What's the advantage of a Paid SSL vs Free SSL?

Guys dont forget now Google and Mozilla require all sites to have an SSL cert or they mark sites as insecure even if you dont take payments.

I'm guessing insurance-wise, paid SSL certs are reliable.

There's absolutely no other benefit to using paid SSLs against free SSLs, unless of course you're after EV.

I'm guessing insurance-wise, paid SSL certs are reliable.

There's absolutely no other benefit to using paid SSLs against free SSLs, unless of course you're after EV.

you need to check a site using a Fee SSL and a site using a paid SSl and you will see a difference.
A paid SSL gives you Validation which a free SSL Does not.

Paid SSL is still better as it gives insurance and additional validation.

But for most people, Free SSL will work just fine as a core safety feature is there.

I don't know anyone who has had a payout from an SSL Certificate vendor. As it's only if they have done something wrong that you would ever get paid.

Basically it's the level of trust that you get.

FreeSSL vs something someone has taken the time to pay for (on the DV and OV certs)

Again a further level of trust with an EV certificate as the vendors has made efforts to conclude you are who you say you are.

From an encryption point of view, any cert of a given bit size, calculated with the same algorithms (RSA for example) will be equally secure.

I don't know anyone who has had a payout from an SSL Certificate vendor. As it's only if they have done something wrong that you would ever get paid.

Basically it's the level of trust that you get.

FreeSSL vs something someone has taken the time to pay for (on the DV and OV certs)

Again a further level of trust with an EV certificate as the vendors has made efforts to conclude you are who you say you are.

From an encryption point of view, any cert of a given bit size, calculated with the same algorithms (RSA for example) will be equally secure.

but you dont get validation with a free SSL

In core, Both Free / Self Signed SSL and Paid SSL all do the same Job. But it is the perception that matters. Any thing we get for free will be having that much value " after all it is free " attitude. That makes the difference and the badges and additional Validation feature is good for paid ssl as any one who has the control of domain or server can setup SSL with free one.

But with Paid you really need to pay and validate. So It adds some more authenticity in the minds of the laymen.

In core, Both Free / Self Signed SSL and Paid SSL all do the same Job. But it is the perception that matters. Any thing we get for free will be having that much value " after all it is free " attitude. That makes the difference and the badges and additional Validation feature is good for paid ssl as any one who has the control of domain or server can setup SSL with free one.

But with Paid you really need to pay and validate. So It adds some more authenticity in the minds of the laymen.

so if you come across a website selling adidas branded trainers for $5 then you would buy them as the site has the padlock (SSL cert).

Validations is in place for a reason to provide assurance the website is genuine as those setting up sites to sell fake goods will not pay for SSL Certs

Advantages of Paid SSL over Free SSL
  1. Appearance - visitors come to know the difference between Paid and free SSL, the trust factor is more with Paid SSL
  2. Validity - free SSL is for 30 to 60 days. Paid SSL can be purchased for 2 years.
  3. Warranty - With Paid SSL, an insured amount is assigned with domain.

Free SSL certificates fit into two categories. ‘Self-Signed Certificates’ are the ones in which there is no need for any Certificate Authority to sign them. They are signed by the issuer him/herself. On the other hand, the second type of free SSL certificate available in the market is signed by a Certificate Authorities (CA). As far as the level of encryption is concerned, a free SSL certificate provides the same level of encryption as the paid ones.
Paid SSL Certificates

To equip a website with these certificates, one must pay for it. A paid certificate is issued and signed by a trustworthy certificate authority (CA). You either get it directly from the Certificate Authority’s website or you can purchase it from 3rd party entities called ‘Resellers’.

Free SSL certificates fit into two categories. ‘Self-Signed Certificates’ are the ones in which there is no need for any Certificate Authority to sign them. They are signed by the issuer him/herself. On the other hand, the second type of free SSL certificate available in the market is signed by a Certificate Authorities (CA). As far as the level of encryption is concerned, a free SSL certificate provides the same level of encryption as the paid ones.
Paid SSL Certificates

To equip a website with these certificates, one must pay for it. A paid certificate is issued and signed by a trustworthy certificate authority (CA). You either get it directly from the Certificate Authority’s website or you can purchase it from 3rd party entities called ‘Resellers’.

A free SSL gives you no validation

There is no any difference in term of security but I saw that some Antivirus software replace free SSL with their own SSL while browsing website which is security threat to your website.

As I know only few people notice this change while browsing website. I was using Free Comodo SSL by cPanel and it was replaced by my Antivirus software.

Plus you will be need to monitor your free SSL on every 3 month to make sure that your SSL is renewed or not.

There is no any difference in term of security but I saw that some Antivirus software replace free SSL with their own SSL while browsing website which is security threat to your website.

As I know only few people notice this change while browsing website. I was using Free Comodo SSL by cPanel and it was replaced by my Antivirus software.

Plus you will be need to monitor your free SSL on every 3 month to make sure that your SSL is renewed or not.

with a paid SSL you get validation in the form or a ssl badge that you click and brings up the validation to prove that the website is genuine and passed all validation checks.
With a free SSL you get non of this, so have no way of knowing if the website is genuine or fake (especially when it comes to ecommerce). If someone running a genuine business website cannot afford $10 for a paid SSL then they do not deserve to be in business

$10 for a paid for SSL Cert will not prove who you are.
You will need an EV for that.

But let's remember the CA themselves add no security.

We generate the private key and CSR using the algorithm and key strength of our choosing, and they just sign it, making the certificate. (and lending us trust).

The benefits of EV over normal Class 1 Certs mainly only gains any traction when you are selling to people who understand such things, usually technical people.

How big this market is as a percentage is anyone's guess.

I personally love free certificates, they stop me from forgetting to renew mine, and I'm far too cheapskate to purchase an EV.