What's the advantage of a Paid SSL vs Free SSL?

Explain your reasoning, and provide links to back up your thoughts.

I know the old Google Checkout would only allow you to use them as a payment gateway if you had a paid SSL on your website.
As far as i am aware they were the only ones that actually checked your site to see if it even had an SSL certificate, even now payment gateways dont even ask or check if your sites have an SSL cert.

I know the old Google Checkout would only allow you to use them as a payment gateway if you had a paid SSL on your website.

Oooo.. that would be a good test. Wonder if anyone still uses Google Checkout (i never used it myself), but then these days nearly everyone does off-site processing to avoid extra PA-DSS and PCI Compliance issues.

Can't say I've ever used Google Checkout but it would be interesting to see if that's still the case. PCI compliance is a real pain, so I always recommend PayPal.

Oooo.. that would be a good test. Wonder if anyone still uses Google Checkout (i never used it myself), but then these days nearly everyone does off-site processing to avoid extra PA-DSS and PCI Compliance issues.

Google Checkout long gone, it was replaced with Google Wallet which banned web hosts from using it, but then this itself was closed down by Google.

These days you have

Paypal
iZettle
Payatrader
Stripe
etc.

So no need to pci compliant as you dont process the payments yourself

also in the UK gone are the days where a business had to get a merchant account with a bank and pay £200+ for a card machine and then pay a monthly fee.
You can now turn most smart phones into card terminals through apps

The advantage of paid SSL is the warranty, and depending on where you use the SSL, you wouldn't look unprofessional to your end user.

Free SSL has it's purposes:

Gaming, forms, Apps (think facebook, iOs, google, etc). These things are often not going to get you a monetary reward, but still need to provide secure data transmissions.

IF you run a business and take money, you need to act like a professional and get a real, valid certificate.

The validity of your certificate can be checked anywhere. Who issued it can be checked in most browsers. If you choose to use a 'free ssl', you're not worthy of people spending their money with you.

The advantage of paid SSL is the warranty, and depending on where you use the SSL, you wouldn't look unprofessional to your end user.

Ever heard of *ANYONE* cashing in on the warranty? It's never been done. The warranty is on the encryption itself, not the transaction. And to date, no SSL provider has ever had their encryption break. And now with 2048-bit encryption, the time to decrypt is even longer.

So, using "warranty" as an advantage doesn't fly.

IF you run a business and take money, you need to act like a professional and get a real, valid certificate.

Paid looks pretty, but at the core, how is it any different than free? It doesn't offer any additional protection.

Acting and being are two very different things - but we'll leave that for another discussion :)

Free SSL certificates have only a Domain Validation (DV) option while paid SSL certificates come with OV & EV options, which are absolutely necessary for protecting business websites.

I think a paid ssl certificate gives you more security then a free ssl certificate.
Paid ssl certificate has more features then a free one and paid ssl certificate is more trusted then free ssl when we make payments and anything something like that.

Free SSL provides just like a paid one, but there is very small difference, Here is why:

Premium certificates are signed and issued by the leading trustable certificate authorities (CAs). You get it straight from the certification authority (CAs) website, or you could buy handily from corporations.

Some benefits of Paid SSL certificates are:

Well Recognised.
More Choice.
Longer Renewals.
All Server Compatibility, etc.

Free SSL provides just like a paid one, but there is very small difference, Here is why:

Premium certificates are signed and issued by the leading trustable certificate authorities (CAs). You get it straight from the certification authority (CAs) website, or you could buy handily from corporations.

Some benefits of Paid SSL certificates are:

Well Recognised.
More Choice.
Longer Renewals.
All Server Compatibility, etc.

Free ones dont give you the validation as you get with paid ones

SSL Certificates are a must have feature on your blogs but free and paid totally depends on the amount of data a user is pushing on your website.

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant to say, if your website require just the email, name and basic stuffs or you are running a ecommerce website, which require sensitive information like credit card details.
Correct if site is doing payment processing or requiring credit card details, paid SSL is must.