What support methods do you offer and what do your customers prefer most?

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all,

With E-Mail, Telephone, Instant Messangers, Web-Based HelpDesks, Forums, Knowledge Bases, Online Chats - what methods do you offer your customers? Do they have an unlimited access to those support channels?

As a customer myself, of course, I prefer Telephone, Online Chats and HelpDesk (if the response is quick) for immediate help. Existing of other channels is a great plus.

Now the question is: What most of your clients prefer?

Best,

This is what I offer to me clients... :D

- Phone Support
- Snail Mail Support
- Online Medium Chat Support (ICQ/YIM/AIM/MSN/IRC)
- Online Site Chat Support (eg: LiveResponse, PHPLive!)
- E-mail Support
- HelpDesk Support
- Request Call-Back Support
- SMS Support (Used to offer, now only to people in France and possibly Europe)

They all pick:
- Online Medium Chat Support (ICQ/YIM/AIM/MSN/IRC)
- E-mail Support
- HelpDesk Support

I think I offer too many options, but it's nice. :D
Everything, no matter what, is replied to in at least 12 hours except snail mail which takes about three weeks since my company is in France.

Yeah. My clients don't use the other support options, but it makes them feel comfortable for the fact that it is there.

Some hosts just give e-mail and that's it, so they are less comfortable. Plus since I actually give the office address rather than a POBox, they are also more comfortable since my company actually has an office and gives out the proper address, etc.

Yeah. A lot of companies, and I do mean a lot, actually prefer to offer things such as e-mail support and help desk support only since it is a lot easier, and better if you have employees.

Plus it's simple, it's one or two methods at maximum - and there is no hassle, what so ever.

Clients do feel comfortable with lots of ways, yes it's true.
But what can one do? Not a lot of companies can actually afford to offer such methods, nor do companies want to.
I myself am stopping to only help desk - I'm upgrading to a new system, new network and new help desk - but cutting all other methods of support so I can lower package costs and also cope with prices of upgrading network and system.

You have to cut corners here and there, but you need to add things over there and behind that couch so you make sure not to compremise anything at all. You need to still be able to offer the same great support, or better, but in fewer methods as well as in easier methods for your clients.

Lots of companies just offer e-mail support since it's easy and quick. Others use help desk. A lot of companies don't like using the chat methods, etc. due to the fact there are no real logs, I mean, I can easily in a minute make a chat log saved by Trillian or GAIM - so that helps none. You cannot manually create a ticket in the help desk, or send an e-mail from your clients account if he uses his Yahoo or AIM account - the reason a lot of companies prefer it for security, etc.

Yes, that's very true.

I know quite a few hosts who offer about ten different support
methods, yet the clients always pick either on-line chat via AIM,
MSN, ICQ, YIM, Jabber or some other client. Then they go for
e-mail and then for Help Desk.

A lot of clients also only choose a company if they offer on-line
chat support via some on-line medium, since they feel more
"secure" than without it. :rolleyes:

I offer email, instant messenger (aim, icq, msn, yahoo), telephone, and forum support.

Email and instant messengers are used equally. I'm also getting a lot of phone inquiries lately too.