So Apparently, I'm Famous

Sidular

It's news to me, but apparently an online podcast and community with 70,000 listeners has been referencing my video game development projects, and actually asked if they could interview me on-air.

Aside from the fact that I have a major case of stage fright, and imaging 70,000 people in their underwear would probably give me nightmares, I really wouldn't have much to talk about. They're interested in doing a Q&A for a game that I'm developing. The problem is, I have no freaking idea what this game is going to be about, and have mostly just been developing it to kill time.

So yeah, kinda freaking out right now, haha.

Anyways, have any of you ever had to speak in front of an audience?
Mind sharing your story?

It's news to me, but apparently an online podcast and community with 70,000 listeners has been referencing my video game development projects, and actually asked if they could interview me on-air.

Aside from the fact that I have a major case of stage fright, and imaging 70,000 people in their underwear would probably give me nightmares, I really wouldn't have much to talk about. They're interested in doing a Q&A for a game that I'm developing. The problem is, I have no freaking idea what this game is going to be about, and have mostly just been developing it to kill time.

So yeah, kinda freaking out right now, haha.

Anyways, have any of you ever had to speak in front of an audience?
Mind sharing your story?

Happened to me once. I set up a website for my town ( off my own back) so local businesses could advertise and local people to meet/chat etc. more community based, so i contacted local free paper who came took a photo of me at the PC with the website displayed and asked a few questions ( no big deal), but then when this was delivered i got a call from local radio station wanting to interview me live on air with Q&A session. No problem i said (shaking in my boots), just send me a copy of the questions you want to ask, so i can prepare my answers fully, which they did and a few days later i was on air and apart from their questions they decided to have an open mic. session where listeners could call in.

So my solution is if they want and Q & A session, just ask them to send you the questions they want to ask, so you can prepare.

Congrats on the interview proposal. The first time or two on stage in the spot light is always nerve racking, but you get used to it.

Similar to Terry, I've always requested the questions up front. Open mic's are nice and it allows you to think on your feet, but for specifics be sure to get at least a few questions up front.

Also, be cautious of how much time you'll be speaking - it's one thing to give a 5-10 minute interview - it's something totally different to do a 1 hour presentation or webinar type deal.

Have a waterbottle handy - don't drink, just sip and you'll do just fine! Maybe they'll podcast it, and if they do, be sure to post the link here so we can see how you did :)

Also, be cautious of how much time you'll be speaking - it's one thing to give a 5-10 minute interview - it's something totally different to do a 1 hour presentation or webinar type deal.

Have a waterbottle handy - don't drink, just sip and you'll do just fine!

Yes be cautious of this especially if its just a local community station, the last 1 i did was meant to be a 10 minute interview with a 15 minute open mike, yes the 10 minute interview went well, but the open mike lasted 1hr as it got that much attention, i was then offered a once a week 1 hr open mike slot and was told this would be for 1 month only (voluntary - so i was never paid), well 2 years on i decided to give up the slot due to other commitments.

I've never really had to do this so can't speak from experience though be sure to send us a link to it if one becomes available, would love to see how you did :).

As mentioned above to make things easier for you ask for the questions, prepare your answers and you should be fine :) - The first couple questions might still be nerve racking though I assume you'll get comfortable after a few questions.

If you're getting this much attention for something you didn't put a lot of thought into, you're a natural at it. Keep that in mind and remember that people are looking up to you. It makes it hard to say the wrong thing when people expect you to be right.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Sadly, I denied the interview request. I'm just not ready for anything like that.
I have an open invitation, though. So if I ever change my mind, I'll let you guys know, and will definitely post a link to the podcast if/when I end up doing it.

If you're getting this much attention for something you didn't put a lot of thought into, you're a natural at it. Keep that in mind and remember that people are looking up to you. It makes it hard to say the wrong thing when people expect you to be right.

A lot of thought went into the answers for the questions they sent me, also knowing what the site was about and what users could do when they register on the site etc. helps in the open mike session, so though and work went into this.

On radio it all comes down to how you present yourself and how knowledgeable you are about the discussed subject

I haven't been in a similiar situation but as ex-game developer I would suggest you to start working on your game and thinking about the genre and the basic ideas and features of the game. Most game developers have the problem that the are not popular enough to get motivated with their projects. You have a great chance there and if you have been thinking about a game developer career in the future you shouldn't miss this!

You could also look for more developers so you could share ideas between devs and get further with it faster. You could sign up on some indie community websites if you want to find more devs.

If you are going to take the interview anytime in the future you should think of some questions and answers to them in advance. Having a clear idea of what your game will be about would help of course.

I haven't been in a similiar situation but as ex-game developer I would suggest you to start working on your game and thinking about the genre and the basic ideas and features of the game. You could also look for more developers so you could share ideas between devs and get further with it faster. You could sign up on some indie community websites if you want to find more devs.

If you are going to take the interview anytime in the future you should think of some questions and answers to them in advance. Having a clear idea of what your game will be about would help of course.

I actually intend to create a full-blown studio later in the year. The idea is simple; hire talented developers to create my ideas, and pay them with an unlimited supply of doughnuts. (seriously, the whole doughnut thing I've mentioned in my 'introduction' thread wasn't a joke... well, it kind of was, but still)

Anyways, thank you (and everyone else who has posted) for the wonderful advice.
Still though, if I can at all avoid it, I plan to never speak in front of a crowd, especially one that has more than 5 people. (let alone 70,000)

If and when it comes down to it, I'll just hire someone to speak on my behalf. You know, an actual professional? :p

I actually intend to create a full-blown studio later in the year. The idea is simple; hire talented developers to create my ideas, and pay them with an unlimited supply of doughnuts. (seriously, the whole doughnut thing I've mentioned in my 'introduction' thread wasn't a joke... well, it kind of was, but still)

Anyways, thank you (and everyone else who has posted) for the wonderful advice.
Still though, if I can at all avoid it, I plan to never speak in front of a crowd, especially one that has more than 5 people. (let alone 70,000)

If and when it comes down to it, I'll just hire someone to speak on my behalf. You know, an actual professional? :p

You should front your fears of speaking infront of a crowd, especially whilst you are still small - save your money invest wisely, no need for an official spokesperson just yet ;).

Why not just go for it, you never know you might like it after the first one and would be up for going for more interviews. If you know the questions, are ready then you should do fine.

I plan to never speak in front of a crowd, especially one that has more than 5 people. (let alone 70,000)

not that daunting in a radio studio, just blank everything out and just think you are chatting to 1 person (presenter) and chatting will become natural.

I hate public speaking ( getting up and seeing all them people looking at you), but in a radio station you have a presenter and a mic and thats all

Last edited:
not that daunting in a radio studio, just blank everything out and just think you are chatting to 1 person (presenter) and chatting will become natural

It's the thought of having thousands of invisible people listening to my every word that freaks me out. I'd probably prefer presenting at an actual conference, as I'd be able to see the people reacting to my every (stuttered) word. My imagination will be the death of me. :p

Anyways, thank you for all of the advice. Even though I in no way intend to ever speak in front of a large audience, at least now I have some (albeit minor) motivation if the situation shall ever arise. :)

It's the thought of having thousands of invisible people listening to my every word that freaks me out.
well thats what i feared when i was asked, but say they want you for a 2pm slot, go along in the morning and ask to sit in the mock studio (most stations will have one) - this is a fully kitted setup, but not connected to the network, so new presenters get the feel before let loose on public, even have someone go through the questions with you, then when the slot is ready you wont be so freaked out and before you know it you will forget the listeners

If you don't want to go live on air and they still want to get you on the radio station maybe ask if they can do a pre-recorded session which they put out later on? That way you can see it, edit it etc... before it goes out.

Not sure if they can do this (or would want to) but just a thought.

If you don't want to go live on air and they still want to get you on the radio station maybe ask if they can do a pre-recorded session which they put out later on? That way you can see it, edit it etc... before it goes out.

Not sure if they can do this (or would want to) but just a thought.

Not sure how this whole radio thing got into play. The interview would have been on a live podcast online.

Thank you all for the wonderful tips and advice. :)

Its scary as hell. I once ran for office and when I was asked to speak at a candidates forum I felt like dropping out of the race haha. I made it through the forum. Make sure you have a bottle of water in front of you -- you'll get a good case of cotton mouth.

Huh, I didn't think a podcast would be considered to be a type of radio broadcast, but alright then. Thanks for the info. :)

It's a direct correlation. While you can do some extra things with PodCasts when viewed on a computer such as PDF attachments etc etc, the general form of a podcast is that's a free to listen/watch show delivered via RSS feed - often used on an iPod or iTunes by many people. A podcast in it's general form is broadcast audio. There are Video Podcasts also but have taken on the term "vodcast".

From wikipedia;
The first application to make this process feasible was iPodderX, developed by August Trometer and Ray Slakinski. Since the 1930s there have been radio talk shows and news programs. Today, through the evolution of the internet capabilities, along with cheaper hardware and software, audio podcasts are doing what was historically done through radio broadcast stations.