Reseller hosting worth it to sale?

Regardless the growth of other hosting services, shared hosting and reseller hosting will always be needed, and also the request for reliable ones will raise due to lots of bad services being offered.

I definitely think it is. We started offering paid hosting plans as a reseller and bought our own servers as things got developed. Also, for some locations, instead of deploying your own server and finding a datacenter to co-locate, buying a reseller plan from a reputable can be a cheaper and good option.

Hi,

Now a days cloud is growing like anything. There are hosting services like VPS and cloud with very cheap rate. Is it wort to sale reseller packages for linux and windows hosting?
Well we have been selling reseller hosting for many years and we haven't seen any decrease in normal reseller sales but over the years we have seen that huge decrease in normal shared hosting orders which are now replaced by cloud or WordPress hosting.

Play with this and you'll get an idea;

https://www.google.com/trends/ :D

So in a nutshell, if you are starting out try to focus on word press hosting, cloud or non US VPS plans than focusing on traditional shared plans.

Last edited:
Well we have been selling reseller hosting for many years and we haven't seen any decrease in normal reseller sales but over the years we have seen that huge decrease in normal shared hosting orders which are now replaced by cloud or WordPress hosting.

So in a nutshell, if you are starting out try to focus on word press hosting, cloud or non US VPS plans than focusing on traditional shared plans.

Not just Wordpress or Cloud. Customers are searching for very specific services nowadays. magento hosting, WP hosting, joomla hosting, etc....

so want do you think Wordpress Hosting is.

Wordpress is ONLY a script which will be hosted on shared hosting, so you are offering shared hosting with a preinstalled script

Interesting thread - and yes, I think there will be a need for reseller hosting into the foreseeable future. Instead of encountering a security risk by stacking add on domains on a shared hosting account, reseller hosting is the next best logical step up, separating one account from another. It's cost effective and serves its purpose. A managed VPS would be needed if you want more control of your resources.

Reseller hosting is not only best for your site but also best for your business. you can sell your hosting and you hosting provider manage it

Reseller hosting is a tough market to be in with so many hosts offering it. If you want to standout with reseller hosting you will need to offer features that are not being offered yet or few are offering. End user support is popular for many who are new to the hosting business as it allows them to offer support. There are some drawbacks, but it is a feature that helps to sell. This is just an example of a feature you can offer to stand out.

The thing is if you want to offer reseller hosting you need to make sure you can execute it properly. It is no different than shared hosting when it comes to dealing with your customers. They will be demanding uptime for their customers and expect you to support them as well.

Some companies do very well with reseller hosting and standout in the community. If you are considering offering reseller hosting do your research and make sure you are ready so that when you launch you can provide top notch service. If you don't the word will get around quick.

Hope this helps you.

@easyhostmedia -- Master and Alpha reseller faded away because no reputable host is going to offer them. It is destined for disaster. Nothing to do with the 'cloud'.

As no reputable host offers them, the main way in is via a VPS (extremely bad idea) or a Dedicated Server (bad idea) and not to mention all the licensing costs to get to a stage where it is possible to offer these services.

With the price point, most of the new startups won't consider it as they'd much prefer a reseller which is easier to start out.

As for @OP - Yes I'd recommend you offer reseller hosting. There is still many, many potential clients looking specifically for reseller and I don't think will change anytime soon.

@easyhostmedia -- Master and Alpha reseller faded away because no reputable host is going to offer them. It is destined for disaster. Nothing to do with the 'cloud'.

As no reputable host offers them, the main way in is via a VPS (extremely bad idea) or a Dedicated Server (bad idea) and not to mention all the licensing costs to get to a stage where it is possible to offer these services.

With the price point, most of the new startups won't consider it as they'd much prefer a reseller which is easier to start out.

As for @OP - Yes I'd recommend you offer reseller hosting. There is still many, many potential clients looking specifically for reseller and I don't think will change anytime soon.

Well said Alex and very true. There is a reason that none of the biggest hosts have every offered master or alpha reseller hosting. To hard to guarantee quality.

It can be lucrative and rentable if you do it the right way, following several steps at a time. Establishing a reseller company is not easy it requires a lot of work and time but go for it.

not to mention all the licensing costs to get to a stage where it is possible to offer these services.

what licencing costs. when i first started in 1999 i took out a WHMReseller lifetime licence $99 and that is the only other cost needed.

yes i no longer offer Master Resellers as technology has moved on and if you as a client want a MR then it is easier and just as cheap to get a VPS.
That being said i still have 3 clients who have been with me from the start and are on MR plans and i have never had any issues with them.

what licencing costs. when i first started in 1999 i took out a WHMReseller lifetime licence $99 and that is the only other cost needed.

The server itself, cPanel license, backup software license, other features to remain remotely competitive such as Softaculous are just a few that comes to mind.

That being said i still have 3 clients who have been with me from the start and are on MR plans and i have never had any issues with them.

Sure you might not get issues with only 3 master resellers but at scale this isn't going to really work, it can only take a few fast growing master resellers to start causing issues.

The server itself, cPanel license, backup software license, other features to remain remotely competitive such as Softaculous are just a few that comes to mind.

Sure you might not get issues with only 3 master resellers but at scale this isn't going to really work, it can only take a few fast growing master resellers to start causing issues.

Yes on a large scale if will cause issues as you will soon lose control of how many and what sites are being hosting on your servers and you only have any contract with the original MR.

Even my MR are limited to only 20 cpanel accounts initially, if they need more they would have to open a ticket and request more accounts

it really depend, as alot of people who doing reseller does not have any system administration knowledge. And most importantly is the addon feature come with the package eg. billing software