What accounting software do you use?

We use Xero with the EdgeHosting WHMCS to Xero plugin.

Xero costs £30 a month and the plugin is £60 a year, but it works flawlessly and requires very little time and effort - all invoices are exported to Xero with the daily cron, then every few days we reconcile the transactions with our bank account. It also lets us file our VAT return directly from the dashboard, so it effectively cost neutral after paying accountancy fees.

WHMCS is fully supportive tool to work for billing and management. I will also go with this. I dont think there is any other tool which is as user friendly as it is.

But I'm waiting for another tool to compete with WHMCS.

I dont use any software for billing and accounting for my hosting business as still it is growing and excel sheets and downloaded invoices from WHMCS do it all.

Freeagent is what I use for my accounting, makes it a lot easier and it's cheap in comparison to getting an accountant. But as others have mentioned if you want a 'free' method, you can just download invoices and log income/outgoings in Excel sheets :)

Choosing the best accounting software depends on the size of your business, company budget, level of experience, company requirements, income flow, and rest other factors.

But if you are running a small business, I would suggest you use QuickBooks for your business since the accounting needs of the small business is not so complex.

And QuickBooks can be the perfect choice as it has been designed in such a way that anyone with zero accounting experience can easily manage their accounts on their own.

With QuickBooks, all you need to do is input your all the details, and let the accounting take place everything automatically.

Last edited:
Currently I do not use any software to handle accounting . But I managed to create custom made excel sheet to handle the accounting , which is suitable for my current need.

I have been using Xero for quite some time now. It's been a good experience, and I can also do manual invoicing for custom orders there. My accountant is also happy with the reports it generates, so it gets another plus.

I tried Quickbooks Online originally, and I just couldn't get a handle on it. The configuration was a little too much.