Managed or unmanaged VPS?

Most of the hosts offer managed service free of cost. If you are well-versed in VPS hosting, have the required server knowlege and the time to manage a server, you can go for a unmanaged VPS.

Managed hosting is far less work and requires little expertise. Your hosting company will usually be responsible for server configuration, maintenance, software update, server security, etc.

Most of the hosts offer managed service free of cost.

I dont think so, if you order a VPS then an Unmanaged VPS may cost you $5 a mth, but chose the option to have this managed and the price will go upto to $30 a mth or more depending on the host.

When i was host and being a 1 man band even though i knew my was around a server i chose a managed server as this means you have extra help at hand if needed rather than come across an issue you cant figure out and then have to ask your host who will then charge you upto $100 per issue.

It is all about your budget. Management is the main thing in any server. You have to do it properly on your own or hiring a sysadmin. If you have a budget then go for managed VPS hosting with cPanel as a control panel. It hardly costs $50 starting. Or if you don't have any budget then do it on your own. As simple as that.

Managing a Server requires knowledge and hands-on experience. If you are beginner then opt managed VPS, it will cost you more but give less headache.

Managed hosting means managing all the activities of the server, which is an ultimate responsibility of the hosting provider. There are multiple activities that providers perform, such as monitoring server performance, security, backups, malware removal, customer support, updates, SSL installations and more. As I said before, your account is set up by the provider on the server and the server itself comes with an installed operating system and software like cPanel, Plesk, WHM, etc.

Managed hosting means managing all the activities of the server, which is an ultimate responsibility of the hosting provider.

Not 100% true as the server is still your responsibility. all Managed means is that the host will carry out any tasks you ask of them without asking for any further funds.

I suggest anyone getting a managed server to try and carry out as much as they can on their own as just jumping to your host to do every task means you will learn nothing.

Also even if you know your way around a server then getting a managed server will give you an extra set of hands if you need help

managed VPS: I this service all you server activities will be managed by your service provider. If you are new at this field do not know how to manage server then this would be the best optoin

Unmanaged VPS:This service can be taken if you are tech savy person and can manage server

If you are having some server management knowledge then unmanaged could be fine , If new to the VPS then Managed would keep you away from the hassle of manageing server

I would also have to agree. if you are new to this type of thing then managed. If you have enough experience and technology geekness to run it yourself then go for unmanaged.

As a new person to vps you may face things your not aware of on how to handle so you would need someone with the right skills.

Do be aware though, that some managed servers (especially where there are high SLAs) don't give you root, so you won't be learning much in a hurry.

In general most of clients wish managed services, smaller % go unmanaged, but if they know how to handle OS, upgrades, security etc.

That is not our experience; very few customers chose managed. They want unmanaged and then may be persuaded to upgrade to managed once they hit a problem.

And there is the issue.

Once a server has been unmanaged, should you then take it over as managed, or should you migrate it?
We've always chosen the latter.

We don't allow root access on fully managed servers and as cannot guarantee the binaries etc.

managed vs unmanaged vps

In unmanaged hosting provider will provide you fresh OS without any LAMP or application setup, if you are having google knowledge of server setup, DNS, hosting a website, backup setup, security, etc then you can go with unmanaged hosting that is very cheap nowadays.

managed hosting provider provides you a control panel as well and support to host a website and take care of server setup, security, optimization and support you to host a website, cost is high than unmanaged server, if you have good budget and concern about security and data is important you should go with managed provider for proactive support and regular updates of server.

Last edited:
If you are new to Hosting and don't know much of Hosting,then it is always preferred that you go with Managed VPS as you would get Support from the Support Team in case you are held-up anywhere,In Managed VPS you get that advantage of the support team to guide you as and when required providing 24/7 assistance.
Else
If you have a good Technical Knowledge then you can go with Unmanaged VPS,wherein there is no brief support being provided and you can save a penny.

We suggest that the managed hosting is the best option because the provider handles the setup, administration, management, and support of the server or platform application of the server

Managed VPS hosting is better for:
  • non-tech savvy users
  • busy tech-savvy users pressed for time and energy
  • tech-savvy users not comfortable with managing VPS setup and security
Unmanaged VPS hosting is better for:
  • Tech savvy users wanting more control over the environment
  • Business owners willing and able to hire tech-savvy users to set up, manage, and secure their VPS

Managed VPS hosting is better for:
  • non-tech savvy users
  • busy tech-savvy users pressed for time and energy
  • tech-savvy users not comfortable with managing VPS setup and security
Also Managed VPS is useful for 1 man ran businesses, so giving them extra hands to help out if needed.

I would always say to opt for managed. As a provider, all of the managed VPSs are plumbed into the alerting system and we can foresee trends and avoid issues. i.e. inform customers they need to increase disk-space or add memory etc before resources are all exhausted. This is not always taken kindly by the end user, but then you can't force them to upgrade, even when they should.