Manage or unmanage servers?

And just check those hourly rates should you need their assistance with something and you can't use kvm with that unmanaged server...

both are having their own stand, advantages and disadvantages. it all depend on the requirements of your business and budget. If you have best technical team you can choose unmanaged hosting and if you have good budget and you can afford then go for managed hosting.

also if you use a managed server, and you ask for assistance on an issue, then just ask the techs

what was wrong?
how did they fix it?

then print off their reply and slowly build up your own KB of issues they have fixed, so if something like that happens again you have the info at hand to fix it yourself, all part of the learning curve

Unmanaged if you have knowledge for all issue you will occur to your server. Else go managed pay for the service and relax, let he hosting company take the pain for the issue.

Both Managed & Unmanaged have its advantages as well as disadvantages but unmanaged should be only used by the experienced persons who are able to handle all by yourself & who are not experienced better to go with managed where if something goes wrong the staff are there to fix it....

As others have said this will depend on your server knowledge. Have a long think about how much you actually know. Also, make sure you contact the company before hand asking apart of the "managed" package what's actually included. I know of some companies who offer a fully managed service for hardware but they won't cover any software issues with your machine - as ridiculous as this sounds.

Go managed. It is especially good for small to medium sized business firms since it is very costly to hire a full-time in-house webmaster to maintain their websites.

Since maintaining a business website for maximum uptime is very important nowadays, managed hosting would be the perfect solution for business to outsource the technical demand to the professionals from the web hosting firms.

Managed web hosting plans are much more costly than unmanaged.

Manage services for slow learners managers

well, to my opinion this questions should be answered by those we are late tech adopters or not, if you are busniess holder and dont have a clue regarding the web hosting issue, maybe it is better for you to invest and take manage services.

Its depend on many thing are you using this server for your self, you don't know server management, and also kind of sites/business you plan to operate from that server, some time a person who know server need managed support due to work load.

A host with strictly unmanaged services can really leave you in the dark when things go wrong. It also speaks volumes about the said host's technical capabilities because it shows their voluntary abandonment of supporting customer problems.

Go with a host that offers at minimum a basic level of included technical support and hopefully one that also has an option for full management. This should give you basic assistance if ever needed but also the option to get more help should the need arise.

Last thing I will also note that full management can mean so much more than just server administration. Full Management may also mean server and site monitoring, off-site backups and restorations, OS and security updates, SPAM filtering, DNS assistance, control panel assistance, etc etc etc. So when asking about full management also as yourself if you will need help in any of these areas as well.

Our techs are CISCO-certified, for example, and majority of our clients prefer managed servers, as they trust us. They prefer paying few extra bucks for protection, rather than spending sleepless nights trying to find a solution.

I don't really care about certification. I worked with people certified most of them (not all) are out of knowledge. Today school is based on group (not individual) so if a group of let's say 10 people are doing CISCO-certification there is one person so is very good and will push all the group so all of them will be certified, but only one will know for sure CISCO networking well. Maybe I am too optimistic with numbers and is worst than this....And another thing almost all today schools are doing business not school...

I have seen and worked with people with a lot of certification, university etc (of course big salaries and complicated job titles) but the knowledge is almost 0. They are more politicians, selling promises, and they know very well to say yes to the boss....I guess those days is all that matter, to say yes to the boss and how smart the boss is...

Regards

Managed is always better option, unless you are an expert. Manages gives you the peace of mind of not having to fix issues on your server. With a knowledgeable tech staff, you can issues fixed very quickly and focus on your site/business as opposed to fixing server issues.

Do remember though.
If you take a managed server, you might not be able to setup it up exactly how you like it.
It will only be able to be supported in a manner your support company or host will support.

So before you start things like CPanel, with NGINX, Varnish and Hip-Hop PHP with MongoDB..... think again.

If you do find such a company, they will not be cheap, and they may be learning what to do as you pay them.

I suggest to go with un-managed servers if you're a server freak! Most important is security, you can chose your own security and many other security features if you are managing your server by your own.

It depends on your knowledge, time to manage, budget and some other factors. If you have enough knowledge, enough time to stay on top of your server you save your money and get an unmanaged server. Otherwise managed service is better choice. Because you spend more money in trade off having less headaches and less risks. However nowadays there are lots of technical information resources available on the web that can eaily help you to find and solve problems. Also some unmanaged service providers (like us) offer one-time setup and configuration.

First of all, you must read SLA and know what exactly your service provider will do for you. Then you must undestand do you have enough skills to work with server or you need server admin.

Well, it all depends on the knowledge we do have, if we can manage the server by our own, I would suggest to go with unmanaged servers to configure the servers as per our needs.