Massive cPanel price rises

The sudden price increase has hampered the setup time of server orders. Until we sort out the charges and let the new user know about the extra charges, change prices in WHMCS.. a lot of work really.

The sudden price increase has hampered the setup time of server orders. Until we sort out the charges and let the new user know about the extra charges, change prices in WHMCS.. a lot of work really.

Exactly as no good telling a customer its $15 for cpanel licence and then you find out you have to pay $20 a licence

These new prices are going to hit small hosts bad as most will have more tha 5 accounts, so from $15 to $30 is a big increase.
Admin
Up to 5 Accounts
$20 a month
Ideal for a small to mid-level agencies and businesses, application developers, and web designers only needing a few accounts.

Pro
Up to 30 Accounts
$30 a month
Optimal for mid-level businesses and large agencies that are growing. Allows for scalability.

Premier
Up to 100 Accounts
$45 a month
Each Account above 100 Accounts $0.20 each

Created for data centers, enterprise level businesses, and larger web hosts

prices from https://cpanel.net/pricing/

I still fail to understand the exact reason of this hike! This hike can force some hosting companies to leave the business completely, pretty brutal.

I still fail to understand the exact reason of this hike! This hike can force some hosting companies to leave the business completely, pretty brutal.

Oakley Capital who are behind Plesk bough cPanel last year (https://hostingjournalist.com/web-h...pany-behind-plesk-oakley-capital-buys-cpanel/) and Plesk have sold their licences this way for year and if you think back cPanel also started this system with WHMCS a few years back.

but yes it will see a lot of hosts move away from cpanel

Y'all crack me up. 10 cents per account and the sky is falling.

Raise the price of your packages by 10 cents.

As someone that has used cpanel since 2000, it's more than just a 10 cent hike. We had owned licenses which we spent quite a bit of money on, and those are now also no longer "owned". And a 10 cent increase affects credit card payments, marketing and other aspects too.

The part that is the big issue for many hosts is that it's retroactive. It's not that this change happens for all future accounts, it's happening to all accounts period.

So, with 7,000 accounts, and 100 servers, the price only goes up! Now, we were an NOC partner, so we got the licenses at $25/month. I have not seen any information regarding NOC pricing changes as of yet.

But lets do the math;

100 servers @ $25/month = $2,500
100 servers @ $45/month = $4,500 ($2,000 increase initially)

Some servers have 500+ accounts on them, so lets just say 500;
(100 accounts @ $45) + (400 x 0.20) = $125

SO, now, lets look at the breakdown;

10 servers w/ 500 users = $1,250/month
90 eCommerce servers @ $45 each = $4,050/month

Our bill, JUST TO cPanel, went from $2,500/month (30k/year) to $5,300/month ($63,600/year)

And what do we get for that? ZERO, no new features, no nothing, just a price increase over over $33k

So, yes, while you say it's only a 10 cent increase ($0.20/account), the actual cost is far greater.

Again, this doesn't even count the money we will be spending to redesign aspects of our sites, graphics, promotion, marketing and honoring past agreements with clients. This is not for FUTURE signups, this is for EXISTING signups.

As someone that has used cpanel since 2000, it's more than just a 10 cent hike. We had owned licenses which we spent quite a bit of money on, and those are now also no longer "owned". And a 10 cent increase affects credit card payments, marketing and other aspects too.

The part that is the big issue for many hosts is that it's retroactive. It's not that this change happens for all future accounts, it's happening to all accounts period.

So, with 7,000 accounts, and 100 servers, the price only goes up! Now, we were an NOC partner, so we got the licenses at $25/month. I have not seen any information regarding NOC pricing changes as of yet.

But lets do the math;

100 servers @ $25/month = $2,500
100 servers @ $45/month = $4,500 ($2,000 increase initially)

Some servers have 500+ accounts on them, so lets just say 500;
(100 accounts @ $45) + (400 x 0.20) = $125

SO, now, lets look at the breakdown;

10 servers w/ 500 users = $1,250/month
90 eCommerce servers @ $45 each = $4,050/month

Our bill, JUST TO cPanel, went from $2,500/month (30k/year) to $5,300/month ($63,600/year)

And what do we get for that? ZERO, no new features, no nothing, just a price increase over over $33k

So, yes, while you say it's only a 10 cent increase ($0.20/account), the actual cost is far greater.

Again, this doesn't even count the money we will be spending to redesign aspects of our sites, graphics, promotion, marketing and honoring past agreements with clients. This is not for FUTURE signups, this is for EXISTING signups.

exactly Conor

for a VPS a cPanel licence was $14.95 for unlimited accounts

when i was hosting i had 230 accounts on a VPS

so my $14.95 a month would suddenly go upto

$45 for the first 100 accounts then $26 for the remaining 130 accounts

so an increase of $56.05 a month

so far more than 10% and then i would have to reprice all my plans to cover the additional costs and then explain to current clients their plans are going to increase drastically to cover the cpanel increase.

Y'all crack me up. 10 cents per account and the sky is falling.
It's not .10 per account, it's .20 if you buy directly from cPanel. If you buy from a reseller, it's whatever they charge you (and bet it won't be under .20)

The problem is that this is just unacceptable, and will affect the entire industry in massive ways.

Firstly, it's not just .20 an account. It's .20 + whatever base you have to use to get there (for the first 100 accounts, it's set base price). You cannot just claim .20 per account

Secondly, this isn't just active accounts. So, those of you that have pretty generous grace periods for people who don't pay (I've seen a LOT of companies who keep delinquent accounts suspended for 6+ months)? Yeah, that's gone bye bye.

Thirdly, there are reseller accounts to consider. How do you propose that you start charging per account for those? HMM??!?!?!?!?!?

Nobody at all is denying that cPanel deserves a raise. Hell, they've kept the prices the same for some 20 years now, so yes, raise them up. Double them. Hell, call me crazy, but I say triple 'em. The product is good, so why the hell not... As long as you GIVE the clients something for that.

What we have here is 1000x+ current cost in some cases, simply because greed, and nothing more.

Thirdly, there are reseller accounts to consider. How do you propose that you start charging per account for those? HMM??!?!?!?!?!?
I dare say cPanel will have placed a script within the software so they know how many accounts (active/nonactive) within your licenced server and charge accordingly.

Most hosts will have over 30 accounts on their servers, so will fall into the high bracket, so a triple price increase from $15 to $45+ a month.

I can see a lot of charities being left without hosting as i know some hosts give charities free hosting

Yikes.

We've noticed some customers moving towards DirectAdmin. What is everyone's current opinion on DA? It looks like a solid control panel.

cPanel is rolling back some of their pricing release information (especially for NOC partners).

I think they've hurt their overall image and trust in the community, but there will be plenty who stay with them.

DA seems to be one of the big places everyone is headed toward. It certainly opens the door for another control panel to come in and make a name for themselves!

It certainly opens the door for another control panel to come in and make a name for themselves!

THIS.

First thought of mine when the news hit. A product as good as cPanel shooting itself in the foot and leaving plenty of room for an outside opportunity. It's actually worth considering.

I don't know why there is no any good alternative. Maybe because of lack of fund.

There was good alternative like Plesk with good UI but even it was bought by same company.

DirectAdmin is good but it really need huge improvement in automation and making it more stable. Bug free.

There was good alternative like Plesk with good UI but even it was bought by same company.

yes as since they bought Plesk they have forced the same style price structure onto WHMCS and now cPanel.

As what cPanel are doing now plesk have always done it.

Centos Web Panel is a good free alternative to cPanel

I would suggest to move cpanel based servers to plesk with cloudlinux , almost shared hosting compenies who are having sites in thousands moving to plesk which is also good and stable control panel , although this is not a good decision I have seen hundreds of customers moving from cpanel to cwp or plesk.

Since Plesk and cPanel are owned by the same company, I'm not sure I could give that advice.

I would suggest to move cpanel based servers to plesk with cloudlinux , almost shared hosting compenies who are having sites in thousands moving to plesk which is also good and stable control panel , although this is not a good decision I have seen hundreds of customers moving from cpanel to cwp or plesk.

You are aware that both cPanel and Plesk are owned by Oakley Capital.

As Oakley Capital owned Plesk and then bought out cPanel, so they are moving cPanel to the same pricing structure Plesk have been using for years.

DA seems to be one of the big places everyone is headed toward. It certainly opens the door for another control panel to come in and make a name for themselves!

A few months into the process, and I have to say, I love what DA has done with themselves.

Sure, there are those that'll bitch about the cost ($30/month for 'unlimited sites'), but that's the cost of doing business kids.

One of the reasons I always loved DA was the customization that can be done. I love getting in there and tweaking things, getting that extra bit of performance from this or that.

Sadly, that's also one of the things they're lacking on too. No way to (easily) put subdomains outside of the public_html root by default is just a bad, bad thing..

That and the lack of server -> server transfer options is just bad all around.

Overall, since I last played with 'em, DA has made great improvements.