Start hosting company!

resellermaster

Unless you have a huge investment to be spent on marketing & support and understand the hosting business, its better to start small. However small you may start, you would need at least $1000 including budget for 6-9 months, till you turn operationally profitable or at least breakeven.

You may choose one of the many providers (reseller, vps & dedicated) who provide end-user support for their resellers. Identify the best among them and start. Choose the one with good reputation and do remember that all three types of hosting need not be at the same place. Always choose managed vps/dedicated, regardless on how good you are at technical side. Route your support directly to the provider or have a help while you are sleeping. Don't ever compromise on support.

Don't hesitate to switch providers, if you find recurring issues.

Use forums and social media for your marketing and discover some guerrilla marketing tricks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really sure I can agree with all of this...

If you are just renting a VPS from somewhere, have someone else 'managing' it, and then passing all of the support to whoever you have bought it from, what possible reason do you have for customers to buy a service from you, when they can surely get it directly from whoever you are getting it from for a lower price?

I don't see that as running a hosting company, that sounds much more like just being a sales channel for someone else to me.

I disagree.

When i started in 1999 i had £100. I got a cheap reseller plan, advertised on ebay and hosting forums and built up a client base and a good reputation, then i moved onto a VPS. I ran my hosting business as a 1 man band until 2018 when i close it down.
So you dont need $1000 to run for 6 to 9 months.

As per my suggestion, everything depends on marketing efforts, nowadays competitions increases and companies trying to invest money in Digital Marketing, they try to focus on Social Media as well Search engine, So as per the conclusion is ROI completely dependent on your monthly strategy and implementation

Sorry, but I disagree!
Starting a web hosting business doesn't require a huge investment, you are not going to set up a data center in the first place. You just need to hire a reseller hosting and you are good to go! The success depends on your own individual efforts, focus, and consistency on your business and marketing/networking.

Sorry, but I disagree!
Starting a web hosting business doesn't require a huge investment, you are not going to set up a data center in the first place. You just need to hire a reseller hosting and you are good to go! The success depends on your own individual efforts, focus, and consistency on your business and marketing/networking.
Exactly. after 2 years out of the hosting game I am starting again from scratch.

My costs so far

$75 for website/logo/domain/Integration
$25 a mth for VPS (inc. cpanel)
$6 a mth for softaculous and sitepad
$5a mth for Jetbackup
$3 for backup VPS

already had lifetime Blesta licence paid $39 for renewed support and updates

so not a fortune

We are working on a solution for this called "Host In A Box". Includes the following:

- WHMCS: This is a VPS with whmcs installed and basic configuration taken care of. VPS and services hardened. whmcs should not be on a shared server... ever.

- Basic shared server: 4GB ram 2 x HF (high Frequency) CPU, 80GB nVMe. Comes with Litespeed, CloudLinux, Imunify360, Acronis backups (Imunify integrated) Cyberpanel, kernel care. Basic configs done.

- Daily snapshots of all VPS.

- Optional: Disable mail on shared server and use standalone server running iRedMail.

That's it in a nutshell. You can get incredible density with this setup with very little impact on performance and the shared server you can scale up as you need. Still ironing out the pricing on it but looks to be around $200/mo if you manage the servers yourself. You can expect 15-20 sites per GB of ram so it pays itself off pretty fast.

For starting a web hosting business, reseller hosting is the best and most affordable option. With reseller hosting, you don't need much knowledge about server management. Also the web hosting provider also helps to manage your reseller hosting account.

Starting a web hosting business is an easy thing. If you are a beginner, Just start with shared hosting business. So you don't need to worry about investing a lot of money, Just promote the business in online forums, Digital media and wait for some time. You will get customers on the go.

Another way is to looking for a reseller hosting and pay for it. they will take care of all the issues and management of service.

If you are an expert in the hosting business, You can start your own shared hosting, VPS Hosting, and all related service on your own.

Starting a web hosting business is an easy thing. If you are a beginner, Just start with shared hosting business. So you don't need to worry about investing a lot of money, Just promote the business in online forums, Digital media and wait for some time. You will get customers on the go.

Another way is to looking for a reseller hosting and pay for it. they will take care of all the issues and management of service.

If you are an expert in the hosting business, You can start your own shared hosting, VPS Hosting, and all related service on your own.
You cant start a hosting business on a shared plan as a shared plan is just 1 domain, you need a min. reseller plan to allow you to sell hosting.

You cant start a hosting business on a shared plan as a shared plan is just 1 domain, you need a min. reseller plan to allow you to sell hosting.
How about using a server with a control panel and use the server for hosting domains inside it. It's like shared hosting and you don't need to invest more money for this. For VPS selling, You need a reseller to sell VPS or else take a dedicated server, install a host control panel like Virtualizor and start selling OpenVZ and KVM VPS.

How about using a server with a control panel and use the server for hosting domains inside it. It's like shared hosting and you don't need to invest more money for this. For VPS selling, You need a reseller to sell VPS or else take a dedicated server, install a host control panel like Virtualizor and start selling OpenVZ and KVM VPS.
That's a VPS.

these are the steps in webhosting

1) Shared Hosting - Single domain
2) Reseller Hosting - you sell or provide individual Cpanel accounts which are shared hosting as all share the same IP address
3) VPS - semi-dedicated server where you sell reseller and shared hosting
4) Dedicated Server - a fully dedicated server where you can sell VPS, reseller, and shared hosting
5) Cloud Hosting - A special marketed setup

You cannot sell hosting through a shared plan as this is only a plan set up on 1 domain name ONLY

For VPS selling, You need a reseller to sell VPS

I would suggest you actually research and learn about hosting before you try and run a hosting business as you CANNOT sell VPS by taking a reseller plan. it is the other way round.

I don’t think I need huge capital to buy a Reseller Hosting package. But after that, you really need a serious amount if you don’t want to use it for hobby purposes. Overall, start-up capital is really low, but if you are fully determined, you will definitely need capital! Because of 1-2 forum posts, people won’t start ordering in bulk. When will the amount invested pay off? It depends on how much money you are willing to invest.

Unless you have a huge investment to be spent on marketing & support and understand the hosting business, its better to start small. However small you may start, you would need at least $1000 including budget for 6-9 months, till you turn operationally profitable or at least breakeven.

You may choose one of the many providers (reseller, vps & dedicated) who provide end-user support for their resellers. Identify the best among them and start. Choose the one with good reputation and do remember that all three types of hosting need not be at the same place. Always choose managed vps/dedicated, regardless on how good you are at technical side. Route your support directly to the provider or have a help while you are sleeping. Don't ever compromise on support.

Don't hesitate to switch providers, if you find recurring issues.

Use forums and social media for your marketing and discover some guerrilla marketing tricks.
Tips :
Find your niche. In the web hosting business, competition is fierce.
Research your competitors. Next, you want to differentiate yourself from other hosting companies in the market segment.
Choose your server type.
Create a business model.
Activate customer service and support.

When i saw this topic it was interesting, since we are 1 year old we have hundreds of customers, it's about not bull shitting your way to success, be up front with your customers. We even tell people on our web site all our cloud services are run on Linode. Linode has a great rep so we are happy to align ourselves with them. Sure some might head to them instead of us but people respect the hustle.

When i saw this topic it was interesting, since we are 1 year old we have hundreds of customers, it's about not bull shitting your way to success, be up front with your customers. We even tell people on our web site all our cloud services are run on Linode. Linode has a great rep so we are happy to align ourselves with them. Sure some might head to them instead of us but people respect the hustle.
Yes when I ran my hosting for 18 years I was always upfront with my clients, even though i closed my hosting in 2018 i still keep in touch with several of the clients, and some still come to me for help and advice

Starting a hosting company can be a complex and challenging endeavor. There are many things to consider, such as the type of hosting services you will offer, the infrastructure and hardware you will need, and the level of support and customer service you will provide. It's important to thoroughly research and plan before starting a hosting company to ensure that you have the necessary resources and expertise to succeed. You may want to consider consulting with a business advisor or lawyer to help you get started.

Starting a hosting company can be a complex and challenging endeavor. There are many things to consider, such as the type of hosting services you will offer, the infrastructure and hardware you will need, and the level of support and customer service you will provide. It's important to thoroughly research and plan before starting a hosting company to ensure that you have the necessary resources and expertise to succeed. You may want to consider consulting with a business advisor or lawyer to help you get started.
Yes, the best way to start, but sadly you see many on eBay who has purchased a master or alpha reseller plans and then offer unlimited everything hosting for $2 a year and call themselves hosts too many people fall for these and then come to use moaning they have lost all files, etc. and can we help get them back when the so called host suddenly vanishes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saranya Subramaniam