Need advice about using a unmanaged VPS, please

danielpmc

Hello,

I have only used a Managed VPS in the past, but now i am looking into trying to manage my own VPS. I have never had the opportunity to login to a unmanaged VPS and am feeling a bit apprehensive. I have a company in mind that i can choose either KVM or OpenVZ with SolusVM. I have three domains i will be setting up on the VPS, all three are my personal websites. Two of them i have coded using simple html and one will be relatively small phpBB or SMF forum.

1. Between KVM or OpenVZ which one is better to use as a beginner, or does it make a difference?

2. Is SolusVM relatively easy to use as a beginner?

3. What would you advise as the first "Must Do" steps after logging in and seeing SolusVM?

4. How will i know when the OS needs to be updated?

Thanks for any guidance in advance.

Hi. Great thing by choosing an unmanaged VPS.

1)KVM is a fully virtualized machine, while OpenVZ is a container which means you will share the kernel between multiple VPSs. I would strongly recommend KVM because of the extra flexibility and security. The only downside would be the higher price, but in these days, the difference is not that high.
2) SolusVM is easy to use, but if you just want to host a few websites, I would recommend centos + cPanel as the web hosting control panel. You can not go wrong.
3) See number 3 above. I would update everything and install all the dependencies needed while also setting up a firewall or any kind of access control.
4) You can subscribe to the mailing list of that respective OS and check your email at least once a week to check for any critical security bugs or flaws. You should update every time a new one is discovered.

Cheers.

@HostAG,

Thanks for the input. Due to your response i am feeling more confident about using an unmanaged VPS for the first time. Feel free to add anything else that comes to mind.

1. I agree price wise there is not that much difference. When it comes to signing a hosting contract, quality of service is what i look for first, then price.

2. I have used Centos/Root access WHM/cPanel, and am very familiar with operating them. Thanks for the suggestion.

3. At my last host they had installed ConFigServer firewall and i was able to use a fair amount of the advanced features. So this is definitely on my list of software to either install or have installed for me.

4. Awesome, my biggest concern was how to know when the OS needed to be updated.

What is always worth noting is whether you are looking to increase the size of the VPS in the future.
KVM is a hypervisor-driven technology whilst OpenVZ is a container technology.
With OpenVZ the resources available can be changed on the fly (Memory, SWAP, DiskSpace, CPUs etc) by the host, without downtime, if you need to upgrade. This can be done on KVM, but it's not as simple a process.
If OpenVZ is all you need (i.e. not thinking about CloudLinux or Atomic Linux kernels) then it is usually more performant due to the shared kernel having less overhead.

@ughosting,

Very good point about whether or not i need future expansion. Just when i thought i knew everything, just kidding! But on a serious note your reply definitely shows i have more to think about. Before when i was on a Managed VPS, support would upgrade as i needed. But using a Unmanaged VPS, i need to start thinking smarter.

I am really thankful for all the suggestions and tips people are sharing.

Hello,

After considering all the information i do want to go with KVM/WHM/cPanel in a Unmanaged VPS. Since these are my personal sites i can accept downtime if i were needing an upgrade in KVM resources. On the other hand if it was a business or an uptime critical site then i would start looking into a Dedicated Server.

Quick question please,
-How long should it take a reputable hosts support crew to upgrade a entry level KVM VPS to a mid-level, less than 24 hours or is it more?

Thanks

Hello,

After considering all the information i do want to go with KVM/WHM/cPanel in a Unmanaged VPS. Since these are my personal sites i can accept downtime if i were needing an upgrade in KVM resources. On the other hand if it was a business or an uptime critical site then i would start looking into a Dedicated Server.

Quick question please,
-How long should it take a reputable hosts support crew to upgrade a entry level KVM VPS to a mid-level, less than 24 hours or is it more?

Thanks
It should take less than 24 hours. I can't imagine why it would take longer than that.

Hello
my opinion openvz is the best for beginner

solusvm panel is not a good panel you can use other solution ispsystem for exemple

Cheers.

It should take less than 24 hours. I can't imagine why it would take longer than that.

Glad to know that. Thanks

Hello
my opinion openvz is the best for beginner

solusvm panel is not a good panel you can use other solution ispsystem for exemple

Cheers.

I like the WHM/cPanel combo as it has always been able to do as i needed. SolusVM is usually what i see advertised as part of Unmanaged VPS. So figured i may as well look into it. I mainly want to learn a new technology, KVM, as i have used OpenVZ,Virtuozzo before.

If the sites are just yours (or even other peoples sites but you're managing them), then I recommend OpenVZ because you won't need to worry about updating kernel like you would with KVM. If you plan to setup Shared hosting type server then you're going to need LVE from CloudLinux to limit resources for all your users, and so, in that case, KVM would be required.

As these sites are just yours (or even other peoples sites but you're managing them), then I'd recommend OpenVZ with cPanel/WHM, install free software firewall like CSF and use decent mod_security rules. cPanel/WHM takes care of a lot of updates automatically. You'd need to update PHP/MySQL from time to time manually. And even though provider is offering unmanaged, sometimes they'll help with minor issues here and there. Just be careful not to be too needy when using an unmanaged plan or they'll ask you to upgrade. Not usually a problem for small issues, though.

Hope that helps?

1. Between KVM or OpenVZ which one is better to use as a beginner, or does it make a difference?
-- OpenVZ Is good for you and bad for your customer because of you can easily oversell resource but now a day's people prefer to use KVM so I will recommended you to go for KVM.

-- Not so easy but you need to read many tutorials for setting up your server. Its not easy to setup KVM Internet setup specially for beginners.

-- You can subscribe to some vulnerability explorer site/forum and keep your eye on security and also upgrade your OS frequently.

Reboot is not required unless there is a bug/security issue in kernel.

OpenVZ Is good for you and CAN BE bad for your customer because of you can easily oversell resource

I think you missed the important keywords CAN BE from that sentence. :)

but now a day's people prefer to use KVM so I will recommended you to go for KVM

I don't always prefer KVM, and sure many others agree with me on that, too. For personal use, I prefer OpenVZ over KVM. For Shared hosting server, KVM for the reasons I mentioned in my previous reply above. As long as the provider is reputable and manages things properly it doesn't matter which virtualization it is. In some cases, you get to use a lot more resources with OpenVZ whereas you couldn't do that with KVM. So using OpenVZ can go in the customer's favour if anything, again, as long as the VPS node is beefy CPU/MEM wise then it's great.

Last edited:
all my servers are OpenVZ servers

I offer plans that will push my server limits and may oversell to what resources i have on my server, but know my clients do use a lot of resources. I would rather change clients a little bit more and give them plenty of resources than keep upselling to them.

But i lock down my servers when they reach 70% capacity, so gives some room to prevent them from getting slow.

I have never had any issues on my servers since i started using VPS in 2001.

Hello,

I have only used a Managed VPS in the past, but now i am looking into trying to manage my own VPS. I have never had the opportunity to login to a unmanaged VPS and am feeling a bit apprehensive. I have a company in mind that i can choose either KVM or OpenVZ with SolusVM. I have three domains i will be setting up on the VPS, all three are my personal websites. Two of them i have coded using simple html and one will be relatively small phpBB or SMF forum.

3. What would you advise as the first "Must Do" steps after logging in and seeing SolusVM?

I would say that the best way to learn (and the cheapest) is OpenVZ. I say this because with OpenVZ you stay away from the configurations (network, drivers, etc). The OS after installing is ready to roll.
With KVM you can also achieve this, but I believe that this should be a second step for you.

By the way, when you're referring to SolusVM is the control panel that it's supplied by your provider, correct?

Hello , KVm with virtualizor powered unmanaged VPS is very easy to manage.Almost like a managed server such installing softwares reload os rdns etc..

Hello,

Hello,

My thoughts :

1. KVM
3. Apply updates / enforce security / setup a backup / write down ip configuration.
4. Depends on the OS but that should be checked everydays.

I would say that the best way to learn (and the cheapest) is OpenVZ. I say this because with OpenVZ you stay away from the configurations (network, drivers, etc). The OS after installing is ready to roll.
With KVM you can also achieve this, but I believe that this should be a second step for you.

By the way, when you're referring to SolusVM is the control panel that it's supplied by your provider, correct?

Yes, SolusVM is what i am finding to be offered as a default install on VPSs

Hello , KVm with virtualizor powered unmanaged VPS is very easy to manage.Almost like a managed server such installing softwares reload os rdns etc..

What do you mean by ''virtualizer powered''?

Thanks to all of you for responding. I am learning a lot from your experiences. Since i currently rely on end user support by my Reseller hosting company, i have not had to learn indepth about each aspect of servers. One day down the line i hope to purchase servers and offer hosting on my own. Couple of years away, though. My experience in hosting is related to security of forums and blogs. I have done contract work doing MINOR security penetration testing for individuals. Note i said minor, i am in no way an expert. I learned computers when all that was available was a 70 pound computer and little to none graphics era of the internet. But you would be surprised at how much of that era is used in todays world of hackers.

If you are not sure on unmanaged server, then can i suggest you get a managed server.
Just because it is managed does not mean you cannot learn from it and you have the security of server admins if you get stuck.

Can I ask why you are looking for a VPS and not a good shared host?

If you are not sure on unmanaged server, then can i suggest you get a managed server.
Just because it is managed does not mean you cannot learn from it and you have the security of server admins if you get stuck.

When i was with WiredTree i had a managed VPS and really enjoyed the time as it gave me the opportunity to learn about the mechanisims of a VPS. But my long term goal is Colo and i need to learn as much about servers as i can before offering server space to clients. My intentions are not to host on a large scale, but i want to at least be able to say to clients that they are on a server(s) owned and operated by me directly, along with a support crew.

But in a nutshell, i love to challenge myself. I have self taught myself photography, darkroom, mountain climbing with ropes and gear, long distance backpacking, finding edible plants in the wild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hostys