What helpdesk do you use and do you like it?

BlackStorm

Hey,
What helpdesk script are you using currently and do you like it?
Does it do everything you need for your helpdesk or is there anything you would like added/changed?

Im using perldesk which I think is great, its not too complex for both the end user and admin and its easy to customize.

I dont think there is anything i need or want added to it right now so its perfect for me

Currently I do not have any helpdesk, but in the past I've used ClientExec(I believe) integrated one in the billing software.

I plan to hopefully make a custom client manager with everything, not sure when.

I have tried a few, didn't really find them to be that great or worth the money. We currently use a regular formmail form for users to send problems to us via email. The email is then emailed to an account and a msg is also sent to my tech's and my cell phone letting us know there has been a sales email, support email, abuse email or billing email...

Then we check the email, whoever is lucky enough to get it responds and uploads the original and the response to a directory on one of our server so we all have access to the email incase we need it later on.

as far as client information, it is kept on a simple database that I developed using php/mysql and the database is made so I can easily sync it to my pocketpc....

That sounds like a good idea but most helpdesks do what you are doing at the minute really.
All the clients does is submits a ticket through a form, which is most likely like what you are doing, then an alert is sent to all support reps which normally includes the helpdesk question as well as a link to the ticket.

Then all support reps can reply to it so even if one replies, another can reply if they can help anymore.

You can then close the ticket and save it if you want, you can also add it to a knowledge base so other customers having the same problem can do a search and find the question and solution.

Would it not be easier and more effective for you to use a helpdesk script?

I like the idea of the database you coded, especially being able to sync it to your pocketPc

I would have to agree with Mark right now. I feel there isnt a need for a ticket support system until you have multiple techs working at different locations at the same time. I would use a ticket system to make it easier on my techs... not my clients.

Right now I just stick to my good ole community forum with a support section and I also have a support contact form like mark mentioned.

PerlDesk = was a nice script that was free in the past. now they want like $199 to have the script and customize the header to your company logo...etc

Well for PierHosting.com, I have acquired a parter willing to help with funding for our servers and such.. also he is going to program us a little support center so we can easily keep track of our clients and billing etc.. :)

Yeah he seems to know what he is talking about though, so that is good, can't wait to see the finished result.. hope he starts soon :p

We are now looking at EdgePanel to refer to customers of our outsourced support services since it seems to be one large bag of tricks. :)

Roj

We're using Perlbill as a combination helpdesk / client billing system. It isn't great, but it will work until we have enough money to hire a programmer to integrate the apps we want and get us the overall functionality we need.

I wouldn't recommend Perlbill to people unless you or someone on your staff knows how to tinker with Perl and customize the script to your liking (the support isn't the best). It also isn't always an "easy-out-of-the-install" package. There have been problems with the documentation, problems with support response times, problems with neverending updates (meaning re-customizing everything *again*)...gah.

NOTE: All comments about support are based on my last experience with support, which was over a year ago. It's possible that they've gotten their act in gear in the intervening time. I just know that I took the basic script, got it to a workable state, and will change at a later point in time (or if a security flaw is found.)

We currently use ClientExec and are happy with its simplicity. I've used other tt systems and they are too bulky for what we need. Customers seem to like the simplicity as well.

I would like to have email piping for it (supposedly will be out in the next release) and maybe enhance it whereas you could have users submit tickets without needing to login. That would be a bonus. There only drawback is there rollouts. They are very slow, too far apart and can't stick to dates...

The billing area is also shaping up nicely, as well. But I won't get into that as this is a TT discussion.

my $.02

I'm using OneorZero ( http://helpdesk.oneorzero.com/ )

Free, and does the job, one feature I really like is the ability to use a "paging" function, so that as the admin I can set a threshold to receive an email about a trouble ticket.

Like this:

Lets say I have three urgency levels that a user can assign to a trouble ticket, "Whenever", "Very Important", and "I need to change my underpants"

I can set up the help desk so that if I get a trouble ticket marked "Very Important" or higher, I get an email alert.

Nice, since I only check the system a couple of times a day.

The other feature I like is the ability to dump help desk answers into a knowledge base. It has cut down on the phone calls dramatically.

The only downside - not easily customizable.

John

Just started using the Kayako help desk and I have to say I love it. I don't have a base for comparision though as this is the first one I have used but it was easy to set up with all my stuff and most important the clients love it.