Thinking of Building a Data Center?

A lot of money is at risk =P, I know a few DC are going bankrupt. Right now is not the time to build a DC ^^

Right now is the time to buy a bankrupt data center. If you have the cash and your in need, there is a lot of good deals if your flexible on location. You can pick up some at 80 to 90% off.

You also need to remember that being situated across multiple power grids is all very well and good but you need to check the fibre connectivity in the area you want - is there a multiple carrier presence nearby or will you have to pay to have routes laid in.

Fiber is huge right now and prices have dropped dramatically - at least in Saint Louis. Our eyes are always open for opportunities to purchase distressed data centers.

I always thought of making a data center. Im thinking in another way though. What i want to do is buy land then make a little building and just have about 14 racks in the basement with cooling systems and more and on the 1st and 2nd floor I will be running my own hosting company have staff come in to work. More like something like that i would need to start planing now. Im only 15 and im looking to start this datacenter thing out around 27.

Imo 14 racks is not enough to warrant a full data centre - your better off with a large cage or custom suite.

I always thought of making a data center. Im thinking in another way though. What i want to do is buy land then make a little building and just have about 14 racks in the basement with cooling systems and more and on the 1st and 2nd floor I will be running my own hosting company have staff come in to work. More like something like that i would need to start planing now. Im only 15 and im looking to start this datacenter thing out around 27.
I love that you're thinking ahead and have set goals. Have you formulated a business plan on how to get from today to what you dream of when you're 27?

I love that you're thinking ahead and have set goals. Have you formulated a business plan on how to get from today to what you dream of when you're 27?

Mainly what im thinking of is going to school now im in H.S 10 Grade last year I took Cisco as a class and i liked it so that got me into the computers and Online hosting industry and now my plan is to get a good small shared and reseller hosting company running then when i get big and have a big income ill save the money and by the time im 27 and im still interested in the hosting industry im going to build a building for my Company and run staff members out of there and my own datacenter in the basement with high tech stuff. Then the 1st floor of the building would be just for support for phone support, live support and even ticket support.

Then the 2nd floor will be for the Management in my company I will be also running top of the line computers for my staf and i.

Thats why people colocate or sub out space from facilities... They get the same benefits but don't have to shell out all that Capex. :)

Data Centers are also evolving, as more and more companies are switching to blade servers and using virtualisation technology, to reduce costs. In the future you won't need large data centers.

I think T-mobile just finished building two data centers, one in washington and the other in new york...hell I believe the on in new york is their biggest yet...so obliviously their still needed even if the cloud is getting bigger.

Nice post, Seems like totally a lot of money would need to go into the company // DC. And I recently read that its hard to take out a loan to build a Data Center.

The costs for just a single UPS can range from the low thousands to 170,000 depending on make/model, used, not used, etc.
Exactly, and this is something we address every Monday in forecasting. Infrastructure costs can add up very quickly, but quite often the prospect will foot part or all of the buildout themselves.

Right now in this economy and market, best bet would be to purchase a ready made data center. DRL sells turn key data centers usually and they have some nice properties too.

Theres alot involved, From licenses to contracts for dedicated high speed connections. Not even including the overhead for servers, equipment & other hardware.

What size of datacenter are you looking, or maybe starting with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zentekinfosoft