google Images. After I used the cannabis picture on my book I have not seen it on the Google Images again.

Here are some sites where you can get free pictures
  • UNSPLASH.
  • MORGUEFILE.
  • PIXABAY.
  • STOCKVAULT.
  • PEXELS.
  • PICJUMBO.
  • PIKWIZARD.

• UNSPLASH.

Unsplash is great but you do need to check their licensing carefully as it has changed a few times recently and is a bit more restrictive than it used to be.

They have also recently been acquired by Getty, and while they say it won't change anything, it's worth keeping an eye on as well.

Unsplash is great but you do need to check their licensing carefully as it has changed a few times recently and is a bit more restrictive than it used to be.

They have also recently been acquired by Getty, and while they say it won't change anything, it's worth keeping an eye on as well.
yes
They want you to add attribution when you use any pics from their site

Google images is actually still quite bad at recognizing the same images, you can do this by reverse searching with google image and then with tineye and you will see the difference.

I have read recently that using the same images on websites, irrespective of the name will start counting as same content when it comes to SEO. Not sure how much effect that has as a flipped cropped sometimes even just renamed image escapes Google reverse image search ( and I'm not sure if this is what they use to search images per say) .

Of course, I have no doubt they will improve this, then penalize websites for duplicate content, and also at the same time start selling their own stock photos. :)

My advice get a phone take some images we have great phones these days and that can do well just need a bit of a creative eye for photography. To me, sites that did that always seemed to perform better in search and also just plain conversions anyway, just something real about it.

Google images is actually still quite bad at recognizing the same images, you can do this by reverse searching with google image and then with tineye and you will see the difference.

I have read recently that using the same images on websites, irrespective of the name will start counting as same content when it comes to SEO. Not sure how much effect that has as a flipped cropped sometimes even just renamed image escapes Google reverse image search ( and I'm not sure if this is what they use to search images per say) .

Of course, I have no doubt they will improve this, then penalize websites for duplicate content, and also at the same time start selling their own stock photos. :)

My advice get a phone take some images we have great phones these days and that can do well just need a bit of a creative eye for photography. To me, sites that did that always seemed to perform better in search and also just plain conversions anyway, just something real about it.
what annoys me is when companies use other people's images to deceive us.
recently I was looking for a child's firefighter outfit and found one on notthehighstreet personalised for £29.99 (not bad I thought), but then I spotted the exact same item on Amazon with personalised name for £18, but then I noticed it was the exact same image, and when I looked closer at the personalised one, you could see the personalised name was placed over the child's hair, so they just copied the amazon image and added a name badge to it, to me this is just a rip off

what annoys me is when companies use other people's images to deceive us.
recently I was looking for a child's firefighter outfit and found one on notthehighstreet personalised for £29.99 (not bad I thought), but then I spotted the exact same item on Amazon with personalised name for £18, but then I noticed it was the exact same image, and when I looked closer at the personalised one, you could see the personalised name was placed over the child's hair, so they just copied the amazon image and added a name badge to it, to me this is just a rip off
I hear you I've seen it a lot too.
Now look im no angel when it comes to this I do it when I have to but avoid it when I can.
It just violates the trust that's why I said I'd rather have a camera image that you can clean up in photoshop if you're not the greatest photographer. You better watermark that though because I've seen guys pay big money for product photoshoots to have all those images scraped and used on Chinese sites and amazon.

I hear you I've seen it a lot too.
Now look im no angel when it comes to this I do it when I have to but avoid it when I can.
It just violates the trust that's why I said I'd rather have a camera image that you can clean up in photoshop if you're not the greatest photographer. You better watermark that though because I've seen guys pay big money for product photoshoots to have all those images scraped and used on Chinese sites and amazon.
worst i see when you need a new logo for a website, you see all these 'create a free logo' websites, so you spend ages creating the perfect logo, but then when you finish you have to pay $30+ to download or use it otherwise it is watermarked, although some of the watermarks are that poor that these can be removed in any editing software

worst i see when you need a new logo for a website, you see all these 'create a free logo' websites, so you spend ages creating the perfect logo, but then when you finish you have to pay $30+ to download or use it otherwise it is watermarked, although some of the watermarks are that poor that these can be removed in any editing software
LOL. Do you know how many people come to us after having designed their logo after they get tricked like that? Also the same with something we call Shopify not sure if you guys have it in your parts of the world easy shop site builder, you spend time building your website and once you want to go live or start adding functionality you have to buy that functionality monthly, for life. Also another type of client we get a lot. Note: ( Our currency is not great against the Dollar so maybe in the US and countries with better currencies it's a viable option. )

PS didn't know about pxhere looks great bookmarked thanks steve !!

LOL. Do you know how many people come to us after having designed their logo after they get tricked like that? Also the same with something we call Shopify not sure if you guys have it in your parts of the world easy shop site builder, you spend time building your website and once you want to go live or start adding functionality you have to buy that functionality monthly, for life. Also another type of client we get a lot. Note: ( Our currency is not great against the Dollar so maybe in the US and countries with better currencies it's a viable option. )

PS didn't know about pxhere looks great bookmarked thanks steve !!
i never pay for these so-called free logos as some are far too easy to remove their weak watermarks. I did get logos from 1 site where all he asked was a link back to his site, but he had packed in now

I think one of the best memberships out there is Freepik. They have sales on memberships all the time and they are constantly adding new stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hostys